THE Drogon CG Appreciation Thread!

Iron Mother

In this world of unending Computer-Generated things, people and creatures, Drogon and the other dragons of GOT are quite spectacular.  Drogon is the most real, believable, palpable and amazing representation of any dragon I have ever seen..... maybe any CG creature I've ever seen.  I must give proper UPs to those hard at work to make him look so cool and real.  Not to mention the audio.  His screech and roar is so good, it reminds of when I saw Jurassic Park for the first time and heard the T-Rex.  It's a sound that stays with you and is exotic and just unique.

Give it up for Drogon!  We watched him from a hatchling grow into the beast he is now.

Dracarys :D

1 hour ago, ShadowKitteh said:

They're brilliant. Every week I can't get over that this is a TV SHOW, when it feels like I'm watching a blockbuster film every Sunday.

thats what im talking about the CGI for the dragons is amazing.  better than most movies!

57 minutes ago, Col Cinders said:

Sméagol was very good too.  I rank him higher because of the sync'd dialogue and closeups.

I agree that Drogon is the best CGI monster/dragon so far.

Sméagol is a whole different kind of CG.  That was Motion Capture.  You may see it now in movies like Star Wars or the Marvel stuff where people were those dots on their face and body.  It's an actual person playing the role.... their facial movements and "emotion" that makes it look way more "real" than just plain CGI.  Their face and expressions are then interlaced with the computer generation to make a hybrid like Sméagol that looks so real.  That could never be done with straight up computer animation.  These days, if you see a human or semi-human face (even if the animation is an animal or a bug) it is done with Motion Cap.  Usually, the actor behind the motion cap does do the dialogue as well.  So it is like a human character actor with dialogue and then they layer CG onto it.

Archived