lady narcissa

Worldcon San Jose, California: August 16-20, 2018

18 posts in this topic

I'm planning to be there!

I'm planning to get a ticket, and hoping to make it!

Hmm... never done any con before and this one's in my backyard so may need to give it a shot.

YES, YES YOU DO. 

I mean, holy shit. When was the last time we saw each other, my friend? 2008?

Posted (edited)

I'll be there for sure.  Debating on which hotel to book. Probably the Marriott, since I've stayed there a bunch of times, and it is closer walking distance to the Fairmont. 

Fairmont looks like a kick ass party location. We better score one of the poolside suites! It'll be just like LA.   I'd consider staying there, but it will suck to keep walking back and forth, plus the rate will probably be crazy. 

I'll probably be driving up from LA on Wednesday.  If anyone ends up needing a lift (either if it is cheaper to fly into LAX or you are from LA), we can coordinate closer to the date.  Will give us a big car to drive around town if need be. 

Edited by Cuellar

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Cuellar said:

Fairmont looks like a kick ass party location. We better score one of the poolside suites! It'll be just like LA.   I'd consider staying there, but it will suck to keep walking back and forth, plus the rate will probably be crazy.

I was curious so I looked.  The standard room seems to be in the $400 - $600 range.  I can't imagine what the suites would go for.  Seems odd to have the parties in such a high end hotel.  And even odder since it isn't one of the hotels that is listed as being one with room blocks.

18 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I was curious so I looked.  The standard room seems to be in the $400 - $600 range.  I can't imagine what the suites would go for.  Seems odd to have the parties in such a high end hotel.  And even odder since it isn't one of the hotels that is listed as being one with room blocks.

Ah, but those are rack rates. Convention rates are much lower: "Standard rooms are $199 Single-Double/$224 Triple/$249 Quad Occupancy. Deluxe (larger) rooms are $239 Single-Double/$264 Triple/$289 Quad occupancy. Fairmont one-bedroom suites (bedroom plus a standard parlor) are $339. Note that suite reservations for parties will be administered by Worldcon 76."

Convention rates for all hotels, btw, can be found here: http://www.worldcon76.org/travel-lodging/hotels

2 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Ah, but those are rack rates.

They've added that since I last looked at the consite.  They only had the Fairmont listed as the party hotel, not as one having rooms for the con.

Yeah they just added that.    I might stay at the fairmont at that rate, but don't really want to shlep back and forth from the convention center.

If a bunch of people want to book rooms at fairmont, I'd be game to stay there.  I always like meeting up with people in the lobby, so am a fan of designating a hotel for the BwB!

Note:  If you have SPG Gold (IE from AMEX Platinum) you can get Marriott gold, and land free breakfast in the lounge at the Marriott.  

Edited by Cuellar
more info

I might prefer to walk the block or two to the convention center during the day so as to be in the party hotel and not have to go outside at night.

I'll be there.  I want to stay at the Fairmont.  We still don't have our academic calendar for next year, sooooo not sure yet when I'm coming / going.  

My wife's coming, so we may opt for the Fairmont as well.  So that's 3 votes for Fairmont, none for anything else!

I'm actually flying from England to LA then driving to the con the next day, so I'll probably be quite the mess.