Jon will never be king.

Skahaz mo Kandaq

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

That's a good point. I'm pulling for him. I just wish he'd settle down, get to the business of ruling and leave all the daring do, excursionary stuff to his men. . . 

But as Ned said, "The man who passes the sentence, should swing the sword."

And letting other men do the "excursionary stuff" would make for very boring television. 

1 hour ago, princess brittany said:

hes too good to be king pretty much.

I agree...

1 hour ago, ShadowKitteh said:

But as Ned said, "The man who passes the sentence, should swing the sword."

And letting other men do the "excursionary stuff" would make for very boring television. 

Yes but he was talking about executions. He was basically voted in as king and excepted th title. That title comes with responsibilities. A lot of the stuff he he does should be delegated down to others. Instead he delegates the rulership and performs the more mundane tasks himself. That's not a sign of good leadership. His job title has changed. He needs to settle down. He shouldn't have taken it because obviously it's not his forte.

From the way the show has progressed I think it would have been better for Sansa to have been named QinTN. He would have then been free to run around and be the action hero he was born to be without anyone griping. :D

12 hours ago, Annalee said:

I would choose Dany over jon too.  Not only because I can't stand Jon but because Dany is the best hope for Westeros.  She has proven herself in the Bay of Dragons.  The girl is a winner.

8 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

THIS IS KNOWN!

It Is Known!

:)

I want Daenerys ruling in the end.  I think this is where both book and Hbo are headed.  They may diverge on their way to get there but get there in the same place they will.  Daenerys will take the throne from Cersei.  Daenerys is the younger, more beautiful queen. 

Jon's purpose is to fight the white walkers.  He really doesn't have much use after that.  In the books he will come back temporarily as a wight and live just long enough to fight the Others.  The show chose to take a different path when they brought him back to life but it would be vulgar to put Jon on the throne at the end.  His story arc just doesn't indicate that he will be a capable ruler. 

I don't think Jon will be king in the end.  He has to know at some level that Dany is the better ruler and if he has anything in him besides pride and arrogance he will not even tell her of his parentage.  He will quietly take his wildlings and live on the other side of the wall after the others are defeated.  He can give any excuse he likes for leaving. 

8 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

But... he's already King in the North.

No.  He's in active rebellion.  If he wins that rebellion then the northmen can vote him king but until then he is not legally a king.  The northmen do not get to choose.  Do they have the right to oppose Ned's lordship over Winterfell 17 years ago?  No, they did not.  Could they have voted to remove Lord Rickard Stark if they had wanted to?  No they could not.  So they still do not have that right today.

21 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Ugh... I love these threads that turn into raging hate-ons.  Whether it's Jon hate or Dany hate, I just don't get it.  

Theyre both the heroes of the story and people are actively hoping for their death.  

It's f/cking weird. 

It's especially weird in this series. GRRM specifically set out to not give us good guys vs. bad guys, and instead treat people like heroes on every side, while at the same time showing all of those heroes doing plenty of non-heroic things.

And yet people somehow think, "If I look hard enough, I can figure out who really is the good guy and who really is the bad guy, so I can root for one and hate the other." Why dpn't they find another series that doesn't actively fight them in doing that? Lord of the Rings is a great series, and it's very easy to hate Sauron without coming up with ridiculous contortions and deliberately misinterpreting in the story to justify them.

(Of course I still think the Night King is a hero. The expression is "pure as the driven snow" for a reason.:))

3 minutes ago, falcotron said:

(Of course I still think the Night King is a hero. The expression is "pure as the driven snow" for a reason

You know, I've seen snow after it's been driven on and I have to be honest.  

Not pure. ;)

i kind of agree though.  I think there's much more to the Others in the books, but I don't think we'll get anything but a faceless enemy in the tv show.  

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

You know, I've seen snow after it's been driven on and I have to be honest.  

Not pure. ;)

i kind of agree though.  I think there's much more to the Others in the books, but I don't think we'll get anything but a faceless enemy in the tv show.  

I think we might get something interesting.

I've got lots of guesses for what GRRM might do, and I can see how some of them could be simplified and presented to a TV audience. I think I've posted this elsewhere, but anyway, here's one of them:

R'hllor and the Great Other are clearly modeled on (a sensationalized version of) Zoroastrianism. Ahura Mazda's final victory means the end of the world. So, even though it's both evil and hopeless to fight against him, you can imagine someone thinking they had to do it, just to delay the end of the world. It's like all the post-Milton sympathetic takes on Satan, except that Ahriman is a more interesting (or at least more unfamiliar) character than Satan. Anyway, (unlike Ahura Mazda and Ahriman) R'hllor and the Great Other are not all-powerful gods; they're forces that the Red Priests and the Others are misinterpreting as gods. More to the point, the Others aren't delaying the end of the world, they're just delaying its evolution to the next age, where the seasons will be normal and the big destructive magics will fade away. And that's why they have to be fought, even though their motives are understandable.

So, that obviously won't work on TV, but here's a version that could: The Night King thinks he's fighting for "balance in the Force", but he's wrong because the light side is already in balance (as seen by the fact that you get alternating day and night without him, not a Long Day). Being wrong doesn't make him evil, but it does mean he has to be defeated.

Archived