Football: The grind begins

Mexal

Well, we played well in the first half last night. Both passing, movement and speed was good, and Hajduk weren't really in the game at all. 

Second half, we took our foot off the gas, and invited Hajduk back in. Good, then, to see Pickford still being good. He hasn't let in a goal in his first three official matches for us - that's good (even if the opposition has been Ruzembok (sp?), Stoke and Hajduk Split.

Re: Barkley, I don't see him feature much unless he suddenly signs a new contract. All of Rooney, Klaasen and Sigurdsson occupy his role at times - I guess we could turn to him if they're all out, otherwise not.

I didn't realise this is the final year of Luke Shaw's contract at Man United (there is an option of a further year). I wonder what they plan on doing with him. I would expect they will execute the year extension, at least. If they do that, it suggests he's playing for his future at Man United, as opposed to being someone who is in the long term plans.

He was brilliant at the end of his first season at Old Trafford and the start of his second, pre leg break.

Shaw will be given a chance which is why we haven't been trying to sign another LB. He's been really unlucky with injuries and even towards the back-end of last season, Mourinho was giving him more game time until he picked up yet another injury. I hope he is able to stay fit this term as he is a really talented player who offers far more going forward than any of our other options at LB and our left flank has no width whatsoever. At the end of the day though, if he continues to be plagued by injury then the club will probably look to offload him. Can't keep carrying a player who spends most of the season injured regardless of talent.

Hopefully, for United, if he gets fit and starts playing again, he will start playing with his own body and his own mind rather than his body and Jose's mind...

No, it is a shame when you see a young player get injured so regularly, as you start to fear the worst. Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll both started getting injured regularly at a young age and it's just kept going since. I hope it doesn't happen Shaw. To think he has been at Man United for three full seasons and only featured in 47 games across all competitions is a real shame. Still only 22, though, so if he gets fit and stays fit, he has plenty of years to make up for it. Ability-wise, he has all the ingredients to be England's best left back since Ashley Cole.

I remain hopeful that Shaw is not just another player made of glass. He had some fitness issues initially in his first season but a freak leg break is the reason he missed most of the games. Think this is a make or break season for him as it is for Martial. Smalling may be on borrowed time as well.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:41 PM, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid are completely outplaying Barca without Ronaldo, Bale, Casemiro and Isco. Just shows how powerful this squad is. 

Yes, but it also shows how dire the situation at Barcelona is and how badly they need an oxygen injection in the form of Dembele and Coutinho. As much as Liverpool need and want to hang on, Barca need this double acquisition very badly.

And it seems as if Deulofeu, predictably, is already seen as falling short. That move back to Barcelona was a surprise, as he couldn't even make it off the bench at Everton.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

And it seems as if Deulofeu, predictably, is already seen as falling short. That move back to Barcelona was a surprise, as he couldn't even make it off the bench at Everton.

Just another example of their poor transfer business in recent years. Their squad is aging and signing Paulinho doesn't help with that either. There is alot of dead wood in the squad as well and they are struggling to offload those players.

On another note: Dembele is behaving like a real cunt.

What are the views on the proposed closing of the Premier League transfer window before the first game of the season?

I could see the sense in it if the window was to close early in every country, but if it is just in the Premier League, it still exposes Premier League clubs to bids from teams outside England. It certainly wouldn't stop Barca knocking down Liverpool's door right now for Coutinho.

A better idea would be if an agreement could be reached between Premier League clubs to not try and sign each other's players after the first game of the season, but I can't see that happening.

19 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Maybe not Van Dijk, but PSG apparently have been offering Draxler around at a pretty reasonable price as Neymar has taken his spot.

I'm pretty sure he'd still be available only for a significantly inflated price. Also, I haven't seen a lot of Draxler but isn't he primarily a winger? That's pretty much the one position we don't need any players for.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I'm pretty sure he'd still be available only for a significantly inflated price. Also, I haven't seen a lot of Draxler but isn't he primarily a winger? That's pretty much the one position we don't need any players for.

He is quite often played as a winger, but his prefered position is more central as a #10. I'd think he would rather be something of a Firmino like player for Liverpool than a Coutinho replacement. So not exactly what you guys would need if you parted with Coutinho.

10 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

We'd probably still be better off with him over a sulky Coutinho.

I'm really not a fan of keeping players who want away. Sometimes keeping them works out, sure, but it's a big risk.

Depends. Atm Coutinho is (officially) injured. So I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that, the he is atm really not fit and not throwing a tantrum. When he is back, it's down to him how he reacts. Look at Dortmund. Demeble decided to go on strike and the club has suspended till the end of the month I think. Aubameyang (Milan apparently being high on his list of desired destinations) also wants out, but he decided to act professionally and to continue (*must not make lazy pun*) to show up in training and play as best he could. The result his team mates came out to praise him, while being properly pissed at Dembele.

If Barca come back with a bigger offer - over £120m - Liverpool would be getting the best deal in history, IMO. I like Coutinho, but he isn't worth more than £90m and that's with the inflated prices of today taken into account.

Barca are desperate; Liverpool should just keep seeing how far they are willing to go.

If Leipzig and Southampton hadn't played hardball with us and forced their want-away players to stay then Coutinho would already be a Barca player. The owners would get so much shit for selling him when we couldn't get any of our top targets who are in the same situation as Coutinho. 

According to Joyce, the breakdown of the offer was a guaranteed payment of £82.1m + £36.5m in add-ons. It's a similar sort of offer they made for Dembele but Dortmund want a higher initial fee and total value of the deal to be around €150m since, reportedly, Rennes (Dembele's former club) are entitled to around 25% of the transfer fee.

Difficult to see Liverpool selling at this late stage especially given how tough it has been for so many clubs to get deals done in this window. Liverpool have more leverage this season because of the WC. Coutinho can't really afford to sulk and put in shit performances if he ends up staying. Sure, he might still get selected anyway but performance isn't like flipping a switch - a poor season would likely carry over into the WC as well.

Archived