Bakker L - Unholy Consultation and Collaboration (Now with TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

This is the perpetual thread devoted to the works of R. Scott Bakker, primarily the books in The Second Apocalypse series, the first novel is The Darkness that Comes Before, the seventh novel was published on July 4, 2017 and is The Unholy Consult.  It is currently available for purchase.

This thread is for the series through The Great Ordeal and contains spoilers through that novel.

The series is called The Second Apocalypse and is currently comprised of two sub-series, a trilogy and a quartet. Potentially, there will be a third series, although the author has stated that the quartet completes his original vision for the story. 

The first trilogy of books is subtitled The Prince of Nothing these three books are:

1. The Darkness that Comes Before
  2. The Warrior Prophet
  3. The Thousandfold Thought

The second quartet of books is subtitled The Aspect Emperor, these four books are:

1. The Judging Eye
  2. The White-Luck Warrior
  3. The Great Ordeal
  4. The Unholy Consult (2017).

The Unholy Consult also includes an expanded Appendix/Encyclopedic Glossary. The original Glossary exists currently only at the end of the third book, The Thousandfold Thought. 

Additionally, Bakker has published three short stories, The False Sun and The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin on Bakker's Blog Three Pound Brain (and now also as appendices in The Unholy Consult) and The Knife of Many Hands, which is available for purchase. There is also another short story, The Carathayan, available for purchase in this anthology (along with a introduction by Bakker)This thread contains spoilers for these publications. The False Sun is the most discussed work of these three shorts.

Since Bakker's writing uses layers of revelation, newcomers are strongly advised to finish the books before coming here; otherwise the spoilers will rot your soul. Eternally.

Of potential interest, Bakker did stop by the board shortly after the release of The Great Ordeal and did answer several questions.  That discussion can be found here.

Most denizens of this thread have also read Bakker's non-fantasy novels Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog, but the spoiler policy is unclear. You are advised to hide crucial plot points in those novels.

Thanks to Happy Ent for the intro to the thread.

Intro may need to be changed up a tad.

Sadly, the part that bums me out the most part is:

Since Bakker's writing uses layers of revelation, newcomers are strongly advised to finish the books before coming here; otherwise the spoilers will rot your soul. Eternally.

Does it?  After everything we know now... is it really layers of revelation?  I know its a bit spoiler-y to discuss that here, its just almost unavoidable. 

FWIW, my feelings on the use of spoilers in this topic is that we stay spoiler free until the current spoiler thread hits page 20 (should be really soon) and then to use Bakker's word "Rip off the G-string".  :(

On 8/16/2017 at 9:27 PM, Rhom said:

Intro may need to be changed up a tad.

Sadly, the part that bums me out the most part is:

Does it?  After everything we know now... is it really layers of revelation?  I know its a bit spoiler-y to discuss that here, its just almost unavoidable. 

FWIW, my feelings on the use of spoilers in this topic is that we stay spoiler free until the current spoiler thread hits page 20 (should be really soon) and then to use Bakker's word "Rip off the G-string".  :(

I would rather wait to see the actual books rather than base our expectations and predictions of the next series on an AMA answer that we are not entirely sure of.

I haven't read the book yet (I'm still busy with the previous one), but I have a general question: Does the book include a glossary? Years ago, Bakker considered writing an own encyclopedia since all the background stuff might go beyond the scope of a novel, and I'm wondering what happened to that idea. In TTT, the glossary was among the things that impressed me most.

30 minutes ago, Corvus corone said:

I haven't read the book yet (I'm still busy with the previous one), but I have a general question: Does the book include a glossary? Years ago, Bakker considered writing an own encyclopedia since all the background stuff might go beyond the scope of a novel, and I'm wondering what happened to that idea. In TTT, the glossary was among the things that impressed me most.

Yes, there is a glossary in TUC.

Funny review I read of TUC, titled "not a laugh, from cover to cover“

"The series in general, and this book in particular, is deeply Tolkienesque - the scope and complexity of the imagined world, the sounds of the proper nouns, even the style of the maps. In fact, the book might well be how a version of the Lord of the Rings as told by the Lord of the Nazgul would turn out”.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:18 AM, End of Disc One said:

Didn't someone from this forum once try to argue that The Second Apocalypse was full of humor?

I think they backed up their claim by listing all six jokes, more than one a book!

Hello people, long time lurker here.

I hated the idea of splitting TGO and TUC so I waited all these months for TUC release and now bought them both. I am in the middle of TGO and I ..just...feel.. exhausted. It is not that I forgot the details of what happened, I even read Wert's tome of previously on Earwa before starting to reag TGO. It's just that, everything is so blurry. I can not understand what the hell is going on half the time. And I'm not talking about the "philosophy stuff", just talking about the story itself. It takes me a lot of time to get even the simple stuff like "ohh that Nonman guy ripped the mask of Sorweel's face!". Call me dumb.

I really love the story and World building of this series, Ark, Inchroi, NonMen, Schools of Magic, No - God, Apocalpyse, characters. And I wish this story was gifted to a less clever guy than Scott. Call me shallow, I would really like to see a dumbed down version of TSA. ( not even D&B / Game of Thrones level dumbing down) It is not really enjoyable to check internet to make sure if I understand what happened in the pages I've just read.

I dread the things I won't understand in TUC and the feeling of emptiness when I'm finally done. Hopefully, Wert will add TUC to his Summary so Far when the next trilogy is close to relase so I will undertand the things I don't in the future.

Archived