A tale of two scenes - Sansa & Tyrion

Mother of Mini Dragons

In the first episode,  when Jon was meeting with the Northern lords/allies and deciding what to do with the Karstarks and Umbers. Sansa opined that he should give their castles to people who were loyal and Jon felt otherwise. They discussed it in public and ultimately, Jon made his decision and when he was clear that he wasn't going to change his mind, Sansa accepted it and moved on.

In this last episode, Dany told the Tarly's that they had to bend the knee or she would execute them. Tyrion objected and offered a couple of other options - the Night's Watch or locking them in a dungeon. Dany disagreed, stuck to her decision in the same way that Jon stuck to his decision and Tyrion, like Sansa, ultimately accepted and essentially moved on as well (albeit lamenting over it with wine and Varys) .

There was a lot of critique and analysis of Sansa's behavior towards Jon in the first episode (some that I still see being brought up in the threads about this episode) and I haven't seen much, if any, about Tyrion's behavior towards Dany. Most of the analyzing and debate has been about Dany's choices and actions in that scene, not Tyrion's.

Should Tyrion be subjected to the same analysis and criticism that Sansa has been in how they voice their opinions to their leader in a public setting? Is there is a difference in how they are viewed as advisers to their leaders? If so, why is there a difference in how they are perceived in what appeared to me to be two very similar situations - their leader must make a difficult decision, they give their differing opinion to their leader's choice, they then accept the decision and move on.

Archived