[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

46 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

I am quite tired of people blaming GRRM for this mess of a show. I said that before and I will repeat it again: 

-GRRM is just responsible for his books.

- D&D were perfectly aware of GRRM´s writing pace when they convinced HBO to start the project.

- There are plenty of book adaptations that retain their quality well after they run out of or diverge from source material. 

So,no, no more lame excuses. The showrunners and HBO are the only ones to blame.

Abomination. The same exact word come to me this morning :)

Completely agree! It was D&D that decided to skip pass many, many, many plotlines to the push the story beyond the books and completely disregard Feast.

I take it Jon and Jaime went to the same school of swimming in armor? Only Jaime skipped classes to learn big words - Jon certainly did skip less fewer lessons for that - and thus Jaime needed a bit of help from Bronn, too.

After episode 5 I had some hopes that they would redeem themselves. Instead they hit another low, again.

As much as I hate the whole wight catching thing, at least the NK now looks like a proper badass with an apparent arm transplant of a wighted John Elway. But as much as I hated that plot it has absolutely nothing on:

The completely utterly idiotic Winterfell plot. Truth be told, it is so bad, that I think there will be more bad twists and turns that end up with a dead LF and Sansa and Arya as best buddies. Fan. Service. Awww, look at them. Arya just can't be ruined this bad, it's worse than Jaime by now.

Beric and Jon - so so (a bright spot!) The Hound and Tormund - pretty good for comedic relief to be honest, it didn't break too many illusions. Clarke looked hot as hell or cool as ice - take your pick - in her winter attire (I am a dirty old man, apologies)

The rest of it: utter crap.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Gendry is apparently an olympic sprinter who can sprint a marathon distance, in an environment he has never seen before in a place he has never been before. Oh! and can give pinpoint directions to Danny through a raven ... OK.

Agreed with everything you wrote but I just wanted to accentuate this.  Because I actually thought, while watching the ep, about how Gendry was basically re-enacting the the fabled original marathon in ancient Greece.  Then I further thought that we should all be happy because we're actually witnessing Gendry found a cadet branch to House Baratheon...called House Maratheon, obviously:P

1 minute ago, Prince of the North said:

Agreed with everything you wrote but I just wanted to accentuate this.  Because I actually thought, while watching the ep, about how Gendry was basically re-enacting the the fabled original marathon in ancient Greece.  Then I further thought that we should all be happy because we're actually witnessing Gendry found a cadet branch to House Baratheon...called House Maratheon, obviously:P

HA! 

7 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

House Maratheon.  I see what you did there.  Brilliant!

Apologies for the waste of server space. My actively watching friends are only just now sitting down with their bowls of popcorn and I just really really need a social outlet to go "AAAAAAARGHH!!!!!".

Started off well enough with some good dialogue. Finally a named character with a reasonable role in the story dies. D'oh, we're again catered to yet some more quite foreseeable last minute out of the blue miracle rescues, I've had enough of those already, thank you Sers. Suddenly I'm overcome by a horrible flood of memories about the countless theories I've read here on dragons and the bloody Night's King, only to find out that the nutters were actually onto something.

I'm only too happy that this week I had no time to have any snacks prepared 'cos they'd all be coming right back up by now.

*gnnnnh*

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

Again with the ^**^%^*ing chains! Let it go. Omg! If the show runners had decided to use the damn rope, you would still find it a problem. I even saw a member complain why the White Walker had to touch the dragon to reanimate it when he did not have to do it others.

Actually, as I watched that scene, I thought that some thick rope would have been more believable. Wildlings use plenty of rope, to scale the Wall among other things. But chains - I believe I have already given a reasonable explanation as to why such massive chains shouldn't exist north of the Wall.

I never thought I'd say this after reading DwD, but I think one of the biggest mistakes of the show, was cutting out Aegon.

It's pretty obvious that there's a huge chunk of plot that's been ignored, which could amount to the entire second half of the series, that in the books will in some way lead to a very different path towards the final showdown. I actually think having Aegon on would prove easier in the show by the way, where by convention it's more expected to have a host of new characters and plots to start the season, compared with the books.

I think Cercei is growing stale as the final human villain, that the things the showrunners are coming up with to replace the ignored plot make no sense, and that having a new character conquer Westeros after uniting Dorne, Highgarden and the Stormlands, and creating a brand new set of character dynamics as well as a Dance of Dragons when Dany does finally arrive, would have made for extremely fun TV. I think D&D are just tired of the series and want to move on to something else. They could have easily let the show reach 9 full seasons with a stronger plot, but they just seem eager to let it go.

You know, I was somewhat disappointed after I read Dance, but I think this season has proven that George really has this planned out and knows what he's doing... and I can appreciate a lot more his struggle with making everything in the books make sense right now.

[SPOILERS]

In the immortal words of Frank Costansa: "I got a lot of problems with you people." and by "you people" I mean D&D.  

UTTERLY RIDICULOUS BS from ep6s7GoT in descending order of severity: 

1. Night King throws Ice Spear OVER Drogon (and all the moronic marauders) to hit and kill V. 
  2. Dany fails to just burn the Night King right off the block. She had the air advantage!!! even if she does a sweep to clear the "rock' of wights first, head for the king, for gods sake- he was exposed and open.  
  3. Gendry makes it to the wall in warp time
  4.  Raven makes it to Dragonstone in super warp time
  5. Dany and Dragons make it in triple double warp time to save the moronic marauders.
  6. Dany risks her dragons for a half assed no good very bad scheme to "Capture a walker" and has no strategic plan of execution for keeping them all alive.  She hasn't learned a thing from her previous battle mistakes
  7. The Night King just happens to have three enormous chains,  on site, and are able to attach them to Viserion, underwater. 
  8. Jon survives and climbs out of water (a) with Longclaw and (b) alive
  9. Benjen just decides to show up then 
  10. Benjen doesn't ride off with Jon. 
  11. Every one of the moronic marauders is not fully outfitted with dragon glass and fire spears, since we know these are the only things that kill these MOFOs
  12. Tormund- NO MATTER HOW DELIGHTFUL AND CHARMING HE IS- makes small talk with anyone except Jon. 
  13. The Hound "Neville Longbottoms"  the battle by throwing rocks at the wights (You and whose army?) 
  14. Arya doesn't know she's being played by LF
  15. Sansa doesn't know Arya is being played by LF
  16.  Arya and Sansa haven't told each other WTF happened to them- HOW DOES ARYA NOT KNOW ABOUT RAMSEY YET????
  17. People are turning on Sansa instead of Arya, whose being a punkassed bitch, failing to understand that they both have gone through some shit. 
  18. THE WRITER ARE GONNA USE VISERIONS DEATH TO BRING DANY AND JON TOGETHER. (f**k those guys. seriously, f**k those guys)
  19. The writers are reuniting Brienne with Jamie- JAMIE DOES NOT DESERVE BRIENNE. Tormund deseves Brienne. 

D&D are treating the viewers like we are idiots and it won't do. I'm beyond annoyed and now a dragon is dead for no good reason.

Thank you for indulging a long time lurker. I only feel ok posting now because I called that whole Jon/Jorah/Longclaw scene last week, so I don't feel like such a rube anymore.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Actually, as I watched that scene, I thought that some thick rope would have been more believable. Wildlings use plenty of rope, to scale the Wall among other things. But chains - I believe I have already given a reasonable explanation as to why such massive chains shouldn't exist north of the Wall.

But what is worse is, this didn't even have to be an issue. The writers, by definition, write what happens. Why not just have the dragon crush on solid ground? I can easily imagine a scene that is just as dramatic, where the undead surround the carcass of a dead dragon while the NK walks amongst them and approaches the dragon to re-animate him.

Or if the dragon is to die in the water, how about this. The NK walks on the frozen lake alone, then kneels down. He touches the ice, Suddenly the ground begins to shake, the ice cracks, and the undead dragon arises, and kneels before the NK. Quite dramatic.

At some point, the writers sat down in front of a computer, and wrote a script that said 'hundreds of undead pull massive iron chains tied to the dragon, and pull him out of the water'. Then they probably made storyboards that showed this. And nobody thought to say, this doesn't make much sense, we can actually easily write a scene that is just as dramatic, but which avoids these issues with believability. But they chose not to do so, because they do not care.

Edited to add: Just wanted to say, admittedly, in isolation, the chains thing is not such a big deal. What makes it a big deal, is that it's just one final slap in the face after having to suffer blow after blow of horrible storytelling. It's that final insult that just tells you that the showrunners just. don't. care. anymore, not even for something as easily fixable as this.

6 minutes ago, Iotun said:

But what is worse is, this didn't even have to be an issue. The writers, by definition, write what happens. Why not just have the dragon crush on solid ground? I can easily imagine a scene that is just as dramatic, where the undead surround the carcass of a dead dragon while the NK walks amongst them and approaches the dragon to re-animate him.

Or if the dragon is to die in the water, how about this. The NK walks on the frozen lake alone, then kneels down. He touches the ice, Suddenly the ground begins to shake, the ice cracks, and the undead dragon arises, and kneels before the NK. Quite dramatic.

At some point, the writers sat down in front of a computer, and wrote a script that said 'hundreds of undead pull massive iron chains tied to the dragon, and pull him out of the water'. Then they probably made storyboards that showed this. And nobody thought to say, this doesn't make much sense, we can actually easily write a scene that is just as dramatic, but which avoids these issues with believability. But they chose not to do so, because they do not care.

Edited to add: Just wanted to say, admittedly, in isolation, the chains thing is not such a big deal. What makes it a big deal, is that it's just one final slap in the face after having to suffer blow after blow of horrible storytelling. It's that final insult that just tells you that the showrunners just. don't. care. anymore, not even for something as easily fixable as this.

This seems much preferable.  They still get their dramatic dragon sinking into the water moment, and the dragon is raised, but without the unforced errors of how the wights can now function in water when 5 minutes ago they had to wait for it to freeze, and where they got chains that would lift out a 747.  

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

Lmao 

Do you need your safe space to that people don't call you out for how idiotic some of the rants are?

It's not about safe spaces, it's about conversational etiquette. You should respect the parameters of a conversation in real life and online. This isn't a debate thread so entering it and debating is obnoxious and off topic. I would be all for a "debate the quality of the episode" thread, but it's been made clear up from that this isn't that.

Comparing that to a "safe space" is calling the entire idea of separate threads topics individual "safe spaces" for those topics. it's not. 

16 hours ago, teej6 said:

I agree with everything you said, but this is the thing I am currently most furious about:

"Then of course we have the onset of romantic feelings between Jon and Dany and Jon says you are my queen now and always and I will bend the knee. Aww isn’t that sweet. All it took is the death of one of Dany’s dragons."

16 hours ago, teej6 said:

1 minute ago, iprayiam said:

It's not about safe spaces, it's about conversational etiquette. You should respect the parameters of a conversation in real life and online. This isn't a debate thread so entering it and debating is obnoxious and off topic. I would be all for a "debate the quality of the episode" thread, but it's been made clear up from that this isn't that.

Comparing that to a "safe space" is calling the entire idea of separate threads topics individual "safe spaces" for those topics. it's not. 

I agree with iprayiam. Using a term like "safe space" is condescending and bullying. There are plenty of  other debate threads you can go do your best to get kicked out of, if need be. 

3 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Sorry, I am so angry. Probably has already been mentioned:

• in the book it needed many men to take down one wight (exception: Jon and Sam with fire). In the Show they already made it easier to fight the wights (Hardhome). Now it has become ridiculous. Remember: the wights have supernatural strength, the cut off limbs still fight. Now those half dozen stand against around a hundred wights for some time?
  • Why does no one uses a shield? I think last time I saw a shield in the Show with a Major character was Sandor Clegane versus Berric Dondarrion (the famous first Seasons with still some attachement to the books).
  • in the book it was never established that the wights were sensitive to dragonglass (situtaion with Sam killing un-dead Small Paul was not clear). Now, dragonglass works (Mormont struck the bear with a dragonglass dagger and the bear instantly died).
  • when trapped on the Island, the strategy of Jon's small Group was to sit out, being protected by water around. They HAD Gendry's hammer. Why the hell did they not destroy the ice around the Island?
  • Tyrion needed weeks and all Smiths in KL to forge a chain such as ne Night King used to pull out dead Viserion from the lake. Where did the NK come by this steel chain? Beyond the wall steel is rare, most Wildlings have only what they plundered from slain Night Watch men. The Thenns have mostly bronze. Besides: Can the dead army forge iron????? I could have lived with th Night King concentrating his AOE-ranged-raise-the-dead-skill (as shown in the episode Hardhome) for a Long time on the Dragon, but pulling it out with a chain???? I don't buy that. Who attached the chain to the Dragon? The wights did not feel comfortable in water. Are the White Walkers good swimmers/divers?
  • Why, with his spear-throwing abilities, did the Night king not just take out the few men on the Island with his spear?
  • Why aim at Viserion, a moving target much further away and not at Drogon, practically a sitting duck?
  • If only Jon had thought to bring along some archers with arrows and dragonglass heads.... He could have ended the war right there.

And so on, and so on. This Show is a sole disrepect towards GRRM's world and us watchers & readers. I am disgusted.

add these things to my rant too please. excellent points that have crossed my mind over the last few hours.  you must have fire to smith an iron chain, is worse than making no sense, its treating the watchers as idiots. 

Archived