Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

Phantom Doctrine looks good. It's basically XCOM but you're controlling a team of spies going on clandestine missions across the world for more focus on infiltration and staying undetected rather than combat. Looks pretty good. It's made by the same people who made Hard West, which was 2015's XCOM-with-cowboys-and-demons that didn't entirely work out, but this looks a better fit for the idea.

Took one look at the XCOM 2's expansion and checked out for now. That's way too expensive for an expansion. Will pick it up when it's cheaper.

I ended up playing StarCraft Remastered and even that managed to annoy me: they've upped the resolution but not the viewing angle, so you still can't zoom out and see a decent chunk of the map. Given that's why I bought the fricking thing, that's extremely annoying (also not introducing SC2 quality-of-life control improvements into the single-player campaign as an optional thing is ridiculous).

16 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Holy shit, they're making a sequel to Rune. That was unexpected to say the least.

I remember playing that game back when it came out.  Was really cool at the time.  Would be nice to see a modern remaster to go along with the sequel.

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

Since I died in The Long Dark I started playing with my Switch more. Fuck the flying battery zone in Sonic Mania. Binding of Issac finally clicked and I love it.

Splatoon 2 is fun, but my god Nintendo what the fuck. There's a co-op mode that for some reason can only be played during certain times. The multiplayer maps seem to also be locked into a weird two maps per time period. So you end up playing the same two maps over and over in one session. Then there's the chat system which I haven't even bothered with because it's ridiculous on it's face that it goes through a smartphone app. 

This is all especially frustrating because the motion control aiming is really great. I know it will never happen but if they ever did a Goldeneye remake I would want to play it with a version of the Splatoon 2 motion controls.  (1.2 Solitare where the left joycon is movement and the right is basically the N64 joystick) 

I'm also loving Splatoon 2, which I find to be a really refreshing multiplayer shooter- I'm not usually into these, but this one is stupid-fun enough and allows you to play and contribute to your team even if you're not a shooter master, unlike most other shooters. I love all the game modes (except for maybe Tower Control), the stealth aspect of the game, and the weapon variety. And I agree that the motion control aiming is fantastic.

I don't mind the limited maps so much, though it's definitely a weird decision. The scheduled Salmon Run is definitely more WTF for me. It's my favourite mode in the game, and I can only play it once or twice a week. I don't understand why they don't at least let it run all weekend. As for chat, I haven't even bothered... I'm more upset by the lack of local/split screen multiplayer.

Playing XCOM2 again, no xpac though cause I never finished the main game to begin with. It's all fun and games until your shotgunner has a sudden spaz attack and misses a point blank 99% shot that would have saved her life. Meanwhile my main sniper (who is an Irishman I've nicknamed 'Lucky' because I have no soul) is consistently hitting 20-30% shots like a boss. 

Shame this game still runs like hot garbage this long after release though. 

16 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Playing XCOM2 again, no xpac though cause I never finished the main game to begin with. It's all fun and games until your shotgunner has a sudden spaz attack and misses a point blank 99% shot that would have saved her life. Meanwhile my main sniper (who is an Irishman I've nicknamed 'Lucky' because I have no soul) is consistently hitting 20-30% shots like a boss. 

Shame this game still runs like hot garbage this long after release though. 

I just picked this up today for PS4.  Loved the first back when I had my 360, so I knew I would like it.  Not very far in, but enjoying it so far.

Also picked up Rock of Ages and holy cow this game has me laughing so hard.  The tower defense and ball rolling game play is fun as hell and the cut scene animations are hilarious.

The insanely ambitious Project Brazil mod for New Vegas is almost ready to roll. Now called New California, it expands on some elements from New Vegas but is set in a whole new wasteland with tons of new quests to do.

Very interested in this one. It looks quite decent from the videos they've posted and it'll certainly be a stronger RPG than Fallout 4.

Played destiny 1 for a fair while myself and already had a couple of hours to play D2 this morning - thanks rolling midnight release - wasnt too sure about pre ordering but then thought what the hell a few days ago. From the short bit of gametime I have had im feeling like it was the right decision. Game looks awesome and there is actually some story to it. Looking forward to getting home from work to play some more.

PAX West was odd this year, in that other than Destiny 2 there were not a lot of big-name titles presented. The major expo hall had a lot of fairly niche and indie games, and there were a number of repeats. 

Gotta say that the switch won me over. It's very cool, and the graphics are excellent. The PS4 and Xbox areas were fairly boring and basic, but the Nintendo section had crowd king of the hill for Pokken  Tourney and Arms and was winning over everyone. 

I finished my Bretonnia campaign. It's a helluva lot more straight forward than the Greenskins campaign. But the preparation for the final battle vs Chaos is important. You pretty much can't afford to have any non-elite units, though I suppose a better battlefield manager possibly could manage it with an army with some non-elite units. Playing as the Fey Enchantress I went in with a damsel hero companion with plenty of tools to keep the magic power up so I could keep casting spells late into the battle. I held my 2 units of polearm infantry (my only infantry units) off right to the end when the large units came along and they were pretty decisive in the end since all my mounted units were fairly low right at the end. My archers remained fresh and with ammo to spare right to the end too. I wonder if a Paladin might have been good as a second hero in place of some other unit.

Still haven't finished my Greenskins even though that was my first campaign. Heading up north to occupy those final settlements to finish the long campaigns is such a pain.

I'm in Japan right now, and as a souvnier for myself I picked up a refurbished super famicom, super Mario world, street fighter 2, and a Kirby game. Plus what I believe are the correct adapters and cords I need; but I can sort that out when I'm home.

I have a bunch of old SNES games at home too, but I know playing those on a SFC is much more complicated than playing SFC games on a SNES. Hoping I can sort that out; but this is really more of a souvnier than anything I'm hoping to use practically.

2 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Now that's just weird.

In which way? 

1) Is it that you don't like the games and think it's weird they're that high?

2) Is it that you do like the games and think it's weird they're that low?

3) Or do you think it's weird that they happen to be next to each other?

I'm guessing..... number 3!

52 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

In which way? 

Its weird that  Stellaris is rated higher.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

In which way? 

Weird that Stellaris is higher rated. I didn't think it had a big following compared to CK2. 

Archived