Football: The grind begins

Mexal

20 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Nah, there's a new article in The Times, from one of Liverpool's reliable journalists, that says he's said he doesn't want to play for the club again.

I very much doubt he's going to go on strike and not play/deliberately put in subpar performancesĀ in a World Cup year.

Regardless he's still going to training anyway.

17 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Difficult to see Liverpool selling at this late stage especially given how tough it has been for so many clubs to get deals done in this window. Liverpool have more leverage this season because of the WC. Coutinho can't really afford to sulk and put in shit performances if he ends up staying. Sure, he might still get selected anyway but performance isn't like flipping a switch - a poor season would likely carry over into the WC as well.

Also, I assume he's not guaranteed a place in the team? I'm not gonna pretend I'm intimately acquainted with Brazil's national team affairs, but I imagine there's enough good players that he has to perform for his club to be safe.Ā 

17 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I very much doubt he's going to go on strike and not play/deliberately put in subpar performancesĀ in a World Cup year.

Regardless he's still going to training anyway.

Yeah, missing a World Cup at 25 when you're maturing into a world class player is not ideal. Also, you have to be wondering how much fucking Joorabchian is Grima Wormstongueing the poor boy. He's always seemed very level-headed and down to earth, Neymar's opposite number. This isn't really like him.Ā 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Him and Jordan Ayew. Ayew's not as skilled maybe but his workrate is ridiculous.

Ayew has been good so far. He and Abraham are an awkward pair to defend against. Man United definitely aren't getting it as easy from Swansea as they were from West Ham. Still feel they will score, though.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. and we still have the major problem of very little to no width in our play.

Full backs are the only people offering any kind of width, but Blind is reluctant to really charge forward in the same way Valencia is on the opposite side.Ā 

They could do with a fully fit Luke Shaw.

Jose likes to play his right footed wide men on the left and his left footed wide men on the right. It would make more sense if he had wingers that were better on their week foot, so they could mix things up.Ā Mata, Martial, Rashford, Young are all pretty one footed and one dimensional; they very rarely go outside and head for the by line.

9 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Ā Martial has looked much better than Rashford so far this season.

Rashford was excellent last week and fine today until he came off. Martial's got the goals but he's also had the benefit of coming on against tired legs.

Good game again, 4-0 was harsh on Swansea but if we can turn that momentum into a habit of ruthlessness I'll be chuffed. It's the sort of thing we've been missing: last season we could have drawn a game like that.

A big positive so far has been that we look alot more clinical in front of goal. Scoring first in both matches helped a great deal too as the opposition were then forced to come out a bit more and we were able to use our powerful counter-attack. Our play is still a bit too narrow when the opposition is compact though. Rashford's movement is very good; much better than Martial's. He just needs to improve his finishing. It's great to have Martial as an option off the bench when there are tired legs about.

The signs look good for Man United. They hadn't won in the league by fourĀ goals since 2014 until last week; now they have done it two games on the trot.

I've a feeling by the end of the season we won't be talking about Paul Pogba's price tag anymore.

Still can't believe Chelsea allowed Matic to move to Man United. He's been brilliant in both league games and the Super Cup. He is exactly what Pogba has needed in beside him all along.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Southampton-West Ham is feisty. Arnautovic sent off but it could easily be nine men each at this stage.

I've a feeling Slaven Bilic could be one of the first managers sacked this season. Things aren't looking good for West Ham.

Apparently Mark Noble should have been sent off, too?

8 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I've a feeling Slaven Bilic could be one of the first managers sacked this season. Things aren't looking good for West Ham.

Apparently Mark Noble should have been sent off, too?

Noble, Tadic, and Southampton's new fella Lemina should probably all be off (Tadic's perhaps the least certain although the commentators made a big deal of it).

Archived