Daenerys Targaryen - The Most Skilled Orator in the Show

Daenerys Targaryen, to me, is the best orator on the show.  No one even comes close.  We have yet to see that side of the Queen this season but I expect it is coming.  She may be the best in the books as well, though Ser Barristan is very, very good. 

1. Who is the second best orator on the show
  2. List the top five best public speakers on the show.

I would disagree with Daenerys being the best orator on the show, however she gets the most opportunities to deliver speeches.  I actually prefer her in the books which is both a reflection on Emilia's acting as well as on her show only dialouge.  If we our focused on only public speaking, I am hard pressed to name many better mostly because they have not had many opportunities.  My list for people speaking in front of crowds on the show might go something like this...

1.  Davos Seaworth,  2. The Spice Merchant in Qarth,  3. Septon Al Swearengen (Ian McShane S6),  4. Lyanna Mormont,  5. Margaery Tyrell

Show Dany is the best public speaker by far.  Whether in High Valyrian or Dothraki, she gives many politicians lessons in the art of speaking. 

Book Dany is an unknown in that field because the written text is not as good at conveying that kind of dialogue when compared to the audio+video that we get on tv.  But I would wager that GM intended for Dany to have the same skill set.  It will serve her well in Westeros.  She is very intelligent and knows just the right buttons to push.  Making all of the Dothraki bloodriders was genius.  Letting the unsullied choose to follow her was brilliant.  She knew how to make use of religion to further her reforms in slaver's bay.   We will read one of her highly effective speeches.  Don't worry.

We haven't really seen a lot of public speaking on the show, except from Dany, but one who is definitely up there is Ned Stark.

He had no qualms whatsoever in publicly sentencing Grwgor Clegane to death and denouncing Lord Tywin and his oration skills were very good in doing so. The wisdom of that move is debateable, but this thread is not the place for that. Its about ability to orate and from what little we saw of Ned doing that, he was very good and probably only second to Dany in show.

I will also add that Lyanna Mormont is pretty good here too, brilliant for her age, and her words and delivery inspired some of the other Northern Lords (Manderly, Glover) who probably never would have declared Jon KiTN without her influence.

Yes, she is

Other very good public speakers are:

Melisandre

Margaery(not sure)

Ned (I didn't consider him to be an orator, but when he sentence Gregor Clegane to death, and denounce Tywin, he made me think again).

Cersei(she did well when she was talking about the foreign savages that Daenerys brought to Westeros)

Lyanna Mormont

Asha (books): I liked her speech at the Kingsmoot

Euron: The Ironborn chose him, so his speech wasn't bad at all

Eyepatch Zombie Flaming Sword Guy has a beautiful voice. It's enchanting.

Dany is called Deadpan for a reason. That style would be good for a comedy, but I don't think they want me laughing during Dany's lectures about how great she is. 

She's better than Jon, who has two faces: "blank" and "pissy." Which sounds like an improvement on Dany's zero faces. But I get sick of pissy emo oratory faster than deadpan oratory. 

Davos is good if he has five or fewer (mind your grammar!) listeners.

Cersei invariably sounds crazy, even when she has decent arguments. 

Tywin had the most perfect posh Shakespearean--or Received Pronunciation (RP)--accent and diction. 

Lil' Mormount annoys the heck out of me, but she gets results. 

17 minutes ago, darmody said:

Tywin had the most perfect posh Shakespearean--or Received Pronunciation (RP)--accent and diction. 

Tywin was the best public speaker for clear, firm announcements, but beyond that he was pretty useless. He couldn't inspire anyone, like say Dany, Ned, Lyanna Mormont, Tyrion or even Margaery could.

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

(1) Kinvarra's Priestesses - they preached to support Dany's policies in Mereen.

(2)

1. Daenerys Targaryen
  2. Red Priestesses
  3. High Sparrow
  4. Robb Stark
  5. Davos Seaworth

Kinvara was my first thought after Daenerys, but we didn't really saw her talking to people so I didn't include her.

High Sparrow is really good too..(forgot about him)

Jon is better.

His speech to the NW in order to convince them to go with him to avenge Mormont was a good example.

Also, his speeches where he convinces the Northern Lords/Sansa are some of the best on the show.  The one where he gives the Karstarks/Umbers their family homes is good stuff.

I would say she is the best because of the sheer volume of them. 

I still think Tyrion's "I wish I had" speech was the best thing on GOT. And actually his speech before the blackwater bay battle was pretty good. 

I don't know, I kinda like early Tyrion better than Danny at orating. But he has gotten, a lot worse let's say, since then. So I guess overall she would be better? 

As far as just monologues in general (I know it's slightly off topic, sorry) Jamie has had some really good ones too.

12 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Show Dany is the best public speaker by far.  Whether in High Valyrian or Dothraki, she gives many politicians lessons in the art of speaking.

Yes she is the best speaker.

Second Best - Khal Drogo

1 - Daenerys

2 - Khal Drogo

3 - the High Sparrow

4 - Petyr B.

5 - Robb Stark

Archived