If You Could Change History

GAROVORKIN

19 hours ago, Einheri said:

Risky. I mean aren’t most of W. Europe descended from that guy?

I remember seeing on the TV-show QI once, so it must be true aha! Then again, had it not been his sperm that did the job, it'd have been someone else.

I don't know what I would change. I suppose I would undo a lot of the mess the western forces made in the Middle East that helped to destabilise the region.

Either that or I would have taken my first two years of university more seriously.

I'd do nothing at all. F*** I'd be scared to death of making the world even worse. How do we know that without Hitler someone even worse wouldn't have risen to power and actually succeeded where Hitler failed for instance?
Y'all are crazy to even think about this shit. :P

3 hours ago, Faera said:

I remember seeing on the TV-show QI once, so it must be true aha! Then again, had it not been his sperm that did the job, it'd have been someone else.

That's true, but then it's also possible that you and I might not even be having this conversation. :)

8 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'd do nothing at all. F*** I'd be scared to death of making the world even worse. How do we know that without Hitler someone even worse wouldn't have risen to power and actually succeeded where Hitler failed for instance?
Y'all are crazy to even think about this shit. :P

If you have not read Fry's "Making History", you should! Hail Gloder!

19 minutes ago, Feologild said:

I would not change anything, because you could not know how the change would turn out you could just as well make the world far worse.

That same argument applies to doing anything and with the same validity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 6:20 PM, maarsen said:

It seems that WWI is a focal point or cusp and affects all that came after. The world did have zero long respite from major wars since the defeat over Napoleon.  Warfare did not advance much as shown by the US Civil War. Give the British government plans for a battle tank around 1910 as an answer to the machine gun and end the stalemate that took so many lives. To be on the safe side,  have people infected with the Spanish flu visit the Schickelgruber household. Tell them not to wash their hands when doing so. Snot helps protect young Adolph. 

It still took britain a while to figure out the new tank paradigm but if you explain that too..

On 8/31/2017 at 7:12 PM, GAROVORKIN said:

Balkanizing Germany would had consequences as well.

Given the fact that Germany had previously been united prior to the Treaty.  do you seriously think Germany and its people  would have stayed disunited ? 

Well for 50 years or so.  I grew up in the 80s...

All of this being said I think ww2 could have been one of the easiest catastrophes to avoid w hindsight.  Either explain to Chamberlain and the French govt in about 36 what was comimg or just cap Adolph in the twenties.  While there are a lot of things in history that would have happened regardless I think almost any other form of German nationalism would have been less vile with a different leader.

How could I forget this: I'd also get rid of the Federal Reserve. (There were reasons why Andrew Jackson and Lincoln opposed national banks.) The French also dismantled their national bank before the Napoleonic Wars. The wars of the 19th and early 20th centuries were pretty much pretexts to the global establishment of central banks. (If you don't believe, follow the timeline.)

On 10/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, Weeping Sore said:

I would go back to cull chimp-related hominids and give advantages to bonobo-related hominids. Then our modern societies would all be matriarchal sex-communes.

But humans relationship to chimps and bonobos is basically the same. Chimp and Bonobo related hominids did have the advantage. With how closely related chimps and bonobos are it would be pretty much impossible to give an advantage to an animal that was only related to one.

Archived