[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

13 minutes ago, darmody said:

This has probably been touched upon by other posters, but why are there no reaction shots from the members of the Fellowship when they encounter zombies/a White Walker? I don't remember whether Tormund was around for Hardhome. Let's assume Jon, Tormund, and the Redshirt Wildlings have been there, done that. What about everyone else? 

Shouldn't at least one of Jorah/Gendry/the Hound/Beric/Topknot have an OMG face?I'm talking 2 seconds of screen time to mark what a Big Deal it is to see humanity's great enemy. 

Lol, good point. You'd think if Jon had to go to all this trouble to PROVE his claims, SOMEONE might be shocked. But then again, they all kind of were like, "yep, let's go north! Great danger and adventure awaits!"

I'm just starting my second viewing as I go to bed. Does anyone else find it ironic that one of the best show intros in history with such a cool song is a ONLY A FUCKING MAP OF WESTEROS!? Yeah, it escaped me too. Makes the dumb shit we all know about ravens and miles (kilometers for the rest of the world) even more annoying now. 

I should like to point out that in this, the Season of Reunions, they're going to hold back reunions the audience is really waiting for because they're busy with several Idiot Plots.

I mean, we'll probably get Tryion/Cheryl next week, as well as Tyrion/Pod. There's Larry/Brienne, but they saw eachother last year, so big whoop. Maybe Hound/Mountain (though not in the Cleganebowl; at most, the Hound wondering "What the hell happened to him?") and Hound/Brienne.  But no Jon/Arya, Hound/Arya, or Gendry/Arya til next season. Which I suppose is just as well, because the Arya they knew doesn't exist anymore. 

No Sam/Jon, probably. How long has that been? Season Five, before Jon died. No Jon/Ghost, which has been over a year. There are a few lesser reunions, too, like Hound/Sansa, Jon/Bran, and I guess it's not technically a reunion but I'd like to see Jorah/Lady Mormont.

They did a pretty bad job with most of the reunions.

Having the first reunion be Jon and Sansa, the two who had the least in common and never even had a scene together, was poor plotting.  

The Sansa/Bran, Sansa/Arya and Bran/Arya reunions were rushed and not very emotionally compelling, they didn't feel "big".

Jon and Arya should be epic, it will probably fall flat.  

11 hours ago, Sir Dingleberry said:

Small rant: Arya was at her father's beheading, so she would have seen Sansa yelling at Joffrey to stop.  Also, she worked for Tywin at that castle (Harrenhall?), so is D&D just hoping we forgot that or what?

Being Tywin's cupbearer and not having the future architect of her brother and mother's murder assassinated when she had multiple opportunities--for no other apparent reason than he was nice to her--doesn't count because...Hey, look behind you! [D&D jump out the window while your back is turned.]

I will always defend Arya Stark. :) Whether she is right or wrong, weak or strong, I will serve the Princess of Winterfell with all my power. Sansa can go choke on power for all I care. I would raise Arya up as the Assassin Queen if I could, and silence all dissent with brutal massacres and secret polices'. That is how far I am willing to defend her on the show and in the books. 

Come at me, bro. Come at me, sis.

I will not yield to criticism!

1 minute ago, Tadco26 said:

Remember when a single wight was a huge threat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2TlSM-2SyI&t=1m22s

Now they die in one hit like video game minions.  They were so easy to kill that it makes the threat seem trivial.

The action last episode was so BORING. Just aimless hacking and swinging. Combined with the drones dying with the queen bee aspect and the wright army just looks pathetic. 6+ freezing and stamina-dependent humans were able to amass a pile of corpses. 

How do these kills even work? If an undead giant were to attack and you stab him with your dragonglass kitchen knife or hit him with some dragonglass arrow tip , would he die immediately? Cause atm it looks like he'd die immediately which kinda sucks and takes away their threat. 

1 minute ago, Tadco26 said:

And if a Dragon glass weapon just hitting the wight kills it in the show, then why didn't they bring dragon glass arrows and bows?

Because show Jon is braindead. 

This is the same guy who....

1. Banished his get out of death free card 

2. Charged an entire army by himself 

3. Refused to escape with his allies and instead opted to keep killing wights because reasons. 

8 hours ago, xjlxking said:

I'm not debating. I'm calling people out on  stuff they shouldn't be ranting about.

Next people are going to rant about how they haven't seen Jon take a piss in the toilet for 7 season. 

Basically, like I said, I don't mind a thread about complaint regarding legitimate issues or things.

If I'm making toast for breakfast and I burn it a little, then Gordan Ramsey materializes and starts screaming about how its the worst toast he's ever seen, I'll be understandably annoyed. If I serve him a slice of toast that's burnt, that on me. Get it?

7 hours ago, iprayiam said:

The problem with this take is that it basically has to make the NK omniscient. He at a minimum would have to have known:

• That there are dragons
  • That has the dragons had an owner(s)
  • That the party he had surrounded was associated with the dragon owner
  • That Gendry would make it back to the wall
  • That he would send a raven explaining the situation
  • That the dragon owner would respond by coming to the rescue with the dragons
  • That in the ensuing rescue he would have an extremely good chance at bagging a dragon and not burned to death

Think about it. It is implied strongly that Dany's rescue was related to her feelings for Jon, so the NK would not just need to know that all these people exist in the first place, know eachother, and are in a position to be capable of helping each other. He would also need to be intimately familiar with Dany's personality  and feelings for Jon to the point of predicting her reaction. It wasn't a given that anyone in her situation would have come to the rescue.

On top of that, he would have had to be really really sure it would play out in his favor to be worth the risk. I mean three fire breathing dragons pose a great risk to decimating the army he's assemble. It's quite a gamble.

For me to believe that it was pre-planned requires a level of omniscience and/or recklessness that feels like complete garbage and really takes me out of believing it. The only way for me to accept this whole scenario is if the NK turns out to be Bran all along.

Of course, the alternative is that the NK, prepared enough to have giant chains on hand just in case he came across a dragon, literally spent a day(s?) stumped by a little bit of water between his entire army and 7 freezing dudes.

You overestimate the knowledge required. All the Night King would need is a vision like the Hound's: something telling him he'll be surrounding a group of humans when dragons show up and that this is *really important*. If, as some people speculate, the dragon can get him over the Wall, it would be worth it. 

Even if it would require God-like knowledge, we already know Bran sees all, don't we? And Bran and the Night King have some sort of weird connection. Not a giant leap to think he can see the future, too. 

59 minutes ago, Lost Time said:

The action last episode was so BORING. Just aimless hacking and swinging. Combined with the drones dying with the queen bee aspect and the wright army just looks pathetic. 6+ freezing and stamina-dependent humans were able to amass a pile of corpses. 

How do these kills even work? If an undead giant were to attack and you stab him with your dragonglass kitchen knife or hit him with some dragonglass arrow tip , would he die immediately? Cause atm it looks like he'd die immediately which kinda sucks and takes away their threat. 

Meaning that zombie Vyserion really isn't much of a threat, if all it takes is raining dragonglass arrows at him and he will shutter to million pieces.

1 hour ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

I will always defend Arya Stark. :) Whether she is right or wrong, weak or strong, I will serve the Princess of Winterfell with all my power. Sansa can go choke on power for all I care. I would raise Arya up as the Assassin Queen if I could, and silence all dissent with brutal massacres and secret polices'. That is how far I am willing to defend her on the show and in the books. 

Come at me, bro. Come at me, sis.

I will not yield to criticism!

Has anyone else noticed how Arya has kinda turned into an annoying little s*it? 

On 8/20/2017 at 8:18 PM, teej6 said:

Thanks for starting this thread! Really need it. 

Where do I begin. This show has literally gone to the dogs. Every time you think it can’t get any worse, they prove you wrong. This is going to be a long rant: 

So the merry band of seven go to the North without any dragonglass weapons? Wasn’t that the whole point of Jon going to Dragonstone? They even show them mining the stuff in the last episode but Jon decides to go North to catch a wight (ugh) with no dragonglass. Brilliant!

Then we have them merrily chatting and catching up (Gendry and the Hound still don’t mention Arya to Jon) and bonding, although I must say I really liked Tormund, especially his banter with the Hound. All is well till the wights appear and then Gendry, the Olympian distance runner, who’s never seen snow runs in freezing temperature back to Eastwatch in record time. All that rowing must have prepared him for this dash. Magic seems to have not just created WWs and dragons but it also seems to distorted time and distance in Westeros. While Gendry is making his sprint in record time, the other six having a staring competition with the WWs and their undead army. I wonder why the wights didn’t cross the frozen lake cause in Hardome they didn’t have a problem making a suicidal jump from a cliff.

Then the light speed raven reaches Dany at Dragonstone and she’s rushing to save her new found love against the better judgment of her Hand (IIRC correctly wasn’t this stupid wight hunt Tyrion’s grand idea in the first place). So Dany swoops down with her three dragons to save the day and instead of having her dragons burn the NK and the other WWs who are on a hilltop and easy target the dragons burn a few mindless wights. And then we have brave Jon continue to go on killing the wights instead of hopping onto Drogon giving the NK (another Olympian) ample time to aim and fire his spear at Viserion. So so some reason the NK didn't aim at Drogon who is on the ground and closer. Nor does he try and kill Jon and Co with his javelin throwing ability instead just stares at them.

When Jon is overpowered by wights, lo and behold deus ex machina uncle Benjen with his fireball shows up. Benjen seems to have a sixth sense when one of his nephews are getting attacked by the wights. Well if the showrunners had some sense they’d have shown that Bran sent Benjen. But of course they didn't. They’ll expect the mindless herd that watches this show and thinks its high art to make their own apologetic excuses for this abomination.

I don’t even want to talk about the Winterfell plot. Arya is gone fully blown cray cray and nearly frightens poor Sansa to death. And Sansa is like everyone should kneel and thank me for saving the North. Ugh, can it get any worse than this.  

Then of course we have the onset of romantic feelings between Jon and Dany and Jon says you are my queen now and always and I will bend the knee. Aww isn’t that sweet. All it took is the death of one of Dany’s dragons.

All the NK had to do to resurrect Viserion was to gently stroke the dead dragon’s head and presto! a wighted dragon. And his undead army pulling Viserion out of the frozen lake with some really massive chains. Do the undead know how to work iron? It almost seems like the NK was marching his zombie army at snail pace so he could be at the right place at the right time to get his zombie mount. Oh yes I forgot, he was having his minions make those massive chains, that’s what slowed them down.

The only thing I liked about this episode was Tormund and the Hound, and also Arya’s story about Ned.

I wonder what horror they’ve written up for the final season. I’m also concerned that some of this rubbish (not the wight hunt of course), such as, a wighted dragon might end up in the books.  Let’s just hope that GRRM just told them who sits the IT in the end and who survives and nothing else.  There was a leaked email making the rounds that GRRM put his foot down on something related to S8. Well, maybe there’s still some hope and the end of this shitfest will still be how things end in the books. But then again, when S7 was leaked, I thought to myself not even D&D can write something so stupid and awful. But I was so wrong.

Word

I just wish they would have expanded the scene to show the wights swimming to the bottom of the lake and coordinating their activities in chaining the dragon ready to move.

With this level of dexterity and awareness I could see an entirely new endgame for next season.

Perhaps John kills the nights king but at the same time Bran takes over control. It would be a fantastic business opportunity. He could rent them out at wight butlers, wight nannies, wight blacksmiths what have you. Hot Pie could use a bakers assistant. And for those customers with an exotic taste Littlefinger could bring some into his brothels....

15 minutes ago, george said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE GET DANY SOME GLOVES AND A FACE WRAP???!!

I can understand the need of visual mediums to avoid headgear or helmets. On one side it makes more difficult to distinguish between characters, on the other it covers the facial acting. Though I guess neither would have been a real problem in Dani's case. 

Archived