UK/ Ireland/ Euro meet in April / May?

zakalwe7

Argh, Oxford would be great! Lovely city, and I could come over and drive my wonderful car there :love:

But I must say, that if we have a big meet in Europe in April im afraid that too few people will afford to make it to Copenhagen in September :huh: :cry:

Hi all I'm new (waves) and I live in York so if you do decide to come here i could help you out with infomation, travel, places to see, best places to eat, pubs and clubs etc.

Ease of travel wise its only 15 mins on a train from Leeds (where ther is an airport) to York (1 hour by bus). York is the major railway hub on the east coast mainline so that works and being a tourist city it has loads of hotels.

Hi Ratty! Always good to meet a n00b :D I agree that York is alot easier to get to than people seem to be assuming and it always helps to have someone on the ground - although I don't think you know what you're letting yourself in for by volunteering :/ .

Looks like we're heading towards a York or Oxford meet. Whilst I really like Oxford, I'm far less likely to be able to make it there - York is a much more doable option for me... but then I can't guarantee either so ignore my ramblings :rolleyes:

Hello Ratty!

Looks like it's between York, Oxford and Cardiff now.

The memories of Aprils in Yorkshire make me shudder still though. I'd rather not. Admittedly I lived up on the moors (think Emmerdale), but I clearly remember late snows in May even :P Still, York is pretty enough.

I think my accent will pass in Cardiff :lol: , unlike some. And I could nearly pick up the Dublin posters and drive everyone there :D (If I get the time off)

Oxford still pwns though. Plus the year after there's always Cambridge to check out for comparison :D

Edinburgh is only two and a half hours from York

:lol::rofl::lol:

they are telling porkie pies!

...its never taken me less than 5 hours to get from Leuchars to York (Leuchars is about an hour north of Edinburgh).

That aside, its a superb city to visit (strong praise indeed, coming from a Lancastrian!) with lots to do and a great atmosphere... I've never paid more than I would in Edinburgh for a pint, so don't worry about the prices.

:lol::rofl::lol:

they are telling porkie pies!

...its never taken me less than 5 hours to get from Leuchars to York (Leuchars is about an hour north of Edinburgh).

That aside, its a superb city to visit (strong praise indeed, coming from a Lancastrian!) with lots to do and a great atmosphere... I've never paid more than I would in Edinburgh for a pint, so don't worry about the prices.

Um - it only took me 2.5 hours to get to York from Edinburgh... did you take the milk train? ;) 2.5 hours is just long enough to eat something and get a decent bit of kip before hitting the town :D

I had a look at getting to York using this Journey Planner. Leeds airport is around 1hr20mins away it seems (by bus and then by train). Going from Leeds city to York is a lot quicker but you have to get from the airport to the city centre first.

What's the quickest way to get to Oxford? The link above suggests 2.5 hours from Stansted. Ihr50mins from Heathrow. While Cardiff is around 2hrs away from Bristol airport (although it has its own airport too).

They are not very close but not too bad. :)

Edited to fix link

I had a look at getting to York using this Journey Planner. Leeds airport is around 1hr20mins away it seems (by bus and then by train). Going from Leeds city to York is a lot quicker but you have to get from the airport to the city centre first.

What's the quickest way to get to Oxford? The link above suggests 2.5 hours from Stansted. Ihr50mins from Heathrow. While Cardiff is around 2hrs away from Bristol airport (although it has its own airport too).

They are not very close but not too bad. :)

Heathrow to Oxford must be about an hour, max. I live in between the two in a 'not if you draw a straight line' way and it takes me fifteen minutes to Heathrow and 40 to Oxford.

Stansted sounds about right though, it is the far side of London from Oxford.

Anywhere is fine by me.

Right, it seems that the barriers to a York meet are being broken down to some degree. I think that both York and Oxford would both be perfect places for a BwB meet.

Both are gorgeous, historic, friendly and interesting places.

York would still be my preference but I think Oxford will be great too.

If I still have a car by April (doubtful by the sounds its making at the moment) I have no problem driving to either York or Oxford and picking up a few peeps from London airports.

Is there that much support for Cardiff or can we go ahead and do a straight two way vote between York and Oxford (still wouldn\'t mind Newcastle though :P)?

Any thoughts or am I jumping the gun?

P.S. Can\'t believe nobody has mentioned Coventry, Blackburn or Sheffield!!!!

Right, it seems that the barriers to a York meet are being broken down to some degree. I think that both York and Oxford would both be perfect places for a BwB meet.

Both are gorgeous, historic, friendly and interesting places.

York would still be my preference but I think Oxford will be great too.

If I still have a car by April (doubtful by the sounds its making at the moment) I have no problem driving to either York or Oxford and picking up a few peeps from London airports.

Is there that much support for Cardiff or can we go ahead and do a straight two way vote between York and Oxford (still wouldn\'t mind Newcastle though :P)?

Any thoughts or am I jumping the gun?

P.S. Can\'t believe nobody has mentioned Coventry, Blackburn or Sheffield!!!!

Well, I think just go for those two.

I mean, it's a choice between Oxford: posh southern totty historic and beautiful or York: posh Yorkshire totty historic and beautiful

I've only been to Oxford once (screwed up my interview :cry: ), it was brilliant, and i'd love to go there again. But does anyone know anywhere reasonably cheap to stay?

I've never been to York, but always wanted to, so that also sounds good.

Bath is a very nice city and local to me, and also has a St. Christophers hostel. But there's less touristy stuff to do than you'd think, and I don't know it well enough to feel confident guiding people around the best places. And it's a bit expensive.

But we could always get the train to Bristol to watch a decent rugby match. :P

I've only been to Oxford once (screwed up my interview :cry: ), it was brilliant, and i'd love to go there again. But does anyone know anywhere reasonably cheap to stay?

I've never been to York, but always wanted to, so that also sounds good.

Bath is a very nice city and local to me, and also has a St. Christophers hostel. But there's less touristy stuff to do than you'd think, and I don't know it well enough to feel confident guiding people around the best places. And it's a bit expensive.

But we could always get the train to Bristol to watch a decent rugby match. :P

There's a big hostel (Central Backpackers) at £14 a night, with something like 89% positive rating (they boast 24 hours hot water and no curfew, lockers in dorm and washing machines if you ever shit yourself, maybe :lol:eta: "Central Backpackers is conveniently situated right downtown in historic Oxford’s city centre on Park End Street; this being one of Oxford’s liveliest streets; lined with 11 bars, 3 clubs and 12 restaurants". Park End is dead centre). There is a (not central? :P ) Backpacker's Hostel too, at £11.50, but the rating is significantly lower.

This is website info and not actually booked and tested.

Allowing for dubious advertising, it can't be more than £20 at worst.

There's always Bristol.

Got an airport and easy to get to by train from within the UK, great nightlife, close to Bath and the coast, cute West Country chicks friendly locals

There's always Bristol.

Got an airport and easy to get to by train from within the UK, great nightlife, close to Bath and the coast, cute West Country chicks friendly locals

I'm beginning to spot a rampant horn trend in your posts V.

There's a big hostel (Central Backpackers) at £14 a night, with something like 89% positive rating (they boast 24 hours hot water and no curfew, lockers in dorm and washing machines if you ever shit yourself, maybe :lol:eta: "Central Backpackers is conveniently situated right downtown in historic Oxford’s city centre on Park End Street; this being one of Oxford’s liveliest streets; lined with 11 bars, 3 clubs and 12 restaurants". Park End is dead centre). There is a (not central? :P ) Backpacker's Hostel too, at £11.50, but the rating is significantly lower.

This is website info and not actually booked and tested.

Allowing for dubious advertising, it can't be more than £20 at worst.

That sounds good. :)

Um - it only took me 2.5 hours to get to York from Edinburgh... did you take the milk train? ;) 2.5 hours is just long enough to eat something and get a decent bit of kip before hitting the town :D

I was on a train that went through both York and Edinburgh today, I reckon it was about 2 and a half hours between them.

Liverpool would be great for me. But I'm up for Bristol, Oxford, Cardiff or York. And obviously London. Norwich is a horrid place. Rochester isn't that big a place and there isn't all that much to do there. The end.

Archived