Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

I've started playing Diablo3 with my wife and older son after a long  hiatus.

It is legitimately fun as hell. It reminds me of the good times I had in D2, with really encouraging speedrun gameplay and chaining mobs and whatnot.

Egad. Once you're bored if it, play Path if Exile, which has a vast amount of possible builds compared to D3's super flawed itemization and disinteresting endgame experience. I am a lifelong Diablo junkie (I am playing a great d2 mod in my spare time right now, waiting for the next PoE content patch in december.

If you loved D2, and can get over a rather intense amount of stuff to take in, its an exceptionally well made ARPG. I loathe everything they've done with D3 so much these days, but it is still fun for a weekend here and there I suppose.

Crusader Kings II has been so much fun. I'm playing as Leon and really trying to role play as each member of my dynasty; my last king, who ruled for over 50 years, was afflicted by possession, lunacy, paranoia, and anger issues. A lot of horses got named chancellor, an anti-pants law was passed, a lot of bastards were born and a lot of grandchildren got assassinated to prevent the realm from splintering. Good times.

I'm looking forward to playing a Byzantium game next. Once I've really gotten the hang of things, I'll check out the Game of Thrones mod more, which looks like so much fun (I played it for about a half hour as the Starks after Robert's Rebellion; within one year, Ned Stark had died in a trial by combat and 2 year old Robb was lord of Winterfell and engaged to Dany. Hmm...)

On 10/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

Crusader Kings II has been so much fun. I'm playing as Leon and really trying to role play as each member of my dynasty; my last king, who ruled for over 50 years, was afflicted by possession, lunacy, paranoia, and anger issues. A lot of horses got named chancellor, an anti-pants law was passed, a lot of bastards were born and a lot of grandchildren got assassinated to prevent the realm from splintering. Good times.

I'm looking forward to playing a Byzantium game next. Once I've really gotten the hang of things, I'll check out the Game of Thrones mod more, which looks like so much fun (I played it for about a half hour as the Starks after Robert's Rebellion; within one year, Ned Stark had died in a trial by combat and 2 year old Robb was lord of Winterfell and engaged to Dany. Hmm...)

I always had a lot of fun doing that, way more than if I tried to be super-pragmatic about everything. It gets really good in the later part of games when you're essentially an autocrat and can shape entire regions of the map according to your whims. 

Total War: Attila

I started a Vandal campaign so that I could establish Vandelic Syracuse as an independent power, but five turns in the Marcomannni (Germanic) tribe has declared war on me. This really sucks because the Vandals start the campaign as a migrant peoples and my starting location is... in the Marcomannic region with the hostile Alaman next door.

To rub salt in the wound, I've given them over 10000 talents over the last 3 turns.

I just ran out of time for the last session once I finished my last suite of missions, I don't expect it to take very long once I can pick it up this evening.  Plus I found a handy website where you can enter your location and it will scour recent server data to find what you're looking for based on your current location. Looking forward to the new ship!

I've only been playing on solo mode thus far... I think once I get the new ship outfitted I'll switch over to the open (online) mode and see how it goes.  From what I've read the PS4 servers have a pretty good community (relatively) of players who don't give noobs too much grief... so we'll see.  

I'm really impressed with how well balanced everything seems to be in this game.  And on an aside I never realized the original Elite goes back to the 80's (I was telling my friend who turned me onto it that it seemed like a weird name for the game, and he clued me in).  Really surprised I never came across it as a kid during my Commodore 64 days.  Maybe because it wasn't as popular in the US?  But anyway, I think I would have loved the original back in the day.

Doing a Eastern Roman Empire playthrough on very hard in Attila. 20 turns in, the Western Roman Empire was actually holding on pretty strong, in control of most of Africa, all of Spain, and the entirety of Gaul and Italy. Meanwhile I was thriving. At war with nobody, making friends of an independent Judea near Palestinia as well as bolstering Armenia against several eastern powers.

In Greece I go unchallenged, having made an ally of the Huns and chased the Visigoths away. I have had 20 turns to get my economy humming, managing the occasional crises as I built a naval superpower in the Agean and saw to an improved military outpost en every provincial capitol. Three of my greatest cities boast a fifteen-deep stack of artillery vessels in their harbors, Constantinople, Alexandria, and Ptolemais (African coast, a bit west of Aleandria, not even halfway to Carthage).

I started to repair my shattered relationship with the Western Romans at this time in the only way I knew how. Cash. Flavious Stelichio has assumed command, a Half-Vandal openly declaring himself Emperor of Rome! The indignity must be born if civilization is to endure in the West, as turning my eye too far from the Sassanid Empire in the east would be treacherous at best. Though recently ripped apart in a civil war that leaves the newly recognized Persian Empire independent of their Sassanid counterparts, our enemies to the east are many. 

It was my hope to establish armadas at the Western Roman ports in Italy and Greece, to help them in fighting off any invading armies. But this plan is now in terrible jeopardy. The Garamantians, an interior African tribe of little note, have declared war on me! Sacking a city south of Ptolemais.

Their invasion is of little real concern, but it must be answered lest they interrupt the grain flow from Egypt.

Meanwhile, at turn 25 the Western Romans teeter on the edge of calamity. My proxy financing of Stelichio's position has greatly improved my status in his eyes, but he is not yet ready to approve the docking of my warships in his ports. Meanwhile the Ostrogoths press in from easter Italy. Already they have taken Ravenna, and though the capitol of Mediolanum stands strong the fall of Rome itself and Italy is an fate that could not be born by our estranged brothers.

All men, with me now. We will turn back the enemies that threaten us and restore glory to Rome!

47 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Doing a Eastern Roman Empire playthrough on very hard in Attila. 20 turns in, the Western Roman Empire was actually holding on pretty strong, in control of most of Africa, all of Spain, and the entirety of Gaul and Italy. Meanwhile I was thriving. At war with nobody, making friends of an independent Judea near Palestinia as well as bolstering Armenia against several eastern powers.

In Greece I go unchallenged, having made an ally of the Huns and chased the Visigoths away. I have had 20 turns to get my economy humming, managing the occasional crises as I built a naval superpower in the Agean and saw to an improved military outpost en every provincial capitol. Three of my greatest cities boast a fifteen-deep stack of artillery vessels in their harbors, Constantinople, Alexandria, and Ptolemais (African coast, a bit west of Aleandria, not even halfway to Carthage).

I started to repair my shattered relationship with the Western Romans at this time in the only way I knew how. Cash. Flavious Stelichio has assumed command, a Half-Vandal openly declaring himself Emperor of Rome! The indignity must be born if civilization is to endure in the West, as turning my eye too far from the Sassanid Empire in the east would be treacherous at best. Though recently ripped apart in a civil war that leaves the newly recognized Persian Empire independent of their Sassanid counterparts, our enemies to the east are many. 

It was my hope to establish armadas at the Western Roman ports in Italy and Greece, to help them in fighting off any invading armies. But this plan is now in terrible jeopardy. The Garamantians, an interior African tribe of little note, have declared war on me! Sacking a city south of Ptolemais.

Their invasion is of little real concern, but it must be answered lest they interrupt the grain flow from Egypt.

Meanwhile, at turn 25 the Western Romans teeter on the edge of calamity. My proxy financing of Stelichio's position has greatly improved my status in his eyes, but he is not yet ready to approve the docking of my warships in his ports. Meanwhile the Ostrogoths press in from easter Italy. Already they have taken Ravenna, and though the capitol of Mediolanum stands strong the fall of Rome itself and Italy is an fate that could not be born by our estranged brothers.

All men, with me now. We will turn back the enemies that threaten us and restore glory to Rome!

1) I thought you were doing a Vandal campaign? Had enough of the barbarians?

2) How is playing Attila on very hard? I've not ventured more than hard.

3) When when you so eloquently speak of approvals to docking of fleets in his ports, I assume you mean military alliance or at least access. TW diplomacy system is not that complex.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

3) When when you so eloquently speak of approvals to docking of fleets in his ports, I assume you mean military alliance or at least access. TW diplomacy system is not that complex.

1) I'm very changeable, and that campaign led to a military blunder the likes of which do not bear repeating.

2) It's definitely a step up, your units are less effective and tactics become pretty important. No longer does running swords into spears = win. You really have to turn flanks and keep your line from opening up. The Campaign AI isn't much worse. Not easy to just buy their friendship though, as demonstrated by me giving Flavious Stilichio like 50 thousand talents and not being besties with him. They still seem to get big economy boosts, and they straight up won't make deals with you unless you go the extra mile.

41 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

3) Yeah, I was talkin' access and alliance. So I could basically park besides his big coastal cities and defend them.

I just won a battle on the coast of Africa in which my infantry literally stood with their feet in the tide water as artillery ships threw fire over their heads into the Garamantian ranks while my cavalry raised hell against their supply.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, Kalbear said:

I've started playing Diablo3 with my wife and older son after a long  hiatus.

It is legitimately fun as hell. It reminds me of the good times I had in D2, with really encouraging speedrun gameplay and chaining mobs and whatnot.

They really improved D3 since it came out. It was a total disaster at the beginning.

D2 is my favorite game ever, well, other than Madden that is. I'm still confident I made the best dualer ever. It was a broken FoH pally with a FoH stick that was worth over $200 on Ebay and had all perfect lightning gear. I could go 1v7 against all 99s and destroy them My buddy and I made a pure life/res barb with maximum lightning absorb and we got him to lvl 90. FoH could sometimes one shot kill it.

Finally went back Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, jumped right back to my save halfway through mission 9 and finished that thing; took three hours to finish it off. Now I'm at mission 10 and it looks even worse, but I would like to be able to put this game in my 'beaten' pile.

16 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Re Elite, make sure you've enough credits to cover insurance costs. 

Oh ya, definitely.  Never fly without rebuy cost was pounded into my head before I ever started haha.  Got the Cobra last night, really like it.  Mission rewards went way up... I think I earned about half a million in just a couple hours last night, which was a big jump from what I was getting with the Sidewinder.  

I *DID* almost run out of fuel getting to the nearest station selling the Cobra at the 15% discount... I think it was 6 jumps (my longest journey yet), but one of the systems only had one facility and it sold NO FUEL.  And I didn't have a fuel scoop.  Luckily I made it the next jump and had about 5% fuel remaining when I made it to dock, so I was a little nervous. 

Archived