Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

Old thread's at deleting age. Figured with a throwback style Sonic game and Brood War remastered both coming out in the last few days the title was apt. 

Speaking of, the Brood War launch stream yesterday with Day9, InControl, Tasteless & Artosis doing commentary with some old Brood War pros playing each other in a tournament was really fantastic (Artosis & InControl are also playing in it). I was never involved in the Starcraft scene and never watched much of it either but it was absolutely hilarious. If you were into the game or the esports scene at all you gotta check it out, I think it continues today. 

I picked up Hearthstone again with the new xpac just coming out. Sticking to my guns on not spending any more money on the game though, which means I'm lacking a lot of cards from the Un Goro expansion and this one but oh well. I got the priest Death Knight card as my free one for beating the prologue of the adventure and I slid that into my old Raza shadow priest deck with a few other changes to make it standard compatible. Been having a lot of fun with it. Free 2 damage every time you play a card is pretty insane, and makes you feel super smart when you plan out a complicated turn and it actually works :lol: 

Since we are talking old Sonic... FWIW, Sega is putting all their old content available on the App Store for free.  There's a commercial that plays before the game starts (or you can pay a small amount for it).  I've been piddling with Phantasy Star 2 a bit.  I always liked that game, but it could be very unforgiving.  

Anyone around here play any online games and would like to team up?

I just downloaded DC Universe online but don't have anyone to play with, I've also been known to dabble with GTA 5.

Psychos and serial killers needn't contact.

PM me or post here if you want to hang out and play sometime.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I've been debating whether I want to get Uncharted: The Lost Legacy next week.  I did love me some Chloe...

I guess it's fair to debate if you want it next week. But I would request you hand in your Playstation super secret key if you were debating getting it at all.

Anyway, I'm pretty shit at Total War Warhammer. Playing Greenskins on normal and I am sure I should be much further along in sweeping the land with my green tide than I am. I haven't decided whether I enjoy the game enough to drop the extra $$ to get the Wood Elves expansion. Wood Elves are my jam from the IRL game. I wanna build a forest spirit army and see how far I can go in figuratively re-foresting the whole world.

In some ways being turn based makes my dithering worse. If it was real time, like in AoE, then I am forced to get on with things.

It's funny really, the overworld game is turn based, which reflects how one plays Warhammer IRL, but IRL Warhammer doesn't have an overworld element. But the actual battles are real time, which is exactly not how Warhammer is played IRL.

My Norsca campaign is winding down. Norsca is mine, as are all the coastal settlements from Kislev around to Tilea. Bretonnia, the Empire and the Wood Elves are dead, the Dwarves and Greenskins are stalemated in the Badlands, and of the remaining factions all are weak except for a Vampire Counts + Von Carstein alliance that controls the lands east of Altdorf and south of Kislev. Other than the vampires and I guess Archeon there's not much left to kill. 

Fighting Bretonnia with my Wulfrik mammoth army was awesome. Every battle was like this

I'm caught between wanting to start a new dwarf campaign and wanting to wait for the combined map so I can go teach elves and lizards about artillery. 

I had posted this in the old thread last night, but really enjoying Sonic Mania so far.  My only complaint is I would have liked modern graphics instead of 16-bit, but the rest of the gameplay is great.  Hopefully Sega will continue the franchise in this vein and forget the last 15 years or so of Sonic disasters.

7 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

My Norsca campaign is winding down. Norsca is mine, as are all the coastal settlements from Kislev around to Tilea. Bretonnia, the Empire and the Wood Elves are dead, the Dwarves and Greenskins are stalemated in the Badlands, and of the remaining factions all are weak except for a Vampire Counts + Von Carstein alliance that controls the lands east of Altdorf and south of Kislev. Other than the vampires and I guess Archeon there's not much left to kill. 

Fighting Bretonnia with my Wulfrik mammoth army was awesome. Every battle was like this

I'm caught between wanting to start a new dwarf campaign and wanting to wait for the combined map so I can go teach elves and lizards about artillery. 

I've taken it more slowly with my Norsca campaign. I just finished off Kislev, and one of the other Norscan tribes is still alive because I had allied with them early on. I love that with the Norcans, confederation works by first beating them, and then becoming friends.

I don't know what other re-balancing stuff CA has done, but some weird stuff has been going on in my campaign. Chaos hasn't shown yet, not even a peep. Because of the way I approached the campaign, I largely left the Empire states alone. I raid their lands to make money, but if they don't declare war on me, I don't go on a rampage. Kislev declared war on me, and now they've paid the price. This has resulted in the destruction of Bretonnia by Mousillon on one end, and Nordland (yes, Nordland) at the other; and this happened despite Bretonnia achieving full confederation. I haven't even begun to seriously raid and conquer Bretonnian lands. I've been on and off at war with Mousillon, so I am starting to look that way, now that I've dealt with Kislev.

I am also warring with the Empire, which is pretty weak right now, and have conquered Aldorf, which I timed nearly perfectly with my research advancements, as now I will be able to get that point on the research tree.

The monster hunts are a good way to make money, and the final battles are challenging. The ones that were really worth it were the ones that gave you units.

Balancing devotion to the gods is a challenge. I started with devotion towards the Serpent because of the upkeep bonus, but now I've decided that I want that ice hell canon, so I am going for the Hound. Once I gain that unit, I'll resume devotion to the Serpent.

Once I finish off this campaign, I'll won't start another, and wait for Warhammer II.

Quick question on Chaos / Vampire influence on a region. I hold one settlement in a province and a Dwarf lord hold 2 settlements. The Vampire influence is getting up there quite substantially (over 30% now). Is there naught I can do with that until I conquer the whole province? Those Dwarf buggers decided to declare war on me, so I can't just ignore them. Should I abandon that settlement and just let the VC deal with them? If/when I decide to start pushing North-East it's not necessarily an ideal staging ground.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Quick question on Chaos / Vampire influence on a region. I hold one settlement in a province and a Dwarf lord hold 2 settlements. The Vampire influence is getting up there quite substantially (over 30% now). Is there naught I can do with that until I conquer the whole province? Those Dwarf buggers decided to declare war on me, so I can't just ignore them. Should I abandon that settlement and just let the VC deal with them? If/when I decide to start pushing North-East it's not necessarily an ideal staging ground.

Which faction are you playing with?

If the settlement is not that strategic, I wouldn't bother losing units for it. There are ways to reduce Vampiric corruption, usually with heroes, or even having a lord there that has skills related to that.

40 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Which faction are you playing with?

If the settlement is not that strategic, I wouldn't bother losing units for it. There are ways to reduce Vampiric corruption, usually with heroes, or even having a lord there that has skills related to that.

Greenskins.

It's hard to know whether it's strategic or not. It's a pretty good staging point to taking over the rest of the province. But for rolling the green tide up the North-West (oops just noticed I said North-East in the previous post) I'm not sure. It was a settlement I didn't even know I owned until I got an alert that the settlement got attacked by someone. I put some gold into restoring it and recruited a lord there. But that was when there was low Vampiric corruption. Now it seems to be running a bit rampant because of what's going on in the other areas of in the province. Everything is actually quite in my corner of the province.

I just wonder if I should take over the whole province and thus be able to directly counter the corruption in all areas, or leave it for dead and focus on securing other parts of the map, then go back. It's not easy for anyone to get from that settlement to my home province, so I don't think it's defensively important. I'm actually a bit more worried about the Dwarfs to the south. They've got a bit aggressive with neighbouring Greenskin tribes, and although I have a non-aggression pact with them the relationship is deteriorating and I think they might break it. And they can directly threaten my home province. Maybe I should strike first there. Create a Southern buffer, then look to the North.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't know what other re-balancing stuff CA has done, but some weird stuff has been going on in my campaign. Chaos hasn't shown yet, not even a peep.

Balancing devotion to the gods is a challenge. I started with devotion towards the Serpent because of the upkeep bonus, but now I've decided that I want that ice hell canon, so I am going for the Hound. Once I gain that unit, I'll resume devotion to the Serpent.

Chaos are actually triggered by Norsca maxing out devotion to one of the gods (the others get locked out, fyi).

Then you have to defeat a series of challengers sent by the other gods you neglected, then you're apparently (I haven't done this yet) given a choice whether to join Archeon's invasion or challenge him and become the Everchosen.

46 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Chaos are actually triggered by Norsca maxing out devotion to one of the gods (the others get locked out, fyi).

Hide contents

Then you have to defeat a series of challengers sent by the other gods you neglected, then you're apparently (I haven't done this yet) given a choice whether to join Archeon's invasion or challenge him and become the Everchosen.

I got to the challengers part, and destroyed 2 of them. hmm, interesting development. Considering that I'm near completing the rest of the campaign goals, Chaos could roll over everyone. The VC could give them a fight, but no one else.

Did the appearance of Chaos change at all when playing with other factions?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Greenskins.

With Greenskins, the main focus should be Dwarfs, then Empire or factions related to the Empire. 

On a related subject, the Skaven have finally been revealed for Warhammer II

37 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I got to the challengers part, and destroyed 2 of them. hmm, interesting development. Considering that I'm near completing the rest of the campaign goals, Chaos could roll over everyone. The VC could give them a fight, but no one else.

Did the appearance of Chaos change at all when playing with other factions?

With Greenskins, the main focus should be Dwarfs, then Empire or factions related to the Empire. 

On a related subject, the Skaven have finally been revealed for Warhammer II

I think Chaos operates as normal when not playing Norsca. I'm at a similar point, but I might run two saves and see how each decision goes. I'm the only one left to really challenge Chaos, but then again I've never seen Chaos survive long enough to make it into the dwarven/orc area, so it'll be interesting to see how they fare against them. 

Skaven look cool, but I'll probably never play them. The further the factions stray from being human the less interest I seem to have. (still hoping for Kislev and Tilea/Estalia factions at some point)

7 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Skaven look cool, but I'll probably never play them. The further the factions stray from being human the less interest I seem to have. (still hoping for Kislev and Tilea/Estalia factions at some point)

I've given every race a try, even though I have never been able to finish with Greenskins or Vampires, as I don't find them that interesting. Since this game merits repeat gameplays, I will do the same with W2. I am curious about the Skaven, but I am more interested in the Lizardmen.

18 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

I think Chaos operates as normal when not playing Norsca. I'm at a similar point, but I might run two saves and see how each decision goes. I'm the only one left to really challenge Chaos, but then again I've never seen Chaos survive long enough to make it into the dwarven/orc area, so it'll be interesting to see how they fare against them. 

Funny. I am pretty much the opposite. Being human myself, I find playing as "one of me" to be kind of a missed opportunity. I think it's also why I gravitate to playing as female characters (such as in Mass Effect and Dragon Age). Being a dude, playing a dude is not making maximum use of the fantasy world in which I'm placing myself.

The one thing I do find hard is playing evil. Even as the Greenskins I find myself having merciful thoughts and accepting non-aggression pacts and pleas for peace when I think such would be out of character for an Orc Warboss. Are Orcs kinda OP with the Waaagh!? I have my main lord and a goblin lord both currently being accompanied by a Waaagh! Pretty much on an unstoppable rampage through the last Southern tribe of Dwarfs. I feel like once you get a few Waaaghs! The Green tide becomes unassailable. I've got another two Orc lords rampaging together with one Waaagh! following along. So I have 3 Waaagh! armies on the map all at once now. I think the Dwarfs are pretty much screwed now. Though I'm thinking of leaving the Northern most Dwarfs alone for a while because Chaos has turned up and those Dwarfs can be a buffer.

Finished Pyre, I really liked it a lot; more than Bastion. It was just a really charming game, and the gameplay itself got pretty challenging in the end as well. The story was decent enough, but it was the characters (and artwork and music) that made it for me.

My one issue is that since the characters are the heart of the game, it takes way too long before revealing that some (definitely not all, but some) of your rivals are pretty decent people as well, and it maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if one of them beat you in a liberation rite (there's even an achievement for it, called 'Mercy'). There was one rival in particular that after the second time I beat him, the dialog afterwards made me realize that I really wanted him to have his freedom. Problem was, by that point, there was just no way of arranging things to get him back to another liberation rite before the game ended.

Solid reviews for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. A Chloe-centric game was a bit of a risk. Even though plenty of series fans liked the idea of a Chloe-centric story, actually doing a good job of it was still quite a risk. Looking forward to playing it.

The author Paolo Bacigalupi is a Fallout fan, apparently. Been reading The Water Knife, set in the American southwest during some major worldwide drought as different semi-legal groups fight for control over rivers and dams in a dystopian future, which immediately brought some New Vegas thoughts into my head. Then he mentions the existence of a Fallout 9 game, and later mentions a tv character known as the Burned Man. 

Archived