[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

The Inside in episode gives us a glimpse into D&D thought process.

They tell us that they had to think of a way on how to get all of these characters out of this situation alive when they are surrounded by zombies. That is why they came up with this island the group could stay on. So, basically, they thought everything was ok up to that point and when encountered such a dilemma, they just went further with it without rethinking the whole plot. These guys are earning millions while some random people on the forum come up with better ideas. For example, why Benjen could not arrive earlier and take Jon's role in fighting and drowning? I mean this would be still be one of most cringeworthy GoT scenes, but at least it would not be as terrible. Use Bran instead of Ravens, have Dany travel to the wall beforehand, sooo many options even if you are not rethinking the whole wight hunt thing.
The most frustrating part though is that GoT youtube section and other places are filled with highly upvoted comments like these:

"Whiny/bitchy book readers coming"
"Best episode ever"

It's like people lack critical thinking at all and you are not allowed to criticize their favorite show. oh, btw, this episode has 9.5 rating on imdb or something like that.

It's practically criminal what has happened to Littlefinger. For me, the entire draw of the setting is primarily the intrigue going on both behind the scenes and in plain view. Littlefinger interacts with most of the major players, whispering in their ears and exploiting what opportunities emerge for him. I'm fine with him losing - though having two teenage girls serve as his downfall is just silly. He's self serving and manipulative but he's also highly intelligent and has proven more than capable of slipping away when his advantage is lost.

4 hours ago, darmody said:

Jon Snow knows nothing, including the fact that he's always trying to get killed. He just does it, because Starks are like that. (Quick tempers, slow minds.) Even ones who are Targaryens. 

Last season there was a brilliant parody of Battle of the Bastards with Jon as Leroy Jenkins. What if Leroy Jenkins somehow lived long enough for his team to win every engagement despite him? That's Jon. 

He's Leroy Jenkins-ing his way to being the greatest hero in the history of Westeros. 

LOL, that Leeroy Jenkins video is hilarious.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/21/game-of-thrones-stars-arya-tension/

Interview with Weiss, Cogman and Turner about the tensions between Sansa and Arya:

Weiss: “They’ve all become very different people.

Cogman: “Sansa and Arya are characters who were never close and never particularly liked each other and have been through so much. Now they have more in common than either are probably willing to recognize.

Turner: “In the books, it says something about how Arya and Sansa are different sides of the same coin. They love each other but they’re so different.

Hahahaha, so many contradictions in a single interview. Are these people really working together?

19 hours ago, Rubicante said:

The more I think about this, the more it's starting to make sense.

We've all been wondering why the army of the dead just stood there staring at Jon's group, attempting to do nothing to get to the island.  I think the Night's King worried that if he made even one slight movement, then the captured wight would be harmed.  And being a man of the people, this was a risk he wasn't willing to take.  What he truly wanted was to parley with Jon over the captured wight, but he didn't know how to initiate the parley or communicate with Jon.  Hence the awkwardness of the Night's king standing there essentially motionless.  He was completely baffled as to how to peacefully resolve this situation.

However, when the hound tossed that rock and knocked part of that one wight's face off, the Night's King at this point realized there was nothing he could do to save the wight.  Nor could he tolerate such aggression towards one of his own.  He then allowed his army to attack, albeit reluctantly.

Your explanations definitely make more sense than the explanation from the show.

Maybe the Night King has greenseeing abilities, knew that Dany would come with her dragons when the suicide squad is in danger and simply wanted a knew wight-dragon. So he trapped the group, let Gendry call for help and waited for Daenerys. My only problem ist, the show never indicated that the Night King has such abilities, he can only sense greenseeing Bran, when Bran is watching him and give him a look so that Bran has to leave.

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/21/game-of-thrones-stars-arya-tension/

Interview with Weiss, Cogman and Turner about the tensions between Sansa and Arya:

Weiss: “They’ve all become very different people.

Cogman: “Sansa and Arya are characters who were never close and never particularly liked each other and have been through so much. Now they have more in common than either are probably willing to recognize.

Turner: “In the books, it says something about how Arya and Sansa are different sides of the same coin. They love each other but they’re so different.

Hahahaha, so many contradictions in a single interview. Are these people really working together?

The interviews from "Inside the Episode" this season regarding Winterfell plot have pissed me off no end. It seems D&D have zero understanding of either Arya or Sansa as characters and are just making shit up as they go and creating bogus tension while they are at it. Awful.

12 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It's obviously just him being diplomatic, he watches NFL games every Sunday during the football season and he watches other TV shows like Outlander, there is no way time is the reason he doesn't watch.

I thought i read somewhere the he doesn't watch it because he does not want the show to influence his writing.

8 hours ago, fairwarging said:

She could have taken her down a peg if she had used logical arguments like "Why didn't you tell Jon about the Vale Army?" But it seemed like she more freaked her and disgusted her by threatening to cut off her face! 

If Arya had asked that question, Sansa may have answered: "For Dramatic Reasons", as Sophie Turner responded when asked this question during a Comic Com Q&A.

8 hours ago, darmody said:

Well, they shared the Red Witch (in a manner of speaking). He *definitely* had more of the appropriate kind of chemistry with her.

You'd think all they'd have to do is stick two attractive, young actors in a room, tell them they're hot for eachother, and yell, "Action!" The fans would fill in their motivations for them. 

But no. I watched a montage of their lovey-doveyness on YouTube out of morbid curiosity, and it was one shot after another of blank faces. They lacked the emotion of a marginally hungry man looking at a cheese sandwich. 

Who shared Mel? Jon and Stannis?

Jon never hooked up with Mel. He felt her up but that's it. Stannis would have executed Jon if he had fallen for Mel (luckily Jon was smart back then in the show. Now he probably would fall for her smh)

Jon and Mel did have more chemistry but that's probably largely due to Carice Van Houten being an excellent actress while Emilia Clarke is horrendous. 

Jon had his best chemistry by far with Ygritte, obviously. 

6 hours ago, Duckface said:

The Inside in episode gives us a glimpse into D&D thought process.

They tell us that they had to think of a way on how to get all of these characters out of this situation alive when they are surrounded by zombies. That is why they came up with this island the group could stay on. So, basically, they thought everything was ok up to that point and when encountered such a dilemma, they just went further with it without rethinking the whole plot. These guys are earning millions while some random people on the forum come up with better ideas. For example, why Benjen could not arrive earlier and take Jon's role in fighting and drowning? I mean this would be still be one of most cringeworthy GoT scenes, but at least it would not be as terrible. Use Bran instead of Ravens, have Dany travel to the wall beforehand, sooo many options even if you are not rethinking the whole wight hunt thing.
The most frustrating part though is that GoT youtube section and other places are filled with highly upvoted comments like these:

"Whiny/bitchy book readers coming"
"Best episode ever"

It's like people lack critical thinking at all and you are not allowed to criticize their favorite show. oh, btw, this episode has 9.5 rating on imdb or something like that.

It perfectly illustrates why the show is full of plot holes.  Because they come up with a scene/a visual and then they attempt to work the plot around it.  Better writers would have given up on the wight hunt for the very reason that it cannot be sustained without 2 or 3 deus ex machina moments.  And sticking Benjen in there was pure stupidity anyway, given how many of their own rules they'd already broken....and making Jon even more suicidal by refusing to get on the dragon express.  It's no wonder that this level of so much bad writing condensed into a few minutes finally woke up so many people to how poorly constructed the show has become.

I don't expect it will affect ratings because GOT is almost over and people will stick around for the final 6 episodes.  Also, a lot of people are watching just for the spectacle.  Dragons!!  Battles!!  Explosions!!!!

11 hours ago, Yoren Luck said:

I keep forgetting to bring this up and just remembered when posting in another thread, but one more minor rant I have is that Cersei already is employing an undead minion ad a bodyguard.  No wight from north of the wall is going to scare her into joining the Dany/Jon alliance and fighting for the greater good.  If anything, Qyburn will want to study the damn thing and she'll plot to form an alliance with the Night King.

Granted, the other characters don't know about the Mountain being undead yet, but this seems like a minor plot hole that has been bugging me lately.  Are we supposed to believe that Cersei is going to see this undead soldier and fear it, when she is literally protected by an undead soldier?

Part of me is wondering if we are going to get a shocking death in the scene where Cersei grants all of her enemies an audience in the "dragon pit" area. She's not going to get Sansa but she now has John, Tyrion, Gendry, and others right there in front of her. Will we finally see The Mountain unleashed? Does she have another trap in mind? The Episode 07 finale preview just had me thinking about this.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:10 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is really the first time this season that the teleportation has bothered me. I don't mind them skipping the travel montages; what I do mind is Gendry being able to run back to Eastwatch, send a raven all the way to Dragonstone, and have Dany fly up to beyond the Wall in a matter of a few hours. Why not just have Dany leave on her own shortly after the men do? It doesn't take much thought to realize that having three fire-breathing dragons around would be a great asset beyond the Wall.

And of course, there's the Winterfell plot. Ugh.

I feel the same way about the teleportation. I was able to overlook it until this season. Suspension of disbelief has its limits.

The "teleportation" issue has been over criticized the show has much more serious plot problems than people moving around faster.

The issue is when they have something happening where it all has to be within the same timeframe....like in the wight hunt, it showcases their disregard for realism.  They did the same thing with Stannis battle/Sansa leaving WF/arriving at the Wall/Mel leaving/arriving...but no one cared at that time.  But, when it's all happening within a single timeline it's harder to hand wave away the fact that the show disregards it's own distances and previously set canon.

The wight hunt is being criticized because in addition to time problems, it's full of other levels of stupidity....NK can freeze fresh water, but doesn't; wights can't move in fresh water, but they can dive for a dragon, people stranded on an island, jon continuing to be suicidal, forged metal chains from a race that doesn't use metal, two or three deus ex machinas in a single segment, and on and on it goes.

7 hours ago, Duckface said:

Use Bran instead of Ravens

Oh yes, this sooooo much. Warged into a crow he finds just outside Dragonstone, he flies into the 'throne room' where D and T have that conversation. Crow starts screeching and jumping on their map-table, pecking at the mountains near Hardhome. Danny, since she knows some things (unlike our King of the North), feels something is off and understands. She leaves immediately for - you guessed it - Hardhome.

This way the get to kill two birds with stone, by making Bran - you know - not useless? Like he has the most powerful ability in the universe, he could see how the first men and children of the forest defeated the NK the first time, he could solve so many mysteries regarding it and not just for the people in GoT story, but for us as well. But nooooo, better go spy after people, telling them how beautiful they were when they were having sex/raped. That's the best use of his ability, ever.

7 hours ago, Duckface said:

Oh yes. Nonetheless, I imagine companies as big as HBO have like thousands of accounts on sites such as IMDB to rate their own stuff. It costs nothing but you get the bragging rights.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The "teleportation" issue has been over criticized the show has much more serious plot problems than people moving around faster.

The issue is when they have something happening where it all has to be within the same timeframe....like in the wight hunt, it showcases their disregard for realism.  They did the same thing with Stannis battle/Sansa leaving WF/arriving at the Wall/Mel leaving/arriving...but no one cared at that time.  But, when it's all happening within a single timeline it's harder to hand wave away the fact that the show disregards it's own distances and previously set canon.

The wight hunt is being criticized because in addition to time problems, it's full of other levels of stupidity....NK can freeze fresh water, but doesn't; wights can't move in fresh water, but they can dive for a dragon, people stranded on an island, jon continuing to be suicidal, forged metal chains from a race that doesn't use metal, two or three deus ex machinas in a single segment, and on and on it goes.

You're right. Teleportation is not the only problem this show has. It just stood out this time so much.

Speaking of highlighted - wanna bet that the NK will never again use his super javelin powers on the remaining dragons? And he won't do it despite it was proved as highly, HIGHLY effective. Practically, it takes a second to kill off a dragon.

10 hours ago, fairwarging said:

I hate that Dany and Jon's relationship is formed by other characters telling them it's forming. "I saw you staring at her." "Jon loves you!" Dany's "pining" look makes her look like a girl watching a romantic scene in a movie, not an experienced ruler falling in love in the midst of war.  Ygritte challenged Jon's stern and stuffy nature through her sexuality and wit, Dany in challenging him is even MORE stuffy.

Kit doesn't seem to have range but he has always being pretty good at portraying Jon (the looking sad even when he smiles actually suits his character), but Emilia needs a much larger range and she just doesn't have it. This couple is awful. 

I think its more the script, and the lack of character development of both characters. While Emilia, isn't meryl streep, i've seen her act well in particular scenes. Well, at least far better then she has in this or last years episodes. Same with Jon. like Jon and Ygritte played great off of each other because of great dialogue that was taken from the book. Motivations and thoughts from out of the book... shown and not told. Jon and Dany don't have that foundation. Like Dany's character seems to get worse, the further from the books we get. The script and plot writers for the show can't seem to capture the character that is daenerys targaryen as established by GRRM.

I think this is why they are going to end the show in 8 episodes... because they realize the difficulty of developing this particular story and adapting it to tv without the source material. Those inner monologues probably really helped in the earlier seasons to get a grasp for what and who these characters were. They could then show, without telling in other ways. All of that is gone. I believe after the show when people look back at it, they are going to "Star Wars-Prequal" it. After the show fandom dies down its going to get ugly.

4 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

You're right. Teleportation is not the only problem this show has. It just stood out this time so much.

Speaking of highlighted - wanna bet that the NK will never again use his super javelin powers on the remaining dragons? And he won't do it despite it was proved as highly, HIGHLY effective. Practically, it takes a second to kill off a dragon.

LOL, no doubt he will forget about his javelin olympic medal, like he forgot how he creates a freezing zone all around him, probably won't pull any more giant metal objects for reason other than 'visuals'.

I don't happen to agree that the NK is really Bran, that would turn the entire series into a time travel loop, which subverts everything else the author and the show have done to date, so I think the NK sat around not killing the Magnificent Seven Suicide Squad because the plot demanded he hang out until Dany arrived so he could bullseye a dragon....not because of any actual plot reasons or reasons that will become clear later.

I also agree that some eerie flock of ravens action to motivate Dany to leave Dragonstone would have been much preferable to the "fastest" person running to Eastwatch whose never even seen Winter and all the rest of it.  

10 hours ago, fairwarging said:

but from what I've heard GRRM is not an incest fan. 

Really that's kind of hard to believe considering this guy voluntarily wrote a series filled with it. He has to have spent a long time thinking about it.

It's honestly my biggest turn off to the whole series and has caused me to almost walk way from it on several occasions.

The series needs to steer clear of this with Jon and Dany. If they really wanted them together they should have skipped the R+L=J bit. Seriously, what does it add?

If Jon is already fire plus ice, him plus Dany is redundant. And vice versa

Archived