KiDisaster

Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

118 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Weird that Stellaris is higher rated. I didn't think it had a big following compared to CK2. 

But that wasn't one of the choices! Oh well, it was fun being on the show.

I saw Crusader Kings II on their list, but I didn't see Stellaris. He said they weighted write ins higher than stuff they had, so even if more people voted for CK2, Stellaris could still beat it.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football on the TV machine, and a fresh KoToR playthrough on the computer machine about 30 seconds from popping off.

It feels good, I've had a few aborted KoToR 1 and 2 playthroughs over the past 4 years or so (since they came out on steam, basically), but right now I'm feelin' it.

Wish me luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blah.  Ran into something on Skyrim that I completely hate. Characters that are impossible to kill. 

I much prefer the Morrowind method.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started an Ostrogoth campaign in Attila and by the start of turn 3, Flavius Arcadius Augustus was dead. He made the dumb decision to be governor of the first province I attacked. I've since travelled around Greece and southern Italy, liberating factions to harry the Romans while I made the journey down to Carthage. Settled there and converted to Latin Christianity as soon as I arrived, kicked the Romans and African factions out, and now my territory ranges from the westernmost part of Africa to the edge of the Egypt province. I was planning on conquering Spain, but instead I might keep pushing east around the Mediterranean until I reach Constantinople again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Started an Ostrogoth campaign in Attila and by the start of turn 3, Flavius Arcadius Augustus was dead. He made the dumb decision to be governor of the first province I attacked. I've since travelled around Greece and southern Italy, liberating factions to harry the Romans while I made the journey down to Carthage. Settled there and converted to Latin Christianity as soon as I arrived, kicked the Romans and African factions out, and now my territory ranges from the westernmost part of Africa to the edge of the Egypt province. I was planning on conquering Spain, but instead I might keep pushing east around the Mediterranean until I reach Constantinople again. 

You leave the God Fearing Greek Christian Romans alone, you savage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Started an Ostrogoth campaign in Attila and by the start of turn 3, Flavius Arcadius Augustus was dead. He made the dumb decision to be governor of the first province I attacked. I've since travelled around Greece and southern Italy, liberating factions to harry the Romans while I made the journey down to Carthage. Settled there and converted to Latin Christianity as soon as I arrived, kicked the Romans and African factions out, and now my territory ranges from the westernmost part of Africa to the edge of the Egypt province. I was planning on conquering Spain, but instead I might keep pushing east around the Mediterranean until I reach Constantinople again. 

Yeah! You show those Byzantines who's boss!

Edit: Had to correct whose to who's.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last week I finally joined the rest of humanity apparently and picked up Playerunknown's Battlegrounds to play with a couple of my friends. I don't generally buy early access games, and I don't like the open world survival genre as a general rule, but this is pretty fun actually. It's wonderfully tense given the one life per round and how quickly you can be killed, and really lends itself to playing strategically with friends over voice chat. It's crap solo, just not even worth playing IMO. I've played maybe a dozen rounds so far and gotten only a handful of kills and no wins. I think our team came 6th or 7th once and that was the closest we got. 

My concern is longevity (for me at least). The majority of rounds seem to end by getting killed from across the map by some guy with a sniper rifle who I couldn't see, and that could get old very quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

So last week I finally joined the rest of humanity apparently and picked up Playerunknown's Battlegrounds to play with a couple of my friends. I don't generally buy early access games, and I don't like the open world survival genre as a general rule, but this is pretty fun actually. It's wonderfully tense given the one life per round and how quickly you can be killed, and really lends itself to playing strategically with friends over voice chat. It's crap solo, just not even worth playing IMO. I've played maybe a dozen rounds so far and gotten only a handful of kills and no wins. I think our team came 6th or 7th once and that was the closest we got. 

My concern is longevity (for me at least). The majority of rounds seem to end by getting killed from across the map by some guy with a sniper rifle who I couldn't see, and that could get old very quickly. 

Early access doesn't really mean an incomplete game. Its often just a shield for developers and fans to defend the game from bugs and balance issues, using "its still in development" as an excuse. 

As far as I know, Dirty Bomb is still in "beta" despite being out and selling DLC and other assorted cash items for a couple of years. Or Warframe being in beta for five years and counting, plus console releases. Granted, they aren't early access games, but I'm sure that is only because Warframe started before Steam early access and Dirty Bomb is free to play.

PUBG will probably be going the same route, releasing skins while and being in "beta" until the game's death. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2017 at 3:41 AM, Pony Queen Jace said:

You leave the God Fearing Greek Christian Romans alone, you savage!

 

20 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yeah! You show those Byzantines who's boss!

Edit: Had to correct whose to who's.

You'll be happy/sad to know I brought the True Faith to Constantinople. My other armies got bogged down trying to repress revolts in the Egypt/Ethiopia/Palestine region, so I sailed a lone general into friendly-held Macedonia, hired an army of mercenaries over a couple of turns and then besieged the city. I centred my attack on the northern and central gates, the former of which was taken fairly easily but I lost the latter after they had their cavalry charge at any unit coming through the gates or down the walls. But once my cavalry and pikemen had entered the city from the north, I was able to roll down the map and rout all their units.

Their marine units had landed in the meantime and had retreated to the city centre, but my sexy gothic lancers rode them all down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

 

You'll be happy/sad to know I brought the True Faith to Constantinople. My other armies got bogged down trying to repress revolts in the Egypt/Ethiopia/Palestine region, so I sailed a lone general into friendly-held Macedonia, hired an army of mercenaries over a couple of turns and then besieged the city. I centred my attack on the northern and central gates, the former of which was taken fairly easily but I lost the latter after they had their cavalry charge at any unit coming through the gates or down the walls. But once my cavalry and pikemen had entered the city from the north, I was able to roll down the map and rout all their units.

Their marine units had landed in the meantime and had retreated to the city centre, but my sexy gothic lancers rode them all down.

 

Barbarism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nintendo not only putting out the SNES classic this Christmas but producing more NES classics as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Nintendo not only putting out the SNES classic this Christmas but producing more NES classics as well.

 

 

Glad to know they are smart enough to print more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Divinity: Original Sin II out today and seems to be picking up a lot of good early reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to Divinity: Original Sin II as well. I really enjoyed the first, though it fell into my pile of single player games I never finish due to my usual leaning toward online, grinding over storyline kind of gameplay. My Path of Exile addiction has passed (at least until the next league in a couple months). Going to do a nice single player game for awhile - I only have maybe ten hours a week now to game, and online games are always thirsty for more of my time and energy. 

If you pick it up, Wert, I'll be looking forward to your early impressions. I'm going to hold off just a bit, and maybe even re-start the first one, before I pull the trigger. I have a bad habit of impulsively buying a single player game, thinking it's super great for about 10 hours, and never touching it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Nintendo not only putting out the SNES classic this Christmas but producing more NES classics as well.

 

 

I wonder why it's so large. I imagine a smart watch has enough grunt to run NES games. If you had a bluetooth controller you could basically make an NES classic in the style of a Chromecast type device shaped like a NES at about 1:10 scale, preloaded with about 100 NES games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This conversation between two journalists who are both playing and reviewing Divinity: Original Sin II is intriguing. It points out a lot of the offbeatness of the game and its combination with superior combat and the much better writing in the game than the original (down, I suspect, to the presence of the mighty Chris Avellone). This may end up being the best RPG of the year, and one of the best games.

21 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm looking forward to Divinity: Original Sin II as well. I really enjoyed the first, though it fell into my pile of single player games I never finish due to my usual leaning toward online, grinding over storyline kind of gameplay. My Path of Exile addiction has passed (at least until the next league in a couple months). Going to do a nice single player game for awhile - I only have maybe ten hours a week now to game, and online games are always thirsty for more of my time and energy. 

If you pick it up, Wert, I'll be looking forward to your early impressions. I'm going to hold off just a bit, and maybe even re-start the first one, before I pull the trigger. I have a bad habit of impulsively buying a single player game, thinking it's super great for about 10 hours, and never touching it again.

I played 10 hours of the first game, enjoyed it, got sidetracked by something else and then decided to wait for the Enhanced Edition (which I've now got). I need to go back and play it again, it was a very good game from what I played and knocked the likes of Torment: Tides of Numenera, the last Dragon Age and Pillars of Eternity all into a cocked hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there seems to not be much discussion around for Destiny 2?

I was out of town last week and could only play two nights this week.  Certainly feels like Destiny.  I can feel the urge to endlessly grind and incrementally upgrade gear calling me, but nothing about it excites me as being "new" just yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhom said:

So there seems to not be much discussion around for Destiny 2?

I was out of town last week and could only play two nights this week.  Certainly feels like Destiny.  I can feel the urge to endlessly grind and incrementally upgrade gear calling me, but nothing about it excites me as being "new" just yet.

 

It's just the fifth expansion. What did you eexpect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less than a week to go for the next big Stellaris update/DLC. 

Synthetics and Organics alike shall cower in fear when they detect the approach of fleets from the Cicada Hegemony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's just the fifth expansion. What did you eexpect?

That's the thing... I really don't understand why its a new game and not just the fifth expansion.  :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now