Are there any cases of mariages being annulled in Westeros?

Stormking902

On 8/22/2017 at 10:04 AM, Universal Sword Donor said:

I mean I think the system in place is just "ask the king and pray he says yes"

Which, given the lack of clearly codified laws in Westeros, is kind of your only option.

2 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

I was thinking about a "Lyanna gets betrothed to Rheagar instead of Elia and before she got betrothed to the Randy Stag" scenario.

But never mind :)

See what you mean but I don't see that happening, they needed Rhaegar to marry and Lyanna would have been too young to be a potential wife

On 8/29/2017 at 1:37 AM, The Sleeper said:

I think Martin has made it pretty clear that issues of lawfulness are more or less like arguments in this board.

That said even if Rhaegar and Lyanna were married there are more than a couple of issues. There are no living witnesses, for one thing and testimony via weirwood is unlikely to count. Neither had the permission of their fathers. Also while other Targaryens took multiple wives, they were kings when they did it. Rhaegar was heir apparent, which is not quite the same thing.

Rhaegar was of age, so he didn't need his father's permission. He should have had it, but there is historical precedent for the heir to the throne marrying without the king's permission (Rhaenyra and Daemon, Jaehaerys and Shaera) and the marriage being valid. Lyanna was underage BUT, most marriages are still considered valid after consummation no matter what age the bride was. 

Aegon wasn't king of anything when he married his second wife. But he also wasn't a member of the Faith at the time, so they let that slide when he converted. 

If Rhaegar managed to convince the High Septon to give him a waiver on the monogamy thing without being king. Traditionally, and this applies to the middle ages, the standard is to have at least two boys--the heir and the spare. Elia could not provide the spare son. Add in prophecy, and Rhae Rhae could have made a compelling case for being allowed a second wife. He probably didn't have grounds to annul his marriage to Elia, nor would he wish to do her any dishonor (we hope), but he could take a second wife for the sake of the realm and saving the world.

39 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

If Rhaegar managed to convince the High Septon to give him a waiver on the monogamy thing without being king. Traditionally, and this applies to the middle ages, the standard is to have at least two boys--the heir and the spare. Elia could not provide the spare son. Add in prophecy, and Rhae Rhae could have made a compelling case for being allowed a second wife. He probably didn't have grounds to annul his marriage to Elia, nor would he wish to do her any dishonor (we hope), but he could take a second wife for the sake of the realm and saving the world.

There was Viserys.

Rheagar was in his early 20s.

And a prophecy, you say?

The High Septon would laugh himself silly ... :D

6 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

There was Viserys.

Rheagar was in his early 20s.

And a prophecy, you say?

The High Septon would laugh himself silly ... :D

No, no. Little brothers who are already starting to show the cray cray do not count. Rhaegar has to have his own spare.

I submit that no High Septon would demean the dignity of his office by laughing himself silly. He might laugh himself slightly cross-eyed though. :D 

11 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I submit that no High Septon would demean the dignity of his office by laughing himself silly. He might laugh himself slightly cross-eyed though. :D 

I giggled myself cross-eyed reading this :D

Archived