[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

1 hour ago, iprayiam said:

Yes it reminds me of Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles. If I remember my childhood correctly, in the first episode/encounter the Putties/Foot Soldiers/thugs are a real threat that nearly beat the heros. By episode two, they fall apart just by looking at them.

This trope is tedious and it always sucks. It sucked in Age of Ultron, and it sucks here

Which is creepier... Alien (the first one with just one alien you only half-see) or Aliens where you see hundreds of 'em and know pretty much everything about them? Why is Lovecraft so damn good? Because he never fully lifted the veil of mistery.

2 hours ago, fairwarging said:

Wouldn't it just look like a regular decomposing polar bear? I think they would be laughed at if their specimen wasn't living. 

Well remember that time Ser Alliser was supposed to take a dead wights hand to kings landing...

51 minutes ago, JonSansaBranArya said:

Not a rant or rave but is it sad, Jon has more chemistry with his "sisters" than Daenerys? 

Name a character Jon has interacted with that he DOESN'T have more chemistry with than Daedpan. Seriously he probably had more chemistry with Stannis :lol:

On 21.08.2017 at 4:18 AM, teej6 said:

Thanks for starting this thread! Really need it. 

Where do I begin. This show has literally gone to the dogs. Every time you think it can’t get any worse, they prove you wrong. This is going to be a long rant: 

So the merry band of seven go to the North without any dragonglass weapons? Wasn’t that the whole point of Jon going to Dragonstone? They even show them mining the stuff in the last episode but Jon decides to go North to catch a wight (ugh) with no dragonglass. Brilliant!

Then we have them merrily chatting and catching up (Gendry and the Hound still don’t mention Arya to Jon) and bonding, although I must say I really liked Tormund, especially his banter with the Hound. All is well till the wights appear and then Gendry, the Olympian distance runner, who’s never seen snow runs in freezing temperature back to Eastwatch in record time. All that rowing must have prepared him for this dash. Magic seems to have not just created WWs and dragons but it also seems to distorted time and distance in Westeros. While Gendry is making his sprint in record time, the other six having a staring competition with the WWs and their undead army. I wonder why the wights didn’t cross the frozen lake cause in Hardome they didn’t have a problem making a suicidal jump from a cliff.

Then the light speed raven reaches Dany at Dragonstone and she’s rushing to save her new found love against the better judgment of her Hand (IIRC correctly wasn’t this stupid wight hunt Tyrion’s grand idea in the first place). So Dany swoops down with her three dragons to save the day and instead of having her dragons burn the NK and the other WWs who are on a hilltop and easy target the dragons burn a few mindless wights. And then we have brave Jon continue to go on killing the wights instead of hopping onto Drogon giving the NK (another Olympian) ample time to aim and fire his spear at Viserion. So so some reason the NK didn't aim at Drogon who is on the ground and closer. Nor does he try and kill Jon and Co with his javelin throwing ability instead just stares at them.

When Jon is overpowered by wights, lo and behold deus ex machina uncle Benjen with his fireball shows up. Benjen seems to have a sixth sense when one of his nephews are getting attacked by the wights. Well if the showrunners had some sense they’d have shown that Bran sent Benjen. But of course they didn't. They’ll expect the mindless herd that watches this show and thinks its high art to make their own apologetic excuses for this abomination.

I don’t even want to talk about the Winterfell plot. Arya is gone fully blown cray cray and nearly frightens poor Sansa to death. And Sansa is like everyone should kneel and thank me for saving the North. Ugh, can it get any worse than this.  

Then of course we have the onset of romantic feelings between Jon and Dany and Jon says you are my queen now and always and I will bend the knee. Aww isn’t that sweet. All it took is the death of one of Dany’s dragons.

All the NK had to do to resurrect Viserion was to gently stroke the dead dragon’s head and presto! a wighted dragon. And his undead army pulling Viserion out of the frozen lake with some really massive chains. Do the undead know how to work iron? It almost seems like the NK was marching his zombie army at snail pace so he could be at the right place at the right time to get his zombie mount. Oh yes I forgot, he was having his minions make those massive chains, that’s what slowed them down.

The only thing I liked about this episode was Tormund and the Hound, and also Arya’s story about Ned.

I wonder what horror they’ve written up for the final season. I’m also concerned that some of this rubbish (not the wight hunt of course), such as, a wighted dragon might end up in the books.  Let’s just hope that GRRM just told them who sits the IT in the end and who survives and nothing else.  There was a leaked email making the rounds that GRRM put his foot down on something related to S8. Well, maybe there’s still some hope and the end of this shitfest will still be how things end in the books. But then again, when S7 was leaked, I thought to myself not even D&D can write something so stupid and awful. But I was so wrong.

They had dragonglass. Tormund's weapon was dragonglass, as were Jorah's daggers. The Hound also uses dragonglass after realizing Gendry's hammer is useless.

The real stupidity is that the show has decided that dragonglass and Valyrian steel now kill wights, even though in previous seasons it was clearly established that only fire could stop a wight.

I agree with most of your other points.

The show is unbelievably idiotic at this point.

On 21.08.2017 at 4:34 AM, Bob0 said:

Gendry says "Do bears have blue eyes?".  I don't know why he says this because the bear shown clearly does not.  Did they forget to put that in?

Arya missed the part in her Faceless man training where they would have told her that a bag under a bed is not a good hiding place.

The bear did have blue eyes.

On 21.08.2017 at 5:12 AM, storm.131 said:

This thread will break all records in length:  there was so much to rant and rave about in this episode LOL

I'll choose just one thing:  only fire stops the Wights, Jon know this, yet they wasted so much time and energy swinging their weapons at them?  WTF?!?!?

They changed the lore on the show. In both Episodes 2 and 3 of this season, they say that dragonglass kills both White Walkers and wights. Jon says it in Ep. 2, Tyrion in Ep. 3.

Dave Hill, one of D&D's assistants, said the same thing in an interview recently. Dragonglass on the show kills wights. Valyrian steel does too apparently, because we see Jon slash several wights in this episode, and they all fall and stop moving after a single hit.

5 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

Ah bless - the director doesn't get the criticism. Perhaps we should enlighten him ...

http://www.newsweek.com/game-thrones-season-7-pace-criticism-director-alan-taylor-653038

This enrages me way more than the stupid plotholes and all: The people involved in making this show take a huge dump on the exact people, who even made this show the big success it is: geeks and hardcore fans.

Of course the show is a success now, and of course people watch that crap. I heard people say, they like this season best so far because earlier there was too much boring, talkative scenes that they could not follow.

It's okay to make pulp. But just don't flatter yourself by believing the success is because of the high quality of the writing or anything.

10 minutes ago, Maester Murks said:

This enrages me way more than the stupid plotholes and all: The people involved in making this show take a huge dump on the exact people, who even made this show the big success it is: geeks and hardcore fans.

Of course the show is a success now, and of course people watch that crap. I heard people say, they like this season best so far because earlier there was too much boring, talkative scenes that they could not follow.

It's okay to make pulp. But just don't flatter yourself by believing the success is because of the high quality of the writing or anything.

Concur.  I personally got more than 30 people to watch the show and they in turn got others into it.  It is the ASOIAF fans who made this a huge a success and these arrogant cocksuckers dismiss us.

45 minutes ago, NickStark2494 said:

They changed the lore on the show. In both Episodes 2 and 3 of this season, they say that dragonglass kills both White Walkers and wights. Jon says it in Ep. 2, Tyrion in Ep. 3.

Dave Hill, one of D&D's assistants, said the same thing in an interview recently. Dragonglass on the show kills wights. Valyrian steel does too apparently, because we see Jon slash several wights in this episode, and they all fall and stop moving after a single hit.

Yup, and they had to do that to downplay fire's power to instantly break the wight spell. In the books Sam stuffs a hot coal of a banked fire into Small Paul's wight mouth and the spell is broken, like that. But here a wighted bear keeps fighting and attacking while he's completely lit and only the dragonglass dagger does the trick. They needed the fire to work on the bear only slowly, so they could have him do his damage in the episode. But they needed wights to drop on contact with dragonglass, otherwise they couldn't do a prolonged fight scene with just that small a group, before the dragons arrive.

They altered the lore in order to have their cool fighting and stunt scenes.

On 21.08.2017 at 5:15 AM, Raksha 2014 said:

I think the show has a serious problem portraying strong women.  They had Brienne, one of the most emotionally strong and compassionate women ever born in Westeros, torture the rapists before she killed them (whether or not they deserved it, it's not something Brienne would have done).  They had TV-Ellaria, who in the books was original enough in thought in word to speak up for not continuing an inter-generational revenge plot that could kill her daughters as it had her late lover, avenge her late lover by murdering his brother and nephew and nephew's fiancee.  They had the Waif, who, in the books was a teacher-sort-of-person (If I remember right), torment and then nearly kill Arya.  I'm not going to mention the wreck that was the TV-Sand Snakes.  And now Arya has turned on her sister and is threatening to kill her because Sansa isn't wearing a Jon Snow King in the North T-shirt or something?  

I can only hope that Sansa and Arya will manage to reconcile soon.  As of now, Arya, who was once almost the epitome of Stark-ness, is a danger to Winterfell.

The show has no idea what a strong female character should be. The epitome of their disastrous handling of that concept was Ellaria telling Doran that weak men would never rule Dorne again, as she watched him die.

On 21 August 2017 at 8:20 AM, Table8 said:

Nope.  The show has always had dumb fans.  They remained dumb, and d&d decide that's as good enough of a fan base to cater towards.  Why not #werichbich

Dumb and Dumber and their legions of dumb brain dead fans

1 hour ago, Maester Murks said:

I'm not a bookreader, but the writing in the first 4 seasons was brilliant.  There has been a discrete change in writing once they ran out of book.  It was the great writing alongside boobs that got me hooked to the show.

3 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Dracarys!

That's way too much emotion, man. This word is supposed to be said looking downwards at an angle, while not moving anything. In fact, it would be best of you'd botox your face, or at the very least your forehead, to avoid any emotive facial twitches whatsoever. Then pretend you're wearing a neck brace, have had a sore throat for a month, and whisperbreathe

- dracarys -

1 minute ago, lidsa said:

That's way too much emotion, man. This word is supposed to be said looking downwards at an angle, while not moving anything. In fact, it would be best of you'd botox your face, or at the very least your forehead, to avoid any emotive facial twitches whatsoever. Then pretend you're wearing a neck brace, have had a sore throat for a month, and whisperbreathe

- dracarys -

Damn you - spilled my Whiskey due to laughing over the keyboard!

The scene between Jon and Dany in the end was soooo cheesy you could make a fondue out of it (as Gordon Ramsay would say).

I had some flashbacks of BoB during the episodes. Jon seems always ready for a last battle, then he wouldn't have had all these responsibilities people give him for whatever reasons. He just "I just die heroic death here. Shit, I was saved again!"

Archived