Football: The grind begins

Mexal

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Noble, Tadic, and Southampton's new fella Lemina should probably all be off (Tadic's perhaps the least certain although the commentators made a big deal of it).

I've just seen what Marco Arnautovic did. Crazy. Surely he's going to get more than a 3 match ban? Completely deliberate and completely needless elbow.

I'm not watching their game, but according to the BBC livetext Mahrez is having one of them games where Brighton are feeling the need to triple mark him to stop him, which hasn't happened for a while. Let's hope for his and their sakes that if he stays and that continues Leicester can take better advantage of the space that makes than they made in the early games of last season, where teams could do it with impunity coz none of their other players were trying.

Been quite impressed with Joe Gomez's performance at right back for Liverpool. He seems comfortable enough on the ball; took a few high balls down nicely with his chest. 

Had a feeling this would be a high scoring game but it's been a cagey affair, only a few good chances for either team. Benteke missed the best one.

Edit: Clumsy play at the back from Crystal Palace and Sadio Mane swoops in to score.

Ward-Prowse should really leave Southampton. I understand why they don't use him more than they do - he's not really the type of player that best fits their style, very much about the long passes when they're a short-passing team- but his delivery, from set-pieces and open play, is so good that it feels like a waste to limit his time. Swansea could do a lot worse to replace Siggurdson with him, and if they get Chadli then Ward-Prowse at West Brom would seem like a perfect Pulis player.

Chicharito is a goal machine. Anything that pings loose in the box he's on. West Ham look dire as a team but with individuals like him, Antonio and when he comes back Lanzini they should stay up anyway. But Bilic should be sacked off.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Ward-Prowse should really leave Southampton. I understand why they don't use him more than they do - he's not really the type of player that best fits their style, very much about the long passes when they're a short-passing team- but his delivery, from set-pieces and open play, is so good that it feels like a waste to limit his time. Swansea could do a lot worse to replace Siggurdson with him, and if they get Chadli then Ward-Prowse at West Brom would seem like a perfect Pulis player.

That's a good point about Ward-Prowse. He delivers what is perhaps the best whipped set piece delivery in the Premier League. He'd excel at a team that plays on the percentages and West Brom certainly are one of them. Their team is made up of either aerial threats or set piece takers. 

Swansea play 'better' football and he'd make a good direct replacement for Sigurdsson but considering they may end up in a relegation battle, I couldn't see why he'd want to go there.

Liverpool rotated half of their outfield for this game, including three defenders, and managed a clean sheet and a win despite not being clinical with chances.  I'm worried about this midfield though -- we could comfortably add two upgrades there, never mind the overdue CB. 

But the good news is that we're coping better so far with three key absences -- Coutinho, Clyne and Lallana.  We struggled more last year when missing three starters.    

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I felt the opposite actually. He's given the ball away cheaply a few times, and his crosses have been a little weak. He looked much more impressive at left back a couple of years ago before his injuries.

Of course, he's young and he has a way to go, but I don't see him as ever being more than third place at right back.

He's certainly not at the level of Clyne or TAA, but coming in after having hardly played for such a long time, I thought he did a good job.

Strangely enough, in the midfield and forward line - take the defence out of the equation - Liverpool probably have more depth than they did in the 13/14 season where they came close to winning the title. Being able to start with a forward line of Firmino, Sturridge and Mane before bringing Salah and Solanke off the bench is quite impressive depth up top. That's not taking Origi or Coutinho into account, either.

On 18-8-2017 at 5:21 PM, Horse of Kent said:

Liverpool should accept at that price. Bring in Draxler and Van Dijk to improve the team as a whole at little outlay.

No they shouldn't. Especially now that they've come out with statements saying that they will not sell him this season, and in a situation where Liverpool have been getting shit all done on the transfer market.

They might still get Van Dijk regardless of what happens to Countinho, and that would be a solid get.

Countinho's the heart of the offense and this is the season where Liverpool is back in the CL. If it's about money, sure, get ride of him for 120 million, a great offer, but it really diminishes the squad. Hopefully for them, it's not about the money but the performance.

If there were realistic replacements for Countinho running around, Barca itself would already have approached them, certainly now that they are constantly facing closed doors in "negotations". But no, for them it's Countinho and Dembele or bust. They could easily get Draxler if they thought he was worth their time.

Well, that was an important win. Can't be dealing with being 4-5 points off the top after just two games.

Also first time we didn't lose to Palace at Anfield in four years, so that was a nice duck to break. 

Shots / on target stats were 23/13 - 4/1, so I think it's fair to say it was a deserved win. Some of the attacking play is scintillating, and with slightly more clinical finishing, this could and should have been a rout.

I'm very taken with Solanke. Sturridge did very little today, and I'm pretty sure Solanke would have sunk a couple of those tasty-looking Robertson crosses. Robertson looked a bit shaky and nervous the first couple of minutes (understandable), but really got into the game and was one of our best players in the end.

Firmino's work goes under the radar. He looked really sharp today and has excellent linkup play. Better centrally. 

I thought Gomez did very well. He's no Trent Alexander-Arnold (who looked hilariously mopey about being left out of the matchday squad), but he did a solid job and is getting closer to full fitness and sharpness with every game. Doesn't offer as much going forward but is more composed defensively and arguably has superior positioning.

Klavan is a weird one. Overall his play is really good, I think. He reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball, and has and underrated passing foot. But he's not very imposing physically, and got pushed around too easily by Loftus-Cheek in the run-up to Benteke's massive chance. Definitely a good backup at CB, but shouldn't be a starter. Matip was great today, and kept just picking Townshend's pocket. 

Midfield lacking a bit in creativity without Coutinho (and Lallana) and with Hendo in particular still looking a bit rusty. 

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

If there were realistic replacements for Countinho running around, Barca itself would already have approached them, certainly now that they are constantly facing closed doors in "negotations". But no, for them it's Countinho and Dembele or bust. They could easily get Draxler if they thought he was worth their time.

This is the same Barcelona that let Thiago go for £20m because they didn't play him on the last day of the season to ensure his release clause stayed high when Xavi was on the way out and he then developed into the best in his position worldwide. This is the same Barcelona who bought Paulinho when Seri was available at the same price and Matuidi at half that. Draxler's best reference is that Barca ignored him.

No they shouldn't. Especially now that they've come out with statements saying that they will not sell him this season, and in a situation where Liverpool have been getting shit all done on the transfer market.

If someone offers you more than a player is worth and you can adequately replace them then sell. It is foolish to put pride ahead of reason to that degree. If the reports saying most the new money from that is in unlikely to be activated add-ons are correct then selling at this stage might be unadvisable, but £120m is ludicrous.

Countinho's the heart of the offense and this is the season where Liverpool is back in the CL. If it's about money, sure, get ride of him for 120 million, a great offer, but it really diminishes the squad. Hopefully for them, it's not about the money but the performance.

Coutinho is a great player, but to say he is the heart of Liverpool's attack seems excessive. Mane is around the same ability, as is Salah. Bring in another to provide competition and depth to account for Champions League football and they will be fine.

Robertson did pretty well today. His positioning is a lot better than Moreno and so far he seems less likely to chase hopeless causes (like Moreno trying to press goalkeeper last game......). He put in some really good crosses and seemed to be developing an understanding with Milner. Also displayed good strength in protecting the ball. So far so good in the LB front, as long as Moreno can tighten up his game......

Is it me or did Sturridge look a bit slow? He doesn't seem nearly as quick as I remember him to be. Kept getting beaten by the defenders in a chase. Not sure if he just gave up the chase or he is taking it easy due to injuries. Either way, he had a fairly average game. Couple of good footwork to remind everyone what he is capable of. Hopefully he gets better with some more game time.

I though Pool played as well as can be expected, considering it's only the second match, and it's a bogey team! They were comfortably in control for vast majority of the game. They had some really good chances and will need to be a lot more clinical going forward if they want to grind out these 1-0 wins against deep defending teams.

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It really doesn't. Every single Liverpool fan in the universe goes on about it non-stop.

He had a much better game today, but the problem with him is that half of the time he doesn't play well, and his excellent work ethic isn't enough to justify his place in those games.

Even when he plays shit, it's usually his offensive play that suffers. He has always defended well (chasing back, pressing, tackling etc) even when playing shit. You can't say the same for Sturridge (I'm assuming that's who you want to start centrally). If Sturridge doesn't score goals, then he is a total passenger, like most of this last game. 

I do hope he gets more game time and sharpens up. We all know what he can do. I think he will do better with a Lallana/Coutinho/creative mid feeding him. He plays a lot better when he is partnered up with someone (e.g. next to suarez or in front of coutinho from good ol days).

I wonder if Klopp will consider a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 formation with Solanke or Firmino behind Sturridge. It's probably a bit too attacking for his taste (specially with Pool's defensive fragility), but could be worth it against deep defending team.

Edit: Transfer talk
- rumours of Barca signing Seri could be a potentialy good sign for Liverpool/Coutinho, specially after rejecting the last bid. I must admit i was nervous that the last bid from Barca was going to go through.

- other rumours saying Mbappe to PSG, and as a result, Draxlar to Arsenal/United/Liverpool. I do think Liverpool could use a Draxler type, a fast winger who can also play through centre, specially if Coutinho goes. It would allow a better rotation for Salah and Mane. Currently, there are no adequate substitute for them. Firmino doesn't have the pace IMO to be a proper Mane/Salah substitute. But Pool has so many damn forwards, all of whom want to play centre, i don't know if Klopp would want to add another forward to the squad (as opposed to just making some of the forwards adapt to wing position).

Either way, glad that FSG rejected Coutinho bid. He shouldn't be let go until Pool signs the replacements.

19 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I've just seen what Marco Arnautovic did. Crazy. Surely he's going to get more than a 3 match ban? Completely deliberate and completely needless elbow.

That has to be the single most stupid red card I've ever seen. It even tops Zidane vs Materazzi in 2006.

Archived