DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

Get well soon to all the folks with Con lurgy! Keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t get it, but it’s early yet.

I had a fantastic time seeing everyone again and making many new friends! I waffle back and forth about NZ, it’s damned expensive. Maybe NASFiC? But Trump will still be prez...

7 hours ago, Peadar said:

Some of you, I didn't see at all or saw speeding by in the distance. One of these, I'm pretty sure was @lady narcissa, but she was wearing sunglasses and didn't seem to recognise me, so I thought, no bother, I'll see her later on. Never happened and there were others too, I told I'd have coffee with and I never did. Sorry for that.

Nooooooooo, like two ships passing in the night! I totally did not see you...if it was me and not my doppelganger.  I did see you - you walked right past me in your panel with GRRM on Monday but you were talking to one of your co-panelists and I did not want to interrupt as I was sure I'd still see you yet and alas did not.

Actually this whole Worldcon was like the Where's Waldo Con for me.  There were entire days I did not see anyone from the board at Worldcon.  As such I want to thank @boiled leather and Red Woman (his fabulous spouse whose board name I seem to be incapable of @ summoning) for organizing a group dinner and letting everyone know about it so I at least did see some people.  And then also thanks to them and @Cuellar for putting together the dinner on Monday and letting us know about it here.

And thanks to @Padraig for airport advice and good dinner conversation.

I had a great time in Ireland despite not seeing people from the board!  Lots of good panels attended and lots of excellent sightseeing.  And can I just say how incredibly envious I am of the bookstores in Ireland?!?!  I wanted to pack them up and take them home with me because I would just kill for one of them here.  But from Galway to Dublin, it was only most excellent bookstores and many great books found.

3 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I had a great time in Ireland despite not seeing people from the board!  Lots of good panels attended and lots of excellent sightseeing.  And can I just say how incredibly envious I am of the bookstores in Ireland?!?!  I wanted to pack them up and take them home with me because I would just kill for one of them here.  But from Galway to Dublin, it was only most excellent bookstores and many great books found.

We *do* have some fine bookstores :) 

I must remember that for next time.  Post more info on meet-ups here.  GRRM does less panels these days, so we can't depend on those for natural meetups.  And normally we have the trusty bar in the con hotel as a fall back plan but that wasn't an option in Dublin.

Anyhow, great to see you Lady N!

3 minutes ago, Padraig said:

I must remember that for next time.  Post more info on meet-ups here.  GRRM does less panels these days, so we can't depend on those for natural meetups.  And normally we have the trusty bar in the con hotel as a fall back plan but that wasn't an option in Dublin.

I think Martin's Bar would have worked, but I think a lot of people missed it. It was actually surprisingly comfy and spacious, would have been a great place to actually socialize, but so it goes!

Martin's Bar lacked sufficient seating but was otherwise nice. We did congregate somewhat in the "extended Martin's Bar" area during the Dead Dog. Some people were using the adjacentish hotel bar as a con bar as well.

It feels weird to be back home. Two weeks of conventioning was great fun! It was an unforgettable experience. So great to see you all!

As for what the future holds, in particular for Titancon, who knows? We should strive to keep the BwB active in the UK and Ireland, anyway.

12 hours ago, Ran said:

I think Martin's Bar would have worked, but I think a lot of people missed it. It was actually surprisingly comfy and spacious, would have been a great place to actually socialize, but so it goes!

The Spencer Hotel next door had a huge bar right next to the front door and seemed to be the natural con hotel (bumped into Scalzi, Rothfuss and Lindsay Ellis in the bar there).

Will have to remember that for the next Irish WorldCon in ~10 years!

Archived