[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

4 minutes ago, Steelegrave said:

That's rich!  Your calling people with legitimate gripes about the illogical plot, bad dialogue and complete destruction of beloved characters idiots, while defending said illogical plots, bad dialogue and complete destruction of beloved characters.  I think you need the safe space brother cause you obviously can't handle us expressing our displeasure for what they have done to our story.

Eh, just report him/her. The final words of that post made it pretty clear how he/she feels about this thread. "As a note, if the moderators enforce a forum where we can't call out or even "discuss" other people's opinion because said people require a safe space so they don't called out for being idiots is even more idiotic than this thread." 

I tend to not post in places where I feel this way. I have found myself not to be..."debating," but outright antagonistic.

People like this show, but a lot of us have come to not like it, and we aren't looking to argue. I think about IMDB's message boards and how bad those became because of lack of moderation--keeping things contained like this has kept this board civil and worth visiting over many message boards that have existed for a long time. 

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

Debating?

I'm discussing why you disliked something. As per the opening post of this thread, discussing why you dislike something in this episode is perfectly acceptable.

If I sounded like I'm calling you out or debating, it's my fault, I should have worded my post better to included words that discuss these "dislikes".

As a note, if the moderators enforce a forum where we can't call out or even "discuss" other people's opinion because said people require a safe space so they don't called out for being idiots is even more idiotic than this thread.

"This is NOT a debate thread" The OP is clear.

Preston reminded me of something I noticed during the show, I tend to get ocd and count people in long distance shots.  The numbers of the searchers went from 10 to 13 to 10.  Definitely a sloppy editing error

9 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I mean can this get worse? I won't write down everything that was wrong with this episode because it would take hours, so let's just focus on the worst bits.

[snip] 

I'm so done. 

I don't know you are. If you are male, female, or smurf. Married or unmarried. I am pretty sure I am officially in love with you. 

#5 was the absolute best!

I will bend the knee for you anytime!

6 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Preston reminded me of something I noticed during the show, I tend to get ocd and count people in long distance shots.  The numbers of the searchers went from 10 to 13 to 10.  Definitely a sloppy editing error

Wasn't in the previous episode, that you see only seven of them leaving from Eastwatch? Hence the name "magnificent seven" ? :D

This episode shows why the Night King will win. He plans ahead. He rides a horse instead of walking. He brings javelins and chains "just in case". Stupid humans cross the wall for a wight and the Night King waits for them to come so he can get his dragon. He could have killed Drogon with javelin instead of Visereon but he them live...so that he can still be entertained by their stupid decisions. 

Humanity doesn't stand a chance. 

7 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

This episode shows why the Night King will win. He plans ahead. He rides a horse instead of walking. He brings javelins and chains "just in case". Stupid humans cross the wall for a wight and the Night King waits for them to come so he can get his dragon. He could have killed Drogon with javelin instead of Visereon but he them live...so that he can still be entertained by their stupid decisions. 

Humanity doesn't stand a chance. 

I fear they'll pull a Ramsay on the NK. Initially Ramsay was this guy who could scare Ironborn so much they went running, all because he wore no shirt and was about to open one dog cage. Then he became a super cunning guy who could destroy all of Stannis' food and make his horses flee with 20 good men. He outsmarted his dad. Had people ally with him for no reason. Was about to win the battle, but then suddenly fucks up. Or maybe they'll do a LF on him next season: lukring and smirking in dark corners and start shit with letters. ;)

I like how Jon rejected Beric's suggestion of killing The Night's King and ending the horde right then and there because it would un-animate the wight they needed to use to prove to everyone the threat of the Night's King is real.

I mean, from the position they were in relative to the NK it was not a feasible plan, but Jon's objection very much wasn't "I can't get close enough to him for a shot" but "we can't kill him because then nobody will believe they need to help us kill him."

The show has conflated the finger pointing to the moon with the moon. 

Also their moon is stupid because why the fuck would any of them believe Cersei won't just double-cross them all even if she does believe them.

One of the most glaring symptoms of them rushing from plot point to plot point without heed for whether the bridges between plot points make sense.

11 hours ago, Smallfolksman said:

Setting up a scene where UnMountain gets close to the wight, which serves as hotspot for spooky NK/WW magic, becomes wight himself, attempts to murder everyone in sight including Cersei (convincing her of the reality of WW/AotD threat?), then gets killed by Hound (bonus points if he does it with fire)?

(I actually started a separate thread about this possibility, but it is still in pre-moderation.)

That sounds awesome and way cleverer than the wight hunt plot has shown any evidence of being. Therefore, I say it won't happen. 

11 hours ago, madscientist596 said:

I disagree-- its insulting to the viewer when we do know that Jon (or Jamie--last week) is 'safe' and yet they put a forced 'suspension' into the show.  We all know they are coming back next week.  Its insulting when regular TV does it, it is still insulting here.  So while yes, you can't kill off Jon, this whole teaser thing where the char is 'dead' or in 'mortal danger' --but not really-- rips you out of the immersion of the show.  Instead of OMG Jon just went under the water, its 'ok how does he get out of this one'. 

The "how does he get out of this one" gimmick can pay off. In Hardhome I was under no illusion that Jon was in mortal danger, but I was wondering how he'd kill/escape from the White Walker. Then we discover Valyrian steel has a purpose. I don't know about you, but I got a thrill out of seeing the Ice Demon being unable to shatter Longclaw. It was a high moment in an otherwise crappy season. 

Last night, on the other hand, we don't even see how Jon overcomes being tackled by zombies into a frozen lake. He just climbs out, somehow. Oh. Then Unle Ben arrives. Okay. 

4 hours ago, Illiterati said:

If you consider that the night king was waiting for....dragons....the scene makes more sense.  It would also explain why they had the chains.  NK has seen this movie before.

There are three possibilities here:

1. The NK was literally delayed by a bit of water. This is the stupidest, but the most likely

2. It was a Batman Gambits aka a "clever" trap that only works if everyone and everything acts exactly as expected.

I hate Batman Gambits in general. I think they're very tropey and are more about writers trying to show off than stories making sense. 

There are too many things that the NK couldn't have counted on.

3. He had foreseen this. I don't love this either, but it's the best possibility. But if this is the case, it must be treated consistently. We have to assume he knows everything everyone will do. Otherwise it comes off as arbitrary as hell.

Finally, in either 2 or 3, it still doesn't make sense why he doesn't immediately kill them anyway. The trap has already been set and the Raven sent. What's the point of keeping them alivee if Dany is already coming? Just stand with your spear ready for a surprise attack when she flies in for a look.

In fact, use the newly wighted hunting party to bait her.

I really hated Arya's "Oh yeah, tell that to Lyanna Mormont!" line. Why, because Lady Grrl Power wouldn't give in to any Lannister guff? Leave me in a room with Lyanna Mormont for 15 minutes and I'd have her signing anything I want. And I don't even know anything about torture. 

They didn't torture Sansa, admittedly. (At least not then. Joffrey tortured her later, but that was just to let off some steam.) Arya probably would've dared them to rough her up a bit in similar circumstances. But I didn't see her saying "What are you babies whinging about?" when she and her fellow captives at Harrenhal were awaiting the bucket treatment. Arya faced rough physical treatment in Braavos, plus she had to be blind for a while. But she was never really tortured like she imagines them doing to her in Sansa's position. So how does she know what she'd be able to withstand?

Anyway, as Sansa snaps back without making it explicit, Sansa suffered more at the hands (and other body parts) of Ramsey Snowton than Arya has in her life. (I suppose going magically blind could drive one crazy, but Arya took it well all things considered). So shut up, bratty little sister. 

Why didn't Dany fly north of the wall the first time Jon came to Dragonstone and mentioned the undead?  If it takes less than half a day to fly there, why wouldn't that be the first thing she did?  It would prove or disprove Jon's claim and let her know if she could trust him or not without question.  The only logical reason not to do that is if the distance is way too far for it to be reasonable...

This has probably been touched upon by other posters, but why are there no reaction shots from the members of the Fellowship when they encounter zombies/a White Walker? I don't remember whether Tormund was around for Hardhome. Let's assume Jon, Tormund, and the Redshirt Wildlings have been there, done that. What about everyone else? 

Shouldn't at least one of Jorah/Gendry/the Hound/Beric/Topknot have an OMG face?I'm talking 2 seconds of screen time to mark what a Big Deal it is to see humanity's great enemy. 

8 minutes ago, darmody said:

I really hated Arya's "Oh yeah, tell that to Lyanna Mormont!" line. Why, because Lady Grrl Power wouldn't give in to any Lannister guff? Leave me in a room with Lyanna Mormont for 15 minutes and I'd have her signing anything I want. And I don't even know anything about torture. 

Moreover does Arya even know Lyanna? When would she have ever interacted with her in the past 5 years, or was she an equally rough and tough 6 year old?

Archived