Daenerys Targaryen - The Most Skilled Orator in the Show

She just speaks empty words 95% of the time. Such us that stupid "I am here to break the wheel, bend the knee to me or burn" piece of rubbish she delivered last episode. What exactly was she talking about? Not ending slavery, because it is already illegal in Westeros. Not ending feudalism or absolute monarchy, as the "bend the knee" part illustrates. May she be speaking about a literal cart wheel? Because that would make some sense...

If selling crap and burning people who do not buy it makes you a good speaker, she is fantastic, then.

If you think Dany is one of the best orators, then the Master is none other than Drogon.

Let's take Dany's last speech to the captured soldier after the Field of Fire 2.0. She said her speech, added that they either they bow or die, and only 1 in every 10 people were bending the knee.

Then Drogon comes in and gives his speech, and 9 out of every 10 men are instantly on their knees. Shame that my draconic is not very good, I would have liked to translate it and add it to my signature, or even frame it and keep it for posterity. Such fine oratorical skills.

30 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

She just speaks empty words 95% of the time. Such us that stupid "I am here to break the wheel, bend the knee to me or burn" piece of rubbish she delivered last episode. What exactly was she talking about?

She was quite clear about this last season. She sees the noble Houses of Westeros as spokes on a wheel, each on top for a short while, "crushing those on the ground".

Daenerys has no use for the noble houses. Or as someone once summed it up; one people, one kingdom, one füh... queen.

8 minutes ago, Anarres said:

She was quite clear about this last season. She sees the noble Houses of Westeros as spokes on a wheel, each on top for a short while, "crushing those on the ground".

Daenerys has no use for the noble houses. Or as someone once summed it up; one people, one kingdom, one füh... queen.

So will she strip Jon of his KiTN title? Or will she ask the people of the Nortth (not just the bunch of nobles who were at WF at that moment) for a referendum on his rule? What about Olena, Yara, and the Sand Snakes? Is Tyrion giving up on his claim to Casterly Rock and looking for a job? 

That is propaganda in the best of cases, nonsense in the worst ones.

35 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

She just speaks empty words 95% of the time. Such us that stupid "I am here to break the wheel, bend the knee to me or burn" piece of rubbish she delivered last episode. What exactly was she talking about? Not ending slavery, because it is already illegal in Westeros. Not ending feudalism or absolute monarchy, as the "bend the knee" part illustrates. May she be speaking about a literal cart wheel? Because that would make some sense...

If selling crap and burning people who do not buy it makes you a good speaker, she is fantastic, then.

+1

I think that Danny's speeches are unimpressive and I begin to think that is intended. She has lot of titles and cracks grandnoise banter like her brother did but the only thing that people think about when she speaks is "whoa! that's a dragon! an it's huge!". Dany is not a bad person and she can gain friendship, trust loyalty and love in a direct relation but she is an awful leader and politician.

Much unlike Jon who easily wins over the Nightswatch, the Wildlings, and the North without even trying.

I think that the contrast between the two was highlighted enough.

12 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

That is propaganda in the best of cases, nonsense in the worst ones.

I don't disagree that it's a rather far-fetched scheme, perhaps fuelled by her lack of knowledge about Westeros' politics and the ease with which she displaced the ruling elites of some of the cities she captured. Her forefathers were perfectly capable of working with "the wheel", and her dealings with first her allies and now Jon might cause her to rethink her earlier idea about destroying it. Perhaps not immediately, as the speech in the most recent episode seems to indicate, but over the long run. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Perhaps we need a few more in-universe reactions to her speeches to get a better sense of how the writers are using them. From the way Tyrion was portrayed, I get the impression they are fully aware of the questionable merits of her claims and views. That seems fine.

Is it nonsense? Probably it is, but that's not a deal-killer in politics. Lots of people say nonsense and get crowds riled up. And she has dragons. It's probably a good idea to take her seriously, regardless of the logic of her reasoning.

Dany's public speaking skills kinda stumble on the tendency to go to the "me" angle a bit too much. Kinda in line with Tywin's slap on Joffrey's "I am the king". Not prepared speeches without too much entitlement are better for her.

Davos is a very good personal speaker. Did not see much of him publicly speaking. 

Jon is good for desperate attempts. Not much as a peacetime speaker. Too much doom and gloom. 

Tyrion at Blackwater and at trial was brilliant. Too bad the latter was for a rather tough crowd.

Barristan's speech when "resigning" from the Kingsguard was pretty powerful and well delivered.

Khal Drogo was very good in his cultural context.

Well define "good orator". 

someone who can affect their audience on an emotional / cognitive / behavioral level?  someone who is pleasant to listen to in their tone of voice and figure of speech? Someone who delivers substantial messages? 

Daenerys is undoubtedly pleasant to listen to, Emilia is pretty good at speeches especially if they aren't in English (each and every scene in which she speaks Valyrian or Dothraki is better than the scenes in which she speaks English), and she usually affects her audience on an emotional and often behavioral level too. But the stuff she says is quite often pretty meaningless. (Follow me/I'm awesome/wheel) 

Davos is the voice of reason and he is good at reaching his audience on a cognitive level and make them understand that his usually substantial message is important. 

The High Sparrow was full of shit, but he too often reached his audience on an emotional level. He wasn't pleasant to listen to and made no sense. The red priests are, not surprisingly, the same. 

Tyrion is either amusing which gets through to his audience and evokes sympathy, or a crybaby which also often gets through to his audience on an emotional level. He is (used to be) smart so he is (was) able to cognitively convince people of his message as well and these resulted in an effect on their behavior. Tyrion is not pleasant to listen to, at least I usually cant stand his speeches, they are either very condescending to the other people or are all about how everybody should feel sorry for him. 

Jon is a terrible public speaker. 

Who else was brought up. 

Lyanna Mormont. Don't get me started. Having balls and being arrogant doesn't make you a good public speaker. What she says rarely ever makes sense, the  only reason she has an effect on people is the shock value that a ten year old just bossed me around. 

Littlefinger, does he give public speeches? His private speeches are very good, he's pleasant to listen to, he usually makes sense and there's that ominous undertone. Varys is the same. I actually prefer Conleth's voice and accent, but that's really a personal preference. 

Khal Drogo. I mean... Jason Momoa howling in Dothraki, ripping out tongues and doing a Hakka? We all know how I feel about that. He is an out of the world amazing orator. 

And then there's Theon who delivered a motivational, logical and amusing speech at Winterfell and did great speaking up for Yara at the kingsmoot too. 

And Tywin who didn't speak publicly, but need I remind everybody of the family legacy speech and the deer skinning? 

But I think it's not wrong to give the best orator award to Daenerys. Just maybe for a Dothraki or Valyrian speech and not a common tongue one. 

4 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

Jon is better.

His speech to the NW in order to convince them to go with him to avenge Mormont was a good example.

Also, his speeches where he convinces the Northern Lords/Sansa are some of the best on the show.  The one where he gives the Karstarks/Umbers their family homes is good stuff.

I I really don't get it.. Do you know what is an orator is. Is someone who manage to inspire and convince people with speech. Jon inspire people, but he is not the best orator. Maybe it's because he never talked to thousands of people yet.. I just can't think he is good at words. He is a warrior, a ruler, a person that can inspire people, but not with his speeches. Jon Ofc has good speeches too.. The ones you mentioned are no bad at allon any way.

Daenerys had more chances to speak in public... An example is the speech to the Unsullied. She truly got the trust of Unsullied when she gave them a choice. Her speeches in Valyrian and Dothraki are better in my opinion..

An orator is also a person who can answer to other people opinions and change the view of the audience to his side..(we haven't seen a debate in got yet though)

2 hours ago, Anarres said:

Dany obviously has a use for noble houses. She's the head of one! She also allied with at least three of them (Tyrell, Martell, Greyjoy), and is close to allying with House...Snow? Stark? Stark-Snow? (Targaryen?)

They just want her to sound radical, even though she's fighting to restore the dynasty that a generation ago had an unbroken 300-year line. She'll break the wheel in the sense that it will stop rolling. Her spoke will be on top forever. That way, no one will be crushed as other houses rise. Targaryens shall remain the ones exploiting everyone else for all eternity?

Cersei benefits from the current order, which admittedly is bad. Very expensive, warlike, and explode-y. Dany is better than Cersei, so her wheel won't crush people. Even though her claim is based on her father's kingship, and he was as bad as if not worse than Cersei.  

That won't happen again, because it's not as if Targaryens flip a coin with incest anymore. Dragons are Dany's only children. (Wait, in that case, what is she restoring her dynasty for?) At least until she has sex with Jon Snow, who is her nephew. Oops. 

On 8/15/2017 at 6:39 PM, Night Train to Kathmandu said:

Daenerys Targaryen, to me, is the best orator on the show.  No one even comes close.  We have yet to see that side of the Queen this season but I expect it is coming.  She may be the best in the books as well, though Ser Barristan is very, very good. 

1. Who is the second best orator on the show
  2. List the top five best public speakers on the show.
  1. Best:  Daenerys
  2. Second Best:  Khal Drogo
  3. Melisandre
  4. Catelyn
  5. Sparrow

I don't feel like she is very good, just seems like a fantasy and she's bullshitting me. I'd rather have someone tell me the truth.

I can't think of anyone in the show that does good speeches. Cersei is the same as Dany, just spreading lies. That nobody with common sense should believe

Daenerys Targaryen is the best orator on the show.  No other character even comes close.  Tyrion can give an emotional speech but not a convincing one.  Khal Drogo's gave a powerful speech right after the assassin was caught.  This is an important skill in a ruler.  The ability to communicate and the power to persuade are important.  Ser Barristan's speech to his inexperienced men outside Mereen was awesome and exactly what they needed to hear.  Barry knew the importance of symbolism and I think people underrate his non-fighting skills.  

I can't believe Jon would even be mentioned in a list of skilled public speakers.  Jon is not an effective speaker.

I think Emilia and Kit are both pretty meh actors, both lack range, and Kit comes off as a bit dim witted. If we were talking about the books however, (i understand, we aren't. here i go anyway) I would have to give the nod to Jon Snow. His speech to the men of the watch and the free folk after receiving the pink letter. goosebumps. You bet your bottom dragon (I'm a nerd) I'd be riding south.

Archived