Does Dany Listen to her Council?

Pandean

I'm wondering. It seems like Dany, while she has some very smart people on her council, hasn't really been taking their advice as late. I don't know if it's just me or maybe she'll show more of that in episode 6 but currently it feels like Dany doesn't necessarily listen--especially when they say something she doesn't agree with.

I can understand it--she seems very frustrated. But at the same time, looking back on the series over how many times she's not truly taken things to heart, I'm not sure if this is a pattern or not.

What say you? Obvs, I could be wrong.

She quite clearly does listen to her council. Shes listened to Tyrion pretty much all of what we have seen so far in season 7. 

Personally everyone wants her to become the Mad Queen and replicate her father, this could be a basis of why everyone portrays her actions in parallel with her father. 

She does listen but she also knows when she needs to decide for herself and when things are not working. 

I agree with Samwell.

She does listen but that doesn't mean she always does what they advise.

Part of her story is the display of her being a conqueror more so than a ruler.  Daario even mentions this flat out to her.

Dany has a good heart (mentioned numerous times) and she wants to be a just, fair ruler but she also has a tendency to be a little entitled and to be overly harsh to those who oppose her.  It makes her a more interesting character.

The key for Dany is having somebody she truly respects and with Jorah gone so long that hurt her a little imo.  Now with Jon and Jorah in the fold she will be more steady and restrain herself a little more.  I think if Jorah or Jon had been there advising her not to burn them then she would have been more inclined to not only listen (she did listen to Tyrion) but to also accept the advise.

Dany is a great character.  Love her.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I am not exactly a fan of Daenerys (or Jon for that matter) but in this case I agree with @Samwell_Tarly.  Dany listened to her council in all matters except for the loot train attack, and even then she moderated her approach by doing that rather than taking Kings Landing based on her council and Jon's advice.  She is letting Jon mine dragonglass, she is supporting Tyrion's armistice/wight hunt plan.  She is actually pretty reasonable in this regard.  In S2 and S3 I think she did a lot less listening but gradually has done more, and has listened pretty much the whole time this year.

While I'm of the opinion that a monarch that's supposed to be a protagonist shouldn't need advisors telling her, "Maybe you shouldn't do evil things if you don't want people to think you're evil," she has listened most of the time this season. The only time she really blatantly dismissed the advice of her counsel was with the execution of the Tarlys. The rest of the season she has let Tyrion change or moderate her approach to problems.

She has always take the counsel of her advisors with a grain of salt. Back in season two Jorah wanted to go to Asshai and she wouldn't.  Jorah and Selmy wanted her to go to Pentos, she didn't.  Jorah and Selmy wanted her not to give Drogon for the Unsullied, she went her own way.  They wanted her to leave for Westeros when the slave cities were in uprisings...she chose to stay and "be queen".  Jorah and Daario wanted her to leave Vaes Dothrak, she refused.  Many examples of her listening but choosing a different path.  There are plenty of examples when she heeded their advice as well...but she has never been one to always follow those smart folks around her....and that has paid off for her more often than not in the past.

she usually listens and this season that has come back to bite her. The whole reason they lost yara,dorne,and the reach is because they followed tyrions plan. She didn't attack kings landing because jon advised her not to. Yes she went after the lannister army with her dragons but that wasn't burning down a city which is what jon advised against. Ironically most of the time she takes her councils advice it comes back to bite her. And I said most not all

Archived