Eclipse -- What Does It Mean?!

TheMightyKC

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

One might think you'd see the predicted traffic tomorrow rather than, um, not tomorrow....

Dr.P,

Perhaps, I figured given most would be traveling today so that they would be in place for the eclipse tomorrow.  The traffic today has be fairly light.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

Perhaps, I figured given most would be traveling today so that they would be in place for the eclipse tomorrow.  The traffic today has be fairly light.

I would think most people traveling would make a weekend out of it, and the bad traffic would be more on Friday night and Saturday morning. 

I haven't left my neighborhood though or paid any attention to the news, so I've no idea if that was the case.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

I would think most people traveling would make a weekend out of it, and the bad traffic would be more on Friday night and Saturday morning. 

I haven't left my neighborhood though or paid any attention to the news, so I've no idea if that was the case.

I had to travel for a funeral yesterday and the traffic was heavy but it never snagged, unusual for the interstates around here.  Heavy traffic almost always leads to traffic jams.

I'm in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee, visiting my 95 year old mother. Her assisted living place is having an eclipse party tomorrow. Not sure if I will go to it or watch the eclipse at my sister's house (where I am staying overnight while I'm here) which is 2 miles away.

As to the meaning of the eclipse -- it is hard for my mind not to go to the interpretation that since this is the first eclipse where the path of totality is visible ONLY in the USA (if you don't count a bit of ocean) that the USA is being "eclipsed" -- our time as the most powerful country in the world will soon be over. This may not be a bad thing, but given our present political situation it's hard for my mind not to see this "meaning" even though it's a very unscientific interpretation.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

Or Friday, or Saturday.  Likely the influx of visitors arriving would be spread out over the entire days.  I would expect any sort of rush hour for people coming into town over the weekend.  

A better measure for the influx of visitors would probably be checking to see how full hotels are.  A couple weeks ago a friend was trying to schedule a trip to come visit.  I'm right at the edge of totality but plane tickets here were hundreds of dollars higher than usual and hotels were completely booked.  The weekend before and after had ample availability and were more reasonably priced. 

I have a dentist appointment that lines up with the supposed peak of the eclipse. Grand timing. 

I made a crappy pinhole thing out of a cereal box so maybe I can catch a glimpse from the dentist parking lot before I go inside. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I made a crappy pinhole thing out of a cereal box so maybe I can catch a glimpse from the dentist parking lot before I go inside. 

My sister and I made one of those as well. Seems to work alright. 

We're not in the direct path of the eclipse, but there's not a single cloud in the sky here. 

Wow, glad I lived to see that! :) I was in the courtyard of the Maristone, the assisted living place where my mother lives in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. There were a few clouds in the sky but none near the sun. I was particularly amazed at seeing the white ring around the black disc during absolute totality -- that was just incredible and better looking than I expected. I think my mother was also impressed (though unfortunately she won't remember a thing about it tomorrow.)

Archived