Is Danny showing signs of her father's pyrophilia?

DominusNovus

In this specific instance I will have to disagree with you.  I didn't think she gave him the loving eyes until he announced he was going on the wight hunt.  She looked more disturbed to me than anything else when she realized Jon was petting Drogon.  Maybe surprised and a tinge jealous that her dragon responded well to someone else.  Was this the scene you were talking about?

3 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

I've b een mulling over Danny's Tarly-burning scene, and something has struck me: the very next scene she's in, she's giving Jon the lovey eyes so strongly that even Drogon picks up on it.  Is anyone else reminded of how Aerys was aroused by burning people?

No.The Aerys parallel this season is Cersei who tortures Ellaria and Tyene and after that goes and has sex with Jamie.

13 minutes ago, cade said:

To me, she looked curious and impressed, not disturbed or jealous at all.

Yeah jealous isn't entirely the word I was looking for.  Maybe concerned?  To me it wasn't a positive or a negative reaction so much as neutral surprise - like she was sorting out what to think about it.  Not a look of desire for Jon though.

17 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

No.The Aerys parallel this season is Cersei who tortures Ellaria and Tyene and after that goes and has sex with Jamie.

Good catch, I didn't think of that at all!

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

This is true. I will happily be the first to criticize Dany (to the point where I've been accused of this being my reason for existing, heh!), but not even I would claim that Dany gets aroused by burning those people. I will add, though, that neither was young Aerys - in fact he was lauded as a potential great king.

I definitely think she jumps to burning too quickly, and I think it's monumentally stupid since she's trying to distance herself from her father's actions, which fair or not burning people will make a lot harder, but there's no sign of pleasure in the burning part.

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

This is true. I will happily be the first to criticize Dany (to the point where I've been accused of this being my reason for existing, heh!), but not even I would claim that Dany gets aroused by burning those people. I will add, though, that neither was young Aerys - in fact he was lauded as a potential great king.

I definitely think she jumps to burning too quickly, and I think it's monumentally stupid since she's trying to distance herself from her father's actions, which fair or not burning people will make a lot harder, but there's no sign of pleasure in the burning part.

I didn't get any impression of her getting aroused, although she is definitely too quick to use her dragons to barbeque people.  Huge tactical mistake if she wants to distance herself from her maniacal father.

When she landed Drogon on the cliff, I wondered if she was taking a big chance.  But I guess we are supposed to understand that Drogon won't torch anyone without her command when she is riding him. Her expression looked to me like cautious curiosity.

9 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

I've b een mulling over Danny's Tarly-burning scene, and something has struck me: the very next scene she's in, she's giving Jon the lovey eyes so strongly that even Drogon picks up on it.  Is anyone else reminded of how Aerys was aroused by burning people?

I assume that a period of some days has passed since the battle and her return to Dragonstone.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that Dany gets aroused by burning and torturing people, whereas Cersei does.

I don't think so, her burning the Tarlys is less severe by miles compared to what Aegon 1 did in Harrenhal. Aegon burnt everyone and everything in Harrenhal, maids, slaves, regular soldier etc while Dany spared the soldiers. If Randyll just shut up about Dany can't send him to the Wall because she's not his Queen it kinda looked like she was willing to spare him. 

She wanted to spare him but he made it hard given he took her offer and threw it in her face. Tarly was an ass who if he had ordered his son to bend his knees or took the black so his son wouldn't die dickon would still be alive.

As for dany I think that when she was with drogon she was just in shock that it happened and then when she gave him the googly eyes it was because he was going to fight north of the wall and she was worried.

Cersei torturing the sand snakes and then running to jaime to have sex with him because the torture turned her on. That was the aery's parrarel.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:25 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

In this specific instance I will have to disagree with you.  I didn't think she gave him the loving eyes until he announced he was going on the wight hunt.  She looked more disturbed to me than anything else when she realized Jon was petting Drogon.  Maybe surprised and a tinge jealous that her dragon responded well to someone else.  Was this the scene you were talking about?

She was making eyes at him hardcore in the cave.  She's liked Jon since the first time he stood up to her.....while being respectful.  But after the cave she was sold on Jon imo.  Emilia has done some of her best non verbal work this season with her heavy breaths just slight gestures over Jon.

She was holding off the tears when he went to volunteer for that wight hunt and then him standing his ground again just iced the cake which Drogon had finished baking as Jon stood there.....FEARLESS......to pet her dragon which was making her nervous because......he's a freaking dragon that could burn up Jon any moment.  She was already very, very fond of Jon by then and she was showing us she was afraid Jon might get hurt.....then.....oh my.....Drogon likes him too......I gotta have him.

Emilia's best facial expressions (something she had truly struggled with the first few seasons) are so much better this season.  To be fair, she has gotten better and better with non verbal communication and acting as the show has rolled along.

@Lord Okra I totally agree that Dany has the hots for Jon, I just didn't see it during the dragon scene.  If she was so worried Drogon would have hurt Jon why did she ride right up to him in the first place?  I think she was trying to intimidate him into bending the knee at that specific instance, and was a little taken aback by his reaction.

4 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

@Lord Okra I totally agree that Dany has the hots for Jon, I just didn't see it during the dragon scene.  If she was so worried Drogon would have hurt Jon why did she ride right up to him in the first place?  I think she was trying to intimidate him into bending the knee at that specific instance, and was a little taken aback by his reaction.

I saw 3 separate reactions from Dany in that scene.  When Drogon first approached Jon, she had a look of confusion. She looked curious when Jon was out of her view and she couldn't tell what was happening.  Lastly, I wouldn't say she looked aroused, but a feeling of love/lust/attraction crossed her face when she saw Jon petting Drogon.  Her facial expressions in many of the scenes are very subtle and it takes multiple viewings before I can really pick up on all of them.  The scene when they announce the plan to capture the wight is another good example.  She gets multiple expressions for Jon including fear, sadness, and you can see the inner struggle before she swallows and nods her OK for him to leave.

Like others have said, I think Cersei is more of a parallel to Aerys than Dany is.  Also, although perception is considered reality and being burned to death by Dragon fire seems crazy, it is probably more humane than beheading.  We've seen multiple instances where it took more than 1 swing of the sword to kill someone and there are studies that show the brain can stay alive for a few seconds even after a clean decapitation.

On 16/08/2017 at 8:03 AM, SansaJonRule said:

But I guess we are supposed to understand that Drogon won't torch anyone without her command when she is riding him. Her expression looked to me like cautious curiosity.

It seems their relationship is much like the Stark kids and their wolves. The wolves know who is a friend and who isn't to the point that they can go into battle and still stick to killing the right people.

Archived