[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

12 hours ago, athmystikal said:

1. I am not an expert on Ravenry, but I assumed it would take at least 2-3 days for a raven to reach Dragonstone from Eastwatch. But looks like this particular raven was equipped with Jetpacks that it made it in a couple of hours.

Eastwatch uses swallows, of the unleaden variety. I hope that clears up the speed with which the message was delivered to Dragonstone.

16 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I was sadder than she was, and I don't even buy into the show anymore. Viserion did a very brave and noble thing. He put it all on the line to save humanity, and he died for it. That was really sad, one of three of these magical creatures passing in such a way.

You'd think mama might be a bit moved. Or have some regrets, like why did she bring all three dragons? Or better yet, she could have gone with her nephew/lover on Drogon, spent the night at a nice inn, made a nice weekend out of the whole catch a wight fiasco.

Lol

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

While there are normally things any show can be criticized for, reading this thread from time to time really goes a long way to show you how some people really just want to strong their ego

Im not saying there is nothing to complain about. This episode clearly had pacing problem. Furthermore, it suffered from dropped content from the book, like Aegon, Sansa..etc.

But reading some complains? Come on!

Are some of you really complaining about how the Wights were able to get massive chains? Do you need the show runners to show you every little detail? When Jon and Co had to go to the bathroom? How many times they ate? There is always the small minority looking to complain about things like this. Hell, even in Lord Of The Rings, people complained about how the group was barely seen eating.

white walkers traveling slow. Really? They have only been doing that since season 1/book 1. Why complain now? Why continue to complain? 

Im not going to waste more time laughing at the idiotic things some posters have posted. I'm not saying there is nothing to complain about but it's getting a bit pathetic 

This thread is rant and rave without repercussions. Your post is the exact opposite of that. Get lost.

Oh I forgot: Haven't we learned that Dragons only bear one rider? And now we have them with a taxi-license? Is it Dragon-cab now, besides teleporting? Besides: Adding the weight of five men, each in full clothes and armour, adds something like 500 kg (i.e. half a ton) to the weight of the Dragon. I wonder if he still could fly (or at least get off the ground without a cliff to start diving from)?

I think this season is as bad as it is because the characters are all acting stupid

1. Dany burning and murdering a few thousand soldiers on the field instead of a few hundred in a city because she doesn't want to kill civilians is stupid. News flash those soldiers you burned were also civilians only they where wearing armor. 

2. Dragons seem to be really fast so why not just fly to the land of always winter pick up one of the white walkers and fly back or you know maybe try to attack the army's leader with your dragons instead of their mindless minions if you do have to send ground forces.

3. The night king was like 'uh... there are three dragons two of which are smaller, flying and currently not trying to evacuate my enemies. the other one is stationary, closer, bigger and currently trying to evacuate my enemies... beter throw at the flying ones'. 

4. Dany is sad about the dude she met a few weeks ago dying instead of her Dragon Kid. 

5. Arya hiding her bag of faces under her bed. common you're supposed to be a master assassin.

6. Jon not hopping on the dragon so he can fight random wights. Why didn't he just stand next to it, kill those same wights only a few seconds later and mount the dragon when the rest of your party is safe. 

3 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

GRRM must share part of the blame, when they started adapting the books to tv-screen i'm sure that they never thought he won't finish Winds of Winter until now. You can't expect D&D to write a good script in 1 year, when it takes GRRM more than 7 to write it down. At first they began by adapting a book to tv-screen, know they have to create from scratch, even though Martin told them how the books and the main storylines will end. Thankfully the quality of the CGI, the acting, the cast and so on keeps the emotion there for me, not so much for others though.

I am quite tired of people blaming GRRM for this mess of a show. I said that before and I will repeat it again: 

-GRRM is just responsible for his books.

- D&D were perfectly aware of GRRM´s writing pace when they convinced HBO to start the project.

- There are plenty of book adaptations that retain their quality well after they run out of or diverge from source material. 

So,no, no more lame excuses. The showrunners and HBO are the only ones to blame.

2 hours ago, Ser Didymus said:

the show is garbage.  it's insulting to GRRM and fans of the original story every where.  this isn't fan service, it's an abomination.  

Abomination. The same exact word come to me this morning :)

Any time someone on this show mentions "breaking the wheel" I cringe. It's so dumb. Just shut up, Tyrion.

Arya has quickly become the most annoying character in the show. The whole Arya - Sansa conflict now is completely idiotic. Everyone in the North is aware Sansa married Ramsay on her free will and don't seem to mind, why would they give a dam that as a girl she sent a letter under duress while captive?

Apparently Benjen is the only one of the good guys smart enough to use a horse. He should have told his moron of a nephew "Hey, dumbass, take a horse the next time".

Good point about the showrunners being aware of his pace. IIRC he published AFFC in 2005. The show and ADWD both came out in 2011. So, given that pace they might have considered that it would be quite some time before TWOW came out....

Besides they started changing the plot in season 5 and that was off of material GRRM HAD given them in book form. No excuse for that. 

I don't want to post an entire new rant cause it seems like everyone else has covered it pretty well but I just want to single out Jon and Dany.

Jon's character is ruined. He's an idiot in the show who always needs to be saved by someone else (Battle of the Bastards and last night). And now all of a sudden he's willing to bend the knee and is in love with Dany cause she saved him? I guess it sort of makes sense. And Dany now is in love with Jon because Tyrion told her Jon is in love with her? Didn't she literally say earlier in the episode that Jon was the "smallest" of all the guys that loved her? She also was unwilling to help Jon out because he had no proof of the White Walkers but suddenly she's in love with him and wants to go help him out. But hey, they have to have her fall in love with him for some weird reason because they need a Jon and Dany alliance. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Why would the dead have giant iron chains? The wights are brainless slaves, and the WW live where there is nothing but ice. They can't have made them, because forging chains means using FIRE. The wildlings themselves would have had little reason to make such great chains, when iron is sparse there, and they would have used it to make weapons, not fucking chains. So it is a completely legitimate complaint. Also, in addition to having the chains, there's the whole chaining of the massive, submerged dragon. They were able to do that, but couldn't cross a bit of broken ice. Hahahahaha!!! 

And people have complained about the time it takes to travel for a long time, because it breaks immersion every time they pull one of these stunts. The army of the dead, the one army that requires no food or rest, hasn't yet reached the Wall, and the lands north of the Wall aren't that big, by the way, while whole wars have been fought all over Westeros, and Dany has sailed with an armada from Slaver's Bay.

But, yeah, it's pathetic to complain about logical stuff. Go away!

I never said you shouldn't complain about the pacing issue. It's clear that it is a problem considering that over the course of 3-4 season, the passage of time has gotten out of hand

Regarding the white walkers marching towards he wall; this is both in the TV series and novels. They are taking their time in order for the other stories to catch up. Trying to complain about this is as idiotic as complaining about how winter can last for "over a generation". The showrunners and the tv series made it priority to show the viewers/readers that the real threat is in the north. The show specifically has to remind viewers of that threat. If the show fails to do this, when the battle finally occurs, people will complain that the "main villain" did not have proper introduction. By showing the threat, viewers have a remind both visually and from Jon that this is battle that counts. 

Again with the ^**^%^*ing chains! Let it go. Omg! If the show runners had decided to use the damn rope, you would still find it a problem. I even saw a member complain why the White Walker had to touch the dragon to reanimate it when he did not have to do it others.

Again, I'm not saying there are no legitimate thing to complain about. I'm saying, some stuff you shouldn't complain about. You need to suspend some logic when going into the tv series.

Some notiable dumb stuff members here complained about in the past were even more absurd. I still remember the idiot who rated the episode a 1 because Lyanna had dark blonde hair instead as it was wrong from the book. The threat had over 4 pages of people complaining. Even in other shows like the Wire, people complain that the character survived a fall from three story. Yet, it was based on actual event where the guy actually did survive that fall.

Point being, please complain about legitimate real issues. Complaining about how Wights got chains is ludicrous . Go complain about how the White Walkers were able to forge that armor...

3 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

I don't want to post an entire new rant cause it seems like everyone else has covered it pretty well but I just want to single out Jon and Dany.

Jon's character is ruined. He's an idiot in the show who always needs to be saved by someone else (Battle of the Bastards and last night). And now all of a sudden he's willing to bend the knee and is in love with Dany cause she saved him? I guess it sort of makes sense. And Dany now is in love with Jon because Tyrion told her Jon is in love with her? Didn't she literally say earlier in the episode that Jon was the "smallest" of all the guys that loved her? She also was unwilling to help Jon out because he had no proof of the White Walkers but suddenly she's in love with him and wants to go help him out. But hey, they have to have her fall in love with him for some weird reason because they need a Jon and Dany alliance. 

Yeah Jon is the new (show) Jaime

There's got to be a fly in the love boat ointment when Dany finds out her identity along with her titles is lost because her nephew!lover has a better claim.

Even if Jon... aka the one who throws himself on a grenade because that's what he does according to Benioff... is OK with banging his auntie.

18 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Good point about the showrunners being aware of his pace. IIRC he published AFFC in 2005. The show and ADWD both came out in 2011. So, given that pace they might have considered that it would be quite some time before TWOW came out....

Besides they started changing the plot in season 5 and that was off of material GRRM HAD given them in book form. No excuse for that. 

:agree:And even if all books had been out at that point that wouldn't have guaranteed us a good adaptation. See the Hobbit movies. 

18 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

Yeah that's really stupid. If they want these characters together so much they could have done it a lot easier  by just letting them marry for political reasons and than they could have fallen in love. 

18 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Welcome to the Whining and Whinging Edition of the Rant And Rave Thread. 

~Note on thread rules from Ran~

The topic of the thread is discussing things you dislike about the show. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply.

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic.

The first thing on the first page.

24 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Lmao 

Do you need your safe space to that people don't call you out for how idiotic some of the rants are?

You are free to not to read any of the posts here if you do not like them.

Still nonsensical and predictable, but at least there’s a momentum to it, along with the spectacle to keep it entertaining in a popcorn movie kind of way.

Before the encounter with the wights, I thought the camaraderie moments with Jon & Co were for the most part well done, probably some of the best writing since season 4. Even the stuff in Winterfell and Dragonstone was okay until the bewildering confrontations that came up. It was nice to have genuine character moments that were relatively well written. It feels like ages since we’ve had competently constructed scenes of people talking that felt natural and organic. A lot of the unresolved issues I had with the previous episode were tidied up, so that was nice to see. The calm before the storm angle was handled nicely, which is word I haven’t used about this show in years.

But the fight scenes were kind of a mess. Not sure if it’s just the low quality/choppy framerate of the bootleg, but it was hard to tell what was going on (and not in a good way). A lot of the moments in the action was very unsurprising and rote, as well. I haven’t read too many spoilers (just Wight Dragon and boat sex), but anyone familiar with standard storytelling tropes could’ve written this episode. Not really surprising, other than the fact that only one of the main 7 died (had a feeling it would be Thoros, too as he seemed the most expendable).

The Sansa/Arya conflict took a weird turn, too. Why was Sansa searching through her rooms? And how twisted (and frankly out of character) is Arya to openly contemplate wearing her sister’s face? She’s smart enough to outsmart and kill the Waif, infiltrate and wipe out the entire Frey male line, but she can’t see through Littlefinger’s obvious plotting? And she can’t just sit down and have a simple conversation with her sister, where they could hash out their issues in a couple of minutes? 

I have to say, I think the reason why Littlefinger’s character hasn’t been working for the last few seasons, but especially in these episodes, is because we know exactly what he’s plotting and why. Before, you never knew what he was doing or what ends he was trying to achieve. Now that the audience is in on the act, it’s lost its appeal. Unfortunately he’s boring now, and long past his expiration date. Not sure why he seemed to lose all of his ambition and guile after killing Lysa, but he’s taking up valuable screen time and needs to go.

Sending off Brienne was odd, too. Why send the only trustworthy person you have, who’s also a very capable fighter, to a meeting with Cersei (for no good reason) where she’ll likely be killed?

And did Tormund actually cry for help? What the hell was that?

The stalemate with the wight army/Gendry running all the way back to the Wall for help was just laughable. How could he make it back so fast? (I’m assuming their initial trek took days, maybe a week or two, and yet it seemed Gendry made it back in a couple of hours) It also seems as if the raven made it Dragonstone in less than a day, same with Dany making the trip. 

Timey-wimey stuff aside, why the hell would the wights just stand there for days? Even with white walkers and the Night King showing up? And yet start charging because Sandor kicked their fellow zombie and threw some rocks? The Night King should’ve had no way of knowing dragons exist again, let alone that they were in Westeros and coming to save the day. As powerful as the show has portrayed them (which frankly, isn’t that impressive, given how easily people have dispatched the Others recently), it’s never been even hinted at that they are omniscient. Some kind of connection with the Three Eyed Raven/Children of the Forest, sure, but not all seeing or all knowing. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m also really sick of this need D&D seem to have to make Jon the dumbest guy in the room. It was bad enough he and his men had to be rescued during BotB, but early this season he willingly let himself become a hostage of a foreign queen (with dragons!), then suggested and went on this harebrained suicide mission, and then when being rescued from his foolhardy escapade almost gets himself killed again by his bloodlust (only to be saved yet again by deus ex Benjen). And I hate this constant predilection to bring back characters only to kill them off in the same episode. I get it, D&D don’t like the books and only want to focus on their core characters, but they could at least be a little less lazy and put some thought into it. I doubt Jon will even mention or think about his uncle again. What a waste.

The only major thing I would’ve done differently would be to omit Benjen and have Rhaegal be the one to save Jon (and therefore also prove to Dany that she’s not the last Targaryan). Might put a crimp in their plans for romance, but I think it would’ve worked better dramatically. By the way, I didn’t see Rhaegal after Viserion was killed; was he somehow taken out too, or was HBO just being cheap and didn’t want to fork over anymore for the CGI?

I still miss Richard Brake as the Night King.

Archived