Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
.H.

Bakker L - Unholy Consultation and Collaboration (Now with TUC Spoilers!)

424 posts in this topic

I had some of the same feelings with TGO as you did...not so much exhaustion but confusion.  I don't know if Bakker was just playing on the theme of madness, or if he just enjoys writing like that.  I want to know how much acid Bakker took while writing that lengthy Sorweel chapter.

Aside from that Sorweel chapter, I wasn't really sure what all happened at the very end.  I've started TUC and I guess I was just dumb while reading TGO, because my confusion at those parts doesn't seem to matter now.

20 minutes ago, Cuthbert Allgood said:

Call me shallow, I would really like to see a dumbed down version of TSA.

Very common sentiment.  I've always thought the First Apocalypse done straight - and without the excessively purple prose - would be a fun read.  Give the PoV to someone dumb like Nau-Cayuti who has 0 introspection and knows nothing about philosophy and just let it ride.   You could even switch to Seswatha after Nau-Cayuti dies and the No-God is summoned, since presumably, Seswatha is too occupied with saving humanity to wonder about the human condition all the time.

Verily, I hath returned from my self imposed exile. *cough*

Serious non troll question, has Bakker said anything about how he plans to get the next series published yet?

46 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Serious non troll question, has Bakker said anything about how he plans to get the next series published yet?

I just assumed he would have a room full of defectives copying it over in a monastery somewhere like pre-Guttenberg Bibles.  :dunno:

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I just assumed he would have a room full of defectives copying it over in a monastery somewhere like pre-Guttenberg Bibles.  :dunno:

... or Amazon. They take all.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

... or Amazon. They take all.

Honestly the Mechanical Turk program and a room full of defectives really isn't that far from the truth. 

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

He will query his "old publishers" sometime later. He also said that he won't mind to self publish if it came to that.

Posted (edited)

About a hundred pages in to TUC. Avoiding spoilers thus far, except for this teeensy little one where I found out the next series is called

Spoiler

The No-God.

So there's that...

Anyway, this may be a shallow observation, but does anyone else think Bakker looks legit as fuck in the new author photo? Looking at that next to his picture from TGO, he went from the guy in college you bought weed from, to the philosophy professor that your daughter is too enamored with for comfort.

EDIT: God fucking dammit, I thought this was the spoiler thread. Please tell me nobody saw that before I tagged it...

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

5 hours ago, redeagl said:

He also said that he won't mind to self publish if it came to that.

If that happens, were screwed, because he probably won't hire an editor. The book will be even bigger mess than TGO and TUC.

5 hours ago, Gronzag said:

If that happens, were screwed, because he probably won't hire an editor. The book will be even bigger mess than TGO and TUC.

I have the Overlook ARC and the Orbit UK published book. Both have the same typos. No editor looked at TGO and TUC.

35 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think he means Typos.

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:58 PM, lokisnow said:

I think they backed up their claim by listing all six jokes, more than one a book!

IS NOT JEST INFINITE?

Yeah I recall a joke between Xin and Kellhus about one of them having a big dick, and then later a joke about Achamian eating ass. Or maybe it was just normal oral sex and his beard got... in the way.

I try not to think about it.

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think he means Typos.

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

If the book didn't had a basic proofread,  it probably wasn't edited either. I think Bakker relied more on his beta readers with TGO&TUC.

On 24-8-2017 at 8:06 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Anyway, this may be a shallow observation, but does anyone else think Bakker looks legit as fuck in the new author photo? Looking at that next to his picture from TGO, he went from the guy in college you bought weed from, to the philosophy professor that your daughter is too enamored with for comfort.

Haha, saw that pic as well and thought he looked suave.

That's possibly a real problem right there. Beta readers != professional editors.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That's possibly a real problem right there. Beta readers != professional editors.

Even Beta readers should have been able to catch the myriad typos though.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Even Beta readers should have been able to catch the myriad typos though.

Some still slip through though. Especially if it's a draft that already contains lot's of typos and you're also on the lookout for structuring, grammatical, and plot errors. Typos are probably one of the hardest things to catch if you're not trained to look out for them. it's easy for the brain to just fall back on its own internal auto-correct.

What we're reading is more polished than whatever beta readers got to look at, so the typos probably seem more glaring and easy to catch.

General question about the series: Were Cnaiur and Proyas actually lovers at any point during TPoN trilogy? IIRC Proyas refers to Cnaiur's lips as "sensual" during the trip through the desert, and there are certain plenty of hints that Cnaiur was "warm for his form" so to speak. Was this mutual? Do we think anything ever happened between them?