Bakker L - Unholy Consultation and Collaboration (Now with TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Naw the gods aren't in the first series.

You don't think they are... then you do think they are... then you find out they never were.

Literary genius.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:03 PM, Kalbear said:

Nau-Cayuti's brain could complete the circuit for the No-God, is the extratextual explanation. This is especially confusing to me given that it is implied that the Anasurimbor bloodline is what matters - but Nau-Cayuti was actually Seswatha's, not Kelmomas'. 

Bakker said in the AMA that he intended it to be ambiguous as to the father of Nau-Cayuti. I think the text shows that Seswatha may have thought NC was his kid but he had no way to be sure. 

17 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Way to ignore the main point of my initial post about an adaptation, which, to reiterate, was:

How's it ignoring anything if I said do a Prince of Die Hard rather than cripple themes willy nilly? I said I like Die Hard.

that his gender depiction is the one thing so integral to the plot that changing it would reduce the series to "the latest Die Hard movie", then I just don't think we're going to be on the same page.

Reduced? OH, YOU don't like Die Hard. Ok. You're ignoring my main point, which involves liking the action movie.

Do an action movie or choose which themes from the book you engage.

Oh, and just to compile the issue - one thing I like in Die Hard 1 is how she gets the watch from the corporation - this represents her moving away from her husband to corporate life. Latter when the thief is holding onto her, only the watch keeps him there - she has to lose the watch in order to be saved. There's, like, a theme there...

I swear the Lit forum used to be more active before the show.  Threads didn't linger on the front page of this forum for over a week back in the day.  The traffic the forum gets is massive thanks to the show, but for some reason down here it hasn't actually led to very many new people - and many old people have long since disappeared.

10 minutes ago, Ajûrbkli said:

I swear the Lit forum used to be more active before the show.  Threads didn't linger on the front page of this forum for over a week back in the day.  The traffic the forum gets is massive thanks to the show, but for some reason down here it hasn't actually led to very many new people - and many old people have long since disappeared.

It's weird. I remember the first few seasons we'd get tons of new people in here but lately the what are you reading threads can barely make it to page 4. Hell most of the people Geroge thanked in ADWD have vanished.

9 hours ago, Hello World said:

Don't forget there is over 500 members on TSA...

This is why I said he should do a Patreon in a prior thread. He's got a small but devoted fanbase online, which he could probably monetize to some limited degree to help support him to the next book. 

54 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

It's weird. I remember the first few seasons we'd get tons of new people in here but lately the what are you reading threads can barely make it to page 4. Hell most of the people Geroge thanked in ADWD have vanished.

Life, time happens, I guess. In the case of the fl00b, it's because the show is so popular now that they don't need to hang out on pre-established forums for the series anymore. There's probably a shit-ton of dedicated Show Only Facebook groups, blogs, sub-reddits, and Youtube comment sections where they can hang out instead. 

1 hour ago, Ajûrbkli said:

Before the show, it was lot easier to have actual discussions about the books without being so swamped with new comments and threads such that it'd be hard to even track down where you last discussed things. The forum consensus on stuff could grow and change, too - whereas now it's like you're constantly having to re-argue everything over and over again if you try. 

There's a sweet spot in commenting when it comes to forums and blogs, when you've got maybe a couple dozen frequent posting regulars amidst the more casual crowd who stop by and might leave a comment or three. I guess we should be grateful the forums haven't been swamped with spam-posting and stupid self-promoting crap (although there was some of that back when the show first came out, particularly one case I remember). 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe it gain some live whenever Winds of Winter come out? 

Archived