Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

That's the thing... I really don't understand why its a new game and not just the fifth expansion.  :dunno: 

Because they make a lot more money this way? You might as well ask why they put out new versions of the sports games each year instead of just updating the rosters. 

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Been out on vacation. Anyone get the War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM2? I'm not seeing any discussions here.

I was all set to get it and discovered that it's an expansion pack that costs more than some full price games, so no, not getting it for a while.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I was all set to get it and discovered that it's an expansion pack that costs more than some full price games, so no, not getting it for a while.

I think I'll do the same. Maybe the winter sale will be a good time to get it.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's the thing... I really don't understand why its a new game and not just the fifth expansion.  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Because they make a lot more money this way? You might as well ask why they put out new versions of the sports games each year instead of just updating the rosters. 

Yeah bro, not to go Gaming Dawnstar on you but the first 3 DLC's for Destiny 1 were on the disk already. Bungie (and EA) just stole 65 of your dollars.

I mean, in addition to what? 150 of your dollars you already spent on the first one?

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Been out on vacation. Anyone get the War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM2? I'm not seeing any discussions here.

I bought it for PS4 and have been playing it all week.

It is almost a different game.  While the mechanics are all the same, War of the Chosen adds so much that it changes it quite a bit.  There are now other factions that you work with (which give you some new soldier classes that are a bit different), there are 3 super powered alien assasins that are spread out around the world (the chosen) that can appear at times during fights, there are covert missions that you can send soldiers out on that can give you rewards and lastly there are the Lost.

The Lost are zombie creatures on some maps that attack everything on the map.  They are attracted to loud noises and explosions cause a swarm to show up.  There is are tools to lure them to a spot of your choosing, so there are some new tactics you can break out on some maps.

Overall the expansions adds a lot to the base game and I am enjoying it even more.  I can understand that the 40 dollar price tag isn't for everyone, but I would still recomend it if you like the base game.  If the price does put you off, definitely watch for a sale, cause it is a fun expansion.

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah bro, not to go Gaming Dawnstar on you but the first 3 DLC's for Destiny 1 were on the disk already. Bungie (and EA) just stole 65 of your dollars.

I mean, in addition to what? 150 of your dollars you already spent on the first one?

I never played any of the Destiny DLCs but I really doubt they were all on the disk. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I never played any of the Destiny DLCs but I really doubt they were all on the disk. 

During the Destiny Alpha people glitched into areas that wouldn't become available until the Taken King DLC, which was the third to be released.

42 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

During the Destiny Alpha people glitched into areas that wouldn't become available until the Taken King DLC, which was the third to be released.

That's really not that damning. It's normal to have little unused connecting areas for future DLC. Even if all the new maps were there (which I doubt) there's still more to DLC than that. Enemies, weapons, missions, etc. Don't get me wrong Destiny had a troubled development and a lot of story content was cut. I'm sure they re-purposed some of that cut stuff for DLC. But there's no way they had the third DLC ready to go on day one and just sat on it for however long. I'm pretty sure at least one of the DLCs was delayed anyway. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

That's really not that damning. It's normal to have little unused connecting areas for future DLC. Even if all the new maps were there (which I doubt) there's still more to DLC than that. Enemies, weapons, missions, etc. Don't get me wrong Destiny had a troubled development and a lot of story content was cut. I'm sure they re-purposed some of that cut stuff for DLC. But there's no way they had the third DLC ready to go on day one and just sat on it for however long. I'm pretty sure at least one of the DLCs was delayed anyway. 

So you can buy that 5 years of development and half a billion dollars only managed to produce 4 hours worth of content, but the possibility that they purposefully left out chunks of the game to sell later is a bridge too far?

Picked up Original Sin 2 and holy shit this game is hard. I'm on regular difficulty in the relatively early game getting wrecked by a lot of these fights. Tempted to just throw it into narrative difficulty since I don't like the combat all that much anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So you can buy that 5 years of development and half a billion dollars only managed to produce 4 hours worth of content, but the possibility that they purposefully left out chunks of the game to sell later is a bridge too far?

I never said that. (For what it's worth I seem to recall it was closer to ten hours of story. Much longer before I got bored and put it down.) I said it had a troubled development and a lot of the story stuff was cut or re-worked at the last minute. I read an article about it I can try to find if you're really interested. The fact that they barely got a complete game out on release day makes it very hard to believe they had all three(?) DLC's lined up and ready to go on day one.

I'm aware that publishers often have the first DLC in a semi-complete state before the game comes out. The idea that the Taken King was on the original disk is just ridiculous. Some unused map areas may have been. That's not a big deal. 

4 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Picked up Original Sin 2 and holy shit this game is hard. I'm on regular difficulty in the relatively early game getting wrecked by a lot of these fights. Tempted to just throw it into narrative difficulty since I don't like the combat all that much anyway. 

The original is like that too.  You also need to be really careful in these games and save a lot.  Like fucking constantly.  My buddy and I are still doing a playthrough of the first and I keep two hard saves and autosave constantly.  It's entirely possible to venture down the wrong path and wind up fighting an enemy party that severely out-levels you.  And early on your characters are pretty much pussies anyway since they only have a few abilities and limited ways to combine them.

Just make sure one of your characters is a beast at crafting.  If it's anything like the first game, you'll need someone to constantly upgrade gear and craft potions, grenades, arrows, etc.  Also, not sure if it's in the sequel or not, but there's a skill in the first game that lets you perfectly throw grenades regardless of your score in whatever ability governs grenade throws (probably strength).  I gave that to one of our back-liners and it has become an invaluable part of our battle strategy.  

I'm interested in Divinity Original Sin II, based on its buzz (though I'm still waiting for reviews). I couldn't get into the first one because I thought the writing/characters/story were pretty bad and because I suck at these old school RPGs and don't particularly love the gameplay, but the word seems to be that the writing is much better in the sequel and that there's a story mode for people like me. 

I'm very excited for the new Stellaris expansion.

I've been playing Dark Souls II (Scholars of the First Sin edition) for the first time; my last game of the Souls trilogy. I'm enjoying it, generally, but it seems to me to be by far the weakest of the three. I've mainly loved these games for the level design, atmosphere and worldbuilding, but the world in this one feels very disjointed and most of the levels haven't been particularly memorable (and some have been infuriating, like the fire castle where you have to go through 20 of those goddamn charging knights every time to get to the very hard boss, or the one where there are statues that spit poison at you everywhere). Still, the combat is fun as always, and there haven't been any bosses quite as cheap as some in Dark Souls I, which is a big plus for me. 

So how I am doing hero deployment in TW:WH wrong? I use the deploy function in the region it says to deploy a hero (for lord quest items) and when the hero does the deployment the game doesn't recognise it and trigger the next step in the Lord's quest. It did work for a Greenskins Lord Quest once, but all other times no matter how I do it the hero deployment completion never gets triggered.

On 9/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, briantw said:

The original is like that too.  You also need to be really careful in these games and save a lot.  Like fucking constantly.  My buddy and I are still doing a playthrough of the first and I keep two hard saves and autosave constantly.  It's entirely possible to venture down the wrong path and wind up fighting an enemy party that severely out-levels you.  And early on your characters are pretty much pussies anyway since they only have a few abilities and limited ways to combine them.

Just make sure one of your characters is a beast at crafting.  If it's anything like the first game, you'll need someone to constantly upgrade gear and craft potions, grenades, arrows, etc.  Also, not sure if it's in the sequel or not, but there's a skill in the first game that lets you perfectly throw grenades regardless of your score in whatever ability governs grenade throws (probably strength).  I gave that to one of our back-liners and it has become an invaluable part of our battle strategy.  

I've stuck it out on classic difficulty so far, and things got a little easier once I spent the gold on some better items. I seem to lack any decent crafting recipes still. 

Now I'm at a point though where I seem to have done everything on the starting island except the big battle with the Magisters, but they're level 8 and I'm level 6 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed. I can't even go grind since enemies don't respawn in this game so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I must have missed something somewhere. 

8 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I've stuck it out on classic difficulty so far, and things got a little easier once I spent the gold on some better items. I seem to lack any decent crafting recipes still. 

Now I'm at a point though where I seem to have done everything on the starting island except the big battle with the Magisters, but they're level 8 and I'm level 6 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed. I can't even go grind since enemies don't respawn in this game so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I must have missed something somewhere. 

You get a lot of XP for resolving side quests if you have any of those still active.  I'd recommend talking to everyone, breaking into buildings, looking for hidden hatches or doors, etc.  If the bosses are level eight, there is definitely enough experience out there to get your party to level eight.  You just have to find it.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:52 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

So how I am doing hero deployment in TW:WH wrong? I use the deploy function in the region it says to deploy a hero (for lord quest items) and when the hero does the deployment the game doesn't recognise it and trigger the next step in the Lord's quest. It did work for a Greenskins Lord Quest once, but all other times no matter how I do it the hero deployment completion never gets triggered.

If the next step in the quest is triggered, then I would say it is being recognized. Are you not getting the reward for that step? Are you reading the whole story texts? That's really the fun part of the quests.

17 hours ago, briantw said:

You get a lot of XP for resolving side quests if you have any of those still active.  I'd recommend talking to everyone, breaking into buildings, looking for hidden hatches or doors, etc.  If the bosses are level eight, there is definitely enough experience out there to get your party to level eight.  You just have to find it.

The only side quests still "active" in my log are ones that I've actually finished but they won't clear out for some reason. Seems to be bugged. 

I did find more things to do on the island though. Nearly level 8 now :P

On 9/20/2017 at 1:22 AM, Corvinus said:

If the next step in the quest is triggered, then I would say it is being recognized. Are you not getting the reward for that step? Are you reading the whole story texts? That's really the fun part of the quests.

The next step in the quest is not being triggered, the reward screen / sub-quest completion screen is not showing up (apart from that one time with one of the Greenskin quests, but other Greenskin deploy hero quests have consistently failed just like the Bretonnian ones and VC ones).

Archived