Eclipse -- What Does It Mean?!

TheMightyKC

We just got past totality.  It was absolutely amazing.  There was dawnlight in a 360 deg. circle around us.  We could hear crickets and other insects acting as though it was evening.  The corona was a brilliant circle surrounding the occuled disc of the sun. I am so pleased that the clouds held off.  What an unbelievable experience.  

:)

well it wasn't my first but was my first totality on land...it was just as awesome as my first, but lots more fun...cause man, i was surrounded by friends and Karate Princess at Pizza Man, where slices, beers, and shots were lifted in salute...and hearing the crickets while watching kids face was pretty fucking cool...the weather on my side of town was great @Ser Scot A Ellisonclouds held off til after totality and were only a momentary bother afterward...only shower came for 2 minutes at very end...

My Princess was dancing and shouting...she said she subscribed to the dragon eats sun meaning so she howled and chased the dragon away...

secretly i was hoping for aliens...but alas just heartburn from the anchovies and pitcher of budlight

:smoking:

13 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

well it wasn't my first but was my first totality on land...it was just as awesome as my first, but lots more fun...cause man, i was surrounded by friends and Karate Princess at Pizza Man, where slices, beers, and shots were lifted in salute...and hearing the crickets while watching kids face was pretty fucking cool...the weather on my side of town was great @Ser Scot A Ellisonclouds held off til after totality and were only a momentary bother afterward...only shower came for 2 minutes at very end...

My Princess was dancing and shouting...she said she subscribed to the dragon eats sun meaning so she howled and chased the dragon away...

secretly i was hoping for aliens...but alas just heartburn from the anchovies and pitcher of budlight

:smoking:

It was an experience well worth dancing for. :)

Welp, I got screwed by the seller I bought glasses from on Amazon. They never came, and by the time I realized they probably wouldn't the glasses were out of stock everywhere. Looking at the feedback that seller received in the last week, a bunch of people got screwed. Not only did many people not get their glasses, many of the ones that did got their order rerouted from China. That seller cancelled his Amazon seller account some time last week too.  Back in July, I took my time and researched before I ordered those glasses. Learning what approved glasses I should get and looking in the descriptions for the right certification and maker and paying attention to feedback for any complaints. I guess it was a Ponzi-ish scheme, sort of. All the early order feedback were positive saying they got exactly what was described, then in the last week all the negative complaints came in.

I got my money back from Amazon, of course, but I missed the chance to really look at the sun.

So, on completely stupid things...I did sneak a couple quick (less than a second) glances at the sun during the peak of the eclipse here. I guess I'm as stupid as the President, oh dear. :uhoh: 

My eyes seem fine, and in those quick glances I did see the moon moving in front of the sun, the sun looking like a crescent. That was cool.

Back in 1984 we had an annular solar eclipse and D.C. and the surrounding areas were going to have ~95% totality. I was in 3rd grade and we made our pinhole cameras and we were going to go out and look at it...and it was overcast with thick cloud cover and drizzle all day. Just got darker but couldn't see the eclipse at all. :( 

28 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

So, on completely stupid things...I did sneak a couple quick (less than a second) glances at the sun during the peak of the eclipse here. I guess I'm as stupid as the President, oh dear. :uhoh: 

Yeah, I got bored with using the Fruit Loops box and did something similarly stupid. I didn't try to look directly at the sun, but I did get a look at the eclipse by glancing at its reflection in a pool. 

Edit: And in the quest for important information that hasn't been revealed yet, I'd like to know what cereal box KiDisaster used to make his device.

We made a small road trip to see totality. It was pretty amazing, although we had a partly cloudy situation. We only saw the sun about half of the available time during the totality, but I feel lucky we got to see what we did. The clouds got worse after the event and we realized it rained in areas around us. Totally worth the trip though, even taking into the consideration the traffic that sucked ass afterward. We avoided any organized events or bigger towns and we still got hit with horrendous traffic jams. Once we got moving on the intersatate road work slowed us to a crawl for another hour to our great frustration. Took us over twice the time it should have to get back home. Like I said, still worth it.

I'm in Iowa and we drove down to Missouri. The gas stations we stopped at over the border were filled with Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin plates - we completely outnumbered the native Missouri cars. Even in the more rural areas, we'd see ball fields set up for large viewing events, catering, etc. We ended up at an elementary school (not in session yet) next to their playground and surrounded by other travelers with chairs and blankets and coolers and a convenience store two blocks away for all our emergency needs. All in all a nice spot.

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yeah, I got bored with using the Fruit Loops box and did something similarly stupid. I didn't try to look directly at the sun, but I did get a look at the eclipse by glancing at its reflection in a pool. 

Edit: And in the quest for important information that hasn't been revealed yet, I'd like to know what cereal box KiDisaster used to make his device.

Archived