Why did they bring up succession order?

Ser Meryn Frey

Just now, Styl7 said:

What about the fact that the suddenly decide in season 6 that she cannot bear children while the never mentioned it in the Mirri Maz Duur prophecy ?

Is it really not mentioned in her prophecy in the show?? It's been a long while since I saw that episode from the 1st season, but man I can't believe they'd exclude such a pivotal part of it. 

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think it is pretty clear at this point that Dany is going to become pregnant.  They are just clobbering us over the head with clues now including Jorah telling Jon to pass Longclaw on to his children.

Yeah that line was as subtle as a blow to the head from Gendry's Warhammer.

Well from how I interpreted it was that Dany's wants to "break the wheel". Meaning the end of dynasties and having more of a democracy. Allowing all the kingdoms or the people to vote and choose which King/Queen to rule. Tyrion does mention how Pyke and the Nights choose their successors, hinting to run Westeros in a similar fashion.

Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, i_am_no_one said:

Is it really not mentioned in her prophecy in the show?? It's been a long while since I saw that episode from the 1st season, but man I can't believe they'd exclude such a pivotal part of it. 

they did have her say that sorceress say that in season one but after that it is never mentioned where as in the books it is

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I think it is pretty clear at this point that Dany is going to become pregnant.  They are just clobbering us over the head with clues now including Jorah telling Jon to pass Longclaw on to his children.

She is not going to. She believes that she can't have any children. That's why she slips her hand out of Jon's. She couldn't bare Jon's children. Jon knows this. He bends the knee and Dany may think that he wouldn't be interested in her romantically but as a Queen. Jon knows nothing.

Because Jon and Dany will have a baby - probably a bunch of them.   That's how they ensure that the wheel will stay broken, and all of Dany's good works will carry-on for millennia.  I just hope they find someway to do it without it being the very cheesy last scene of the last episode - fade to black. 

yeah that seems obvious. Also they just mentioned it for the first time since season one that she can't have children and that was just the word of a sorceress who had every reason to lie and want to hurt dany. I do see her having children now. The story of ice and fire and jon is both so it cancels it out

46 minutes ago, Calibeamer7 said:

Well from how I interpreted it was that Dany's wants to "break the wheel". Meaning the end of dynasties and having more of a democracy. Allowing all the kingdoms or the people to vote and choose which King/Queen to rule. Tyrion does mention how Pyke and the Nights choose their successors, hinting to run Westeros in a similar fashion.

Thoughts?

This was exactly what I thought when I watched the scene. 

But democracy failed in Essos, so I wonder how it could be managed in Westeros.

46 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

She is not going to. She believes that she can't have any children. That's why she slips her hand out of Jon's. She couldn't bare Jon's children. Jon knows this. He bends the knee and Dany may think that he wouldn't be interested in her romantically but as a Queen. Jon knows nothing.

yes she "believes" she can't. She is basing this on the word of a sorceress who had every reason to hurt her and since she probably doubted dany would survive after that it made sense. so guess what happens now that she meets jon who is ice and fire?

Just now, Apoplexy said:

This was exactly what I thought when I watched the scene. 

But democracy failed in Essos, so I wonder how it could be managed in Westeros.

I think they could try it but it would fall apart real quick since a democracy is unheard of in westeros and you can't create a democracy when people even the common people believe in birth rights.

It's a fair question given the Queen was about to ride off into danger.  But I don't think it matters if what Dany has in mind to bring democracy.  The next ruler will be elected and everyone gets one vote, noble or common.

3 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I think they could try it but it would fall apart real quick since a democracy is unheard of in westeros and you can't create a democracy when people even the common people believe in birth rights.

Exactly. And Tyrion should know better than to suggest 'elections' since he was in Essos and saw democracy fail there first hand.

3 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I never believed Mirri Maz Durr, I think she was lying. But it is possible that Dany can become fertile only when certain conditions are met. And Jon is still her nephew, which makes this romance a bit off putting.

I can see how this might prevent their relationship from developing.  Jon goes off in the far north and Dany stays in the south.  But let's be realistic.  Not everything will be addressed or resolved by the end of the story.  The question of succession may remain hanging.  Dany is very young.  16-17 in the books, but still young on the show. 

Archived