Shall i start reading the books now that i'm a fan of the show?

Danny-

19 hours ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

A Feast for crows? I thought most people didn't like that book. It's certainly not an opinion I've ever seen anyone react badly to. Personally it's my favourite and I think a lot of people miss a lot of important information in it. 

Man, I just don't know which book is which. AGoTCwKSySDwPoS is the typical gobbledygook I see . I prefer 1st book, 2nd book, etc. :D

Now, I know that some books were broken in half when published outside of the US so my view is deeply flawed, and I don't know what naming is done in those countries. But still!

[btw, I've spent a lot of time working on very highly, secure, websites where you are, randomly, assigned a new password every week (via a super-secret mechanism) that is along the lines of "AGx9KD&dm9@", and haven't had the slightest problem remembering the password, even though it changes weekly to another absurd string of characters. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember/decipher the acronyms for the five published and two, as yet unpublished, novels...]

On topic, I suppose, I liked the fourth book a lot, whatever its name/acronym might be... ;)

39 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

Man, I just don't know which book is which. AGoTCwKSySDwPoS is the typical gobbledygook I see . I prefer 1st book, 2nd book, etc. :D

Now, I know that some books were broken in half when published outside of the US so my view is deeply flawed, and I don't know what naming is done in those countries. But still!

[btw, I've spent a lot of time working on very highly, secure, websites where you are, randomly, assigned a new password every week (via a super-secret mechanism) that is along the lines of "AGx9KD&dm9@", and haven't had the slightest problem remembering the password, even though it changes weekly to another absurd string of characters. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember/decipher the acronyms for the five published and two, as yet unpublished, novels...]

On topic, I suppose, I liked the fourth book a lot, whatever its name/acronym might be... ;)

I'm much the same tbh luckily I had a copy in arms reach of my computer so I could check the inside cover that has the order of the books. Feast is book four but not the fourth book. That would be a storm of swords blood and gold. Feast is the one without Dany or Jon but instead has Tyrion travelling to Volantis and Brienne and Jaime in the riverlands and Cersei while ASoS part 2 is Tyrion with Sansa and Samwell on his way back to the wall Bran travelling north and Jon defending the wall and Dany taking Meereen.

It's usually Feast for Crows that people dislike because of no Jon or Dany but for me that's probably it's biggest appeal :D

On 11/1/2017 at 0:49 AM, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Yes... You should. And then read them again, then again, then again...

and then the ancillary novellas, and then the spoiler chapters, and then the whole thing again, and again, and again...

On 10/30/2017 at 3:51 AM, Danny- said:

Good question  , i always read on this forum about fans reading the books multiple times and I thought there’s no way i’d do that.

i’m on the 3rd book now and i already see myslef re-reading them after i’m done with the set . I think i’ll be able to answer ur question better then.

For now i like the more thorough insight on the characters ,i love book jaime and his arrogance although his pov has just started in the 3d book. I learned that jon hates being a bastard and that’s affected his character alot. Tyrion is more cunning in the books .

Little things that when added together make the books amazing.

LoooL !

Rereading is great! The brief history of my reading is that I discovered the books early, and would reread when a new book would come out. I appreciated things more, with each re-read, though the "surprise, shock, and awe" of the first read was missing, I especially gained appreciation for my hated characters (whom I shall keep unrevealed atm).

I never sought out the fandom or the show until six months ago. The fandom has revealed gazillions of details that I never dreamed about (I'm a lazy reader), but are rather stimulating. I only started watching the show at the same time, which was also good, though maybe because of superb acting.

A show watcher discovering the books does miss the book "surprise, shock, and awe", but presumably got the equivalent from the show. :)

21 hours ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

I'm much the same tbh luckily I had a copy in arms reach of my computer so I could check the inside cover that has the order of the books. Feast is book four but not the fourth book. That would be a storm of swords blood and gold. Feast is the one without Dany or Jon but instead has Tyrion travelling to Volantis and Brienne and Jaime in the riverlands and Cersei while ASoS part 2 is Tyrion with Sansa and Samwell on his way back to the wall Bran travelling north and Jon defending the wall and Dany taking Meereen.

It's usually Feast for Crows that people dislike because of no Jon or Dany but for me that's probably it's biggest appeal :D

The American publishing history is:

1) A Game of Thrones (AGoT)

2) A Clash of Kings (ACoK)

3) A Storm of Swords (ASoS)

4) A Feast for Crows (AFoC)

5) A Dance with Dragons (ADwD)

6) [unpublished] The Winds of Winter (TWoW)

7) [unpublished] A Dream of Spring (ADoS)

My guesses on the acronyms. :D

As you say Feast for Crows is disliked by a lot because of no Jon or Dany. And that has a great appeal to me, as you mention. :) Though I don't dislike Dany, but more the endless Slavers Bay stuff. I felt grrm but his best stuff forward with A Feast for Crows, while his lessor material (ie prolly lots of filler) ended up in A Dance with Dragons. Or whatever, and to stay on topic, the more you read you get a general appreciation of the books.

Archived