Terrorist Attack In Barcelona

Mr. Chatywin et al.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I remember the good old days when terror attacks used to generate some interest. Fucking awful that this thread is so late/short. 

In a purely pragmatic sense, it's not bad news at all. Terrorists aren't in it for the money. 

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I remember the good old days when terror attacks used to generate some interest. Fucking awful that this thread is so late/short. 

Yeah that's why I made it. I was shocked there wasn't already one. I will say that it's a good thing that people aren't running around with their hair on fire, but the total indifference is a step too far.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah that's why I made it. I was shocked there wasn't already one. I will say that it's a good thing that people aren't running around with their hair on fire, but the total indifference is a step too far.

This is the new normal. That's the most terrifying thing about these attacks.

Here there's everything:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/aug/17/barcelona-attack-van-driven-into-crowd-in-las-ramblas-district

This now looks like a coordinated attempt to carry out attacks in several parts of Catalonia, with tourists as a target.

Five other people are reported – though this is not yet confirmed – to have been injured on the seafront Paseo Maritimo in the Cambrils attack, allegedly by the suspected terrorists who were then shot by police.

Police now say that an explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar Platja on Thursday morning, killing one person and injuring several more, is also linked to the attack.

The explosion was initially thought to be caused by the accidental explosion of a gas bottle.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lack of a thread =/= 'total indifference'. There are lots of tragedies, deaths, attacks that people here care greatly about but don't feel the need to start a thread on this board to discuss.

That said, there's no doubt that the tactic of vehicle attacks on crowds, as it happens more often, loses some of the impact that it had. That does not mean people feel any less pain over the deaths. It just means that the shock of seeing something the tenth or eleventh time is less, because that's how human brains work.

It's simply horrible, with or without a thread to discuss it :( I hate to think this is "the new normal", but here we are. As someone who experienced the Brussels attacks last year, I'm fully aware these things can happen anytime, anywhere, and to anyone.

Not having a thread about it, or having a smaller thread, does not mean that one cares less. My heart goes out to all the people affected and if we have anyone in the forum (directly or indirectly) affected by what happened in Spain, or in the US, or anywhere else in the world in need to talk, please feel free to message me. I know I sure did last year.

[mod] Folks, one thing we will not be doing is having a thread not to discuss the attacks, but to discuss how this board reacts to the attacks and how it ought to react and what biases this reveals and all that other navel-gazing bullshit. OK? [/mod]

18 hours ago, Batbob45 said:

When I heard it on BBC World News, I was not surprise(this year have been  the year that spineless terrorist attack europe).

Yes, the last couple of years, actually; but this one in particular.

They had more than one hundred butane gass bottles to use as explosives, but they exploded in the appartment where they were planning everything, killing two or three of the 12 terrorists involved. The driver has not been found yet, but they think who he is, and there is a manhunt across Europe.

It seems the police have shot and probably killed (although that's not been confirmed yet) the man suspected of being the driver in the initial attack. He also apparently high jacked a car and killed the driver making his initial escape.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It seems the police have shot and probably killed (although that's not been confirmed yet) the man suspected of being the driver in the initial attack. He also apparently high jacked a car and killed the driver making his initial escape.

Yep. He killed a young man to use his car, he abandoned the car later and escaped for a few days  So 14 victims in Barcelona. Today a neighbor from a catalan town told the police he/she had identified him and later he was killed by the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/21/police-searching-barcelona-van-driver-shoot-man

Archived