Dorne, Prince Oberyn, and Aegon/Dani

Azai

I want to know how involved with the last Targaryen's Doran Martell and his family are, and by extension Dorne

Mostly on how much does Prince Oberyn know. Does he know about Aegon? About the marriage pact/offer?  Do they know Varys is an ally? Is Varys clueing them in on the whole matter, or is Doran getting his own sources? (It has been a year or two since I read the books so I am a little hazy on things.)

It was Oberyn who signed the pact. My opinion is that there is good chance it was Doran who knew nothing about it at the time.

As for the rest it is anybody's guess. It would make sense for Varys to be in contact with Doran, as he has been grooming his Aegon to sit on the throne and counting on his alleged uncle would be neccessary. After all they had to have known about the plot to kill Trystane from somewhere.

Though I think that particular information could only have come from somewhere. There are no spy tunnels in Maegor's keep and Cersei kept that pretty close to the chest. She says in her POV that Taena knew about Swan's mission and it is seems likely they would only have discussed that in private. Which means either that Taena is Doran's agent or Varys. As Varys works with exiles, it would fit.

If Doran had no idea about a pact then it's not much of a pact. It would be insulting and treasonous to sign a pact on behalf of Dorne without Doran's knowledge, and twice as bad to sign away his daughter that way.

While Doran was in the Water Gardens he had Oberyn running things, and he sent him to King's Landing because he trusted him. I don't think he'd do that if Oberyn was making secret pacts he had no business making.

8 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

If Doran had no idea about a pact then it's not much of a pact. It would be insulting and treasonous to sign a pact on behalf of Dorne without Doran's knowledge, and twice as bad to sign away his daughter that way.

Agreed. And yet Oberyn championed Tyrion, and was prepared to offer him sanctuary along with Sansa and crown Myrcella, all without Doran's knowledge or approval. We know the last part is true, because Doran had Arianne arrested when she tried to pull it of herself. He did something like this in the current timeline; whose to say he hadn't tried it before.

And the result would have been similar. It would have forced Doran's hand.

11 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

While Doran was in the Water Gardens he had Oberyn running things, and he sent him to King's Landing because he trusted him. I don't think he'd do that if Oberyn was making secret pacts he had no business making.

Are you sure it was because he trusted him? Or maybe, because he had little choice in the thread? Doran is hanging on in power in Dorne by a thread, while Oberyn is popular. It looks like Oberyn could supplant Doran any time he wanted.

While we're at it, why on earth would Dorne want a Targaryen restoration? Both Aerys and Rhaegar treated Dorne appalingly. The latter first run off with another woman and the former used Elia as a hostage. And to defend them, Lewyn Martel and who knows how many Dornishmen died. While Tywin did the deed, Aerys and Rhaegar share no small amount of responsibility for Elia's fate.

Archived