How fast does a raven fly?

Kimbono

I'm not sure if it was discussed before but is there some data to how fast a raven can transport a message? I googled a bit and found a german site here about a homeing pigeon traveling 80 km/h up to 120 km/h with good wind... with the wall being around 300 miles (480km) long I could approximate the top time a raven could fly (maybe with a warg powering him up for the time) but giving the distances (for example old town - Wall atleast 5000km) it would take atleast 2-3 days. Someone has an Idea how often a bird needs a break ect. just wondering (in the light of the show "teleporting" people around :P).

And maybe adding to this, how fast could Dany fly on her Dragon. Some arguments for being it faster / slower, nearly the same?

Greetings!

I will give you the answer used by the producers of a TV-series space opera - "they fly at the speed of plot" :D

Do not try to make too much sense of travel speeds and times as some of the stuff which happens in the books cannot be explained by anything other than "magic".

9 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Are we talking African raven or European raven?

Thank you for making me spray my monitor with the liquid I was ingesting.

Through my nose.

The spraying, not the ingesting :)

I understand that the messages are attached to the bird's leg using a jungle creeper?

35 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Are we talking African raven or European raven?

Westerosi Ravens, where of course the big white ravens for winter are faster at day and the black ones faster at night. :P And I know there is no logic to the show, I askes in the book forums just for interest / fun . Could have been we have an indicator in the text where Person A sent a Raven and in the next Chapter Person B got it and we can puzzle together how much time there was apart.

It's unclear how fast dragons can fly and what kind of endurance they have. Although I seem to remember something about somebody flying a dragon from Essos to Westeros non-stop. Or maybe it was the other way around. Dunno where that would've been mentioned, though. Probably the World book.

At any rate, in most fantasy I can think of dragons are usually both as fast or faster in flight than most birds and have incredible endurance.

So, I'd venture that a Dragon could get you somewhere in a shorter flight time than a Raven, if you know where you're going, and that the Dragon will require less non-flight time to rest during the same transit than the Raven.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:38 AM, TMIFairy said:

I will give you the answer used by the producers of a TV-series space opera - "they fly at the speed of plot" :D

Do not try to make too much sense of travel speeds and times as some of the stuff which happens in the books cannot be explained by anything other than "magic".

This^^

I guess we should also take into consideration if the ravens are loaded or unloaded and if a raven can carry a coconut.

- Sorry, OP, just couldn't resists :D

Archived