GAROVORKIN

If You Could Change History

229 posts in this topic

I would prevent the Democrats from creating the Confederacy(It would prevent a lot of things that happened this year)

Stop  Daredevil movie and Batman and Robin from getting made.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 11:02 AM, maarsen said:

One thing I would do would be to translate into English the journals of Gerrit Metzon. His description of being a slave in Algiers opened people's eyes as to the horrors of slavery because he was white.

Wasn’t this about religion, though? Christian’s vs Muslim’s?

Slaves in Barbary fell into two broad categories. The 'public slaves' belonged to the ruling pasha, who by right of rulership could claim an eighth of all Christians captured by the corsairs, and buy all the others he wanted at reduced prices. These slaves were housed in large prisons known as baños (baths), often in wretchedly overcrowded conditions. They were mostly used to row the corsair galleys in the pursuit of loot (and more slaves) - work so strenuous that thousands died or went mad while chained to the oar.

Gerrit Metzon I had not heard of until you mentioned the name. Algiers piracy I had heard of. What nationality was Metzon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I would tell Obama to take it easy on Trump at that White House correspondents dinner.

How about ensuring that Donnie Two Scoops lost his own personal Vietnam? I suppose that could backfire though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How about ensuring that Donnie Two Scoops lost his own personal Vietnam? I suppose that could backfire though.

Nah, not sure how to arrange that - and/or wouldn't want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go back 2000 years and teach people of the Americas about mining, metalwork, hygiene, etc.

Edited by TrueMetis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tell Emperor Claudius of Agrippina's plot to poison him and the what a monster here son  Nero would become if named Emperor  I would tell about the Nero would kill his son Britanicus and would severely damage the Empire.   I would tell him what eventual fate of the Roman Empire would be advise  him take steps to shore it like building creating a public education system, building libraries and to encourage industry and innovation. Introduce the  printing press .  I tell him to  have printed  as many copies of his  historical works as possible in particular his history of the Etruscan people and the language key.  I would also tell him about he Americas, Greenland , Iceland.  and Australia. I would advise him not enslave any of the inhabitants , In fact I would try to convince him to do away with slavery in the empire . In addition I would advise him to set a mechanism for succession to prevent future problem and would also tell him to gave mere power and responsibility to the Roman Senate  and would tell him the advantages on an independent  judiciary and a written constitution , whether  he agrees with such notion is hard to gage. I  would also tell him to expand further  into  the middle east and in particular, bring the Arabian peninsula under Rome's control. I would also tell him about oil and it's potential and importance for the future. 

Yes, I would try to save Rome and try to stop the dark ages from happening.

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Wasn’t this about religion, though? Christian’s vs Muslim’s?

Slaves in Barbary fell into two broad categories. The 'public slaves' belonged to the ruling pasha, who by right of rulership could claim an eighth of all Christians captured by the corsairs, and buy all the others he wanted at reduced prices. These slaves were housed in large prisons known as baños (baths), often in wretchedly overcrowded conditions. They were mostly used to row the corsair galleys in the pursuit of loot (and more slaves) - work so strenuous that thousands died or went mad while chained to the oar.

 

Gerrit Metzon I had not heard of until you mentioned the name. Algiers piracy I had heard of. What nationality was Metzon?

He was from the Netherlands. Check him out on Wikipedia.  Lots of info there. His journal of his time as a slave was published after he was released when the British bombarded Algiers. My grandmother once owned the original journal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I'd knock off Edison and let Tesla get his rightful glory.

 

 

Tesla did. Who uses DC motors now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Tesla did. Who uses DC motors now? 

Eddison had alot of money invested in DC and didn't want Rival AC to become the dominant means of power transmission.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have told Teddy Roosevelt not  to run  against  Taft in the 1912 election. That  by doing  so he cost the Republicans the White and would  allow Woodrow Wilson to become president.

 

I would've told President  Franklin Roosevelt  to give the passengers  on the SS St Louis asylum  and what would be their fate if he didn't do so. 

 

 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2017 at 11:19 PM, TrueMetis said:

Go back 2000 years and teach people of the Americas about mining, metalwork, hygiene, etc.

Its a nice idea,  but might consider  going to the Mayan civilization and teaching them all of those things , plus Modern faming techniques and introduce them to the Horse and chariot , Gun power , gun and cannon manufacturing , ship building too.  By the time Europeans arrived Centuries later , The Mayas would be be strong enough  to hold them at bay  and maybe even prevent them from  gaining a toehold in the Americas .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Its a nice idea,  but might consider  going to the Mayan civilization and teaching them all of those things , plus Modern faming techniques and introduce them to the Horse and chariot , Gun power , gun and cannon manufacturing , ship building too.  By the time Europeans arrived Centuries later , The Mayas would be be strong enough  to hold them at bay  and maybe even prevent them from  gaining a toehold in the Americas .

That was more or less the plot of an interesting Orson Scott Card book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Its a nice idea,  but might consider  going to the Mayan civilization and teaching them all of those things , plus Modern faming techniques and introduce them to the Horse and chariot , Gun power , gun and cannon manufacturing , ship building too.  By the time Europeans arrived Centuries later , The Mayas would be be strong enough  to hold them at bay  and maybe even prevent them from  gaining a toehold in the Americas .

Personally I'd rather domesticate the bison or caribou but that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TrueMetis said:

Personally I'd rather domesticate the bison or caribou but that's just me.

That's an interesting idea .:cool4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That was more or less the plot of an interesting Orson Scott Card book. 

Really ? Im going to look for that one. :cool4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Really ? Im going to look for that one. :cool4:

Yeah, it's titled Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. It starts a bit slow, but once it picks up it's pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it's titled Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. It starts a bit slow, but once it picks up it's pretty good.

Thanks.:cool4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now