UK/ Ireland/ Euro meet in April / May?

zakalwe7

Oxford or York, am not fussed. Can we talk about dates soon so's I can book the requisite time off from work. April/May shouldn't cause too much bother cause of the way the conferences fall, but still need to make sure...

(Is emo about the fact that the historic city of Rochester [with or without cathedral] has been completely passed by the wayside)

N

Bath is a very nice city and local to me, and also has a St. Christophers hostel. But there's less touristy stuff to do than you'd think, and I don't know it well enough to feel confident guiding people around the best places. And it's a bit expensive.

But we could always get the train to Bristol to watch a decent rugby match.

nah. needle lives there, and i've been down there a couple of times in the last few months. somewhere else would be cool

Oxford or York sounds good with me. Would be handy to check the accomodation before making a decision. Self-catering accomodation could be cooler than a hostel - partic cos it means not dealing with beds. Dublin was amazing for that - just cramming us all in rather than worrying who was in which room. We could get a good self-catering place and then anyone who wanted to could stay at local hotels or hostels and we'd use that place as a base (and for a party place?)

Yes, self-catering would be a nice option. :)

Heathrow to Oxford must be about an hour, max.

Just looking at that website again, the problem seems to be that there are no trains direct to Oxford, so it was going via Paddington. The National Rail suggest you can get there via bus to Reading in 75 to 90 minutes.

I was also looking at various airports that one can travel onto York. Choices, choices.

Right...thought there had to be a direct bus. But it would be too helpful of me to find that. :)

Obviously. :P

There are direct buses from every airport.

What kind of flat are you looking for? How many rooms? What price range? How long? :P

Found a place in York that looks quite good. There are plenty of dates available just now for April / May, though I don't think that will last long once Christmas and New Year are out the way, and we can use one flat / combine two or use the garden flat and have a bbq! Rates look quite reasonable and they are used to catering for large groups so their shouldn't be any frowning at large numbers turning up...

Maybe Ratty can tell us if it's location is as good as it sounds? :)

Found a place in York that looks quite good. There are plenty of dates available just now for April / May, though I don't think that will last long once Christmas and New Year are out the way, and we can use one flat / combine two or use the garden flat and have a bbq! Rates look quite reasonable and they are used to catering for large groups so their shouldn't be any frowning at large numbers turning up...

hmmm they certainly look like a good option

*looks around* What the hell is this place? Where's the immigration threads?

Anyway, I felt a disturbance in the force and felt compelled to come over. Probably the Reading mention. If Oxford is chosen, I don't mind going up to check some places over.

This one might be worth a second look. Unlike the York one, price isn't per head but for the actual flat, and it has no mention of maximum occupancy (a usual hassle in that type of accomodation). Thing is, the website hasn't been updated recently, and they might not rent it out anymore. Though it's by far the most superior deal I found in Oxford for the likes of us: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, Broadband etc, CD, DVD, LCD TV, and on street parking (no mean bonus in Oxford). Lovely looking garden too.

£425/450 for a weekend (4 days, 3 nights), and £595/650 for the whole week (7 days, 6 or 7 nights). Between the railway station and the coach station, so fairly close (5, 10 minutes walk to most things)

Best dates for me are the weekend of 21/22 April or 19/20 May. In theory I should be able to do any of the weekends inbetween, but this involves saving. Not something I'm good at.

I do wonder if this will negatively impact the Copenhagen trip. It sounds like the 'hagen is going to be reasonably expensive and this only gives people three-and-a-bit months to save up money for it. Hmm.

You lie. :P

I couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread... :blush::lol:

(anyhoo, hopefully we can meet up with some of you fine people at the beginning of April. :) )

Xray - I've got a far better chance of meeting up with you two when you come to Scotland than I have of making it to either York or Oxford so at least one person won't be too skint to party with you :D

Archived