More holes in the plot than used fishnet stockings

Wolf's Bane

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I would have been more upset if it had been Rhaegal, but still plenty upset. Especially at Dany's lack of mourning, as she decided to focus more on Jon Snow. 

Seriously I was more heartbroken and upset about one of Dany's "children" getting killed than her character seemed to be in this episode. That bothered me too.

5 hours ago, ummester said:

Yea, attaching the chains is worse than having them - the show clearly showed zombies drowning in the water, so how did they get the chains down to the dragon?

No it didn't.  It showed them sinking in the water.  They certainly didn't drown, which is how two of them burst out of the water earlier in the battle after being submerged for a while.

55 minutes ago, Olorin81 said:

Seriously I was more heartbroken and upset about one of Dany's "children" getting killed than her character seemed to be in this episode. That bothered me too.

She was in tears about it.  What more do you want her to do?  Fly Drogon high in the sky and launch herself off of him Tommen style?

18 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

She was in tears about it.  What more do you want her to do?  Fly Drogon high in the sky and launch herself off of him Tommen style?

I guess he was questioning Emilia Clarke's acting skills. In that case he wouldn't be the only one. 

1 minute ago, 3sm1r said:

I guess he was questioning Emilia Clarke's acting skills. In that case he wouldn't be the only one. 

I think in this case it was spot on.  She knows she can't be a blubbering mess in front of others.  I thought it was actually very good how she looked like she was trying to desperately not fall apart.

But then some people just want to bash the show no matter what.  And good luck to them because they're the fools who watch it every week even though they hate it!

Just now, Banjo said:

And there are other TV shows. And this TV show was so much better in the previous seasons. What is even the point of your post?

It's a valid point they make.  TV is entertainment.  If it ceases being enjoyable.  You watch something else.

23 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

When someone's kid dies, they go into shock. There is no room for romance and thinking of others or even functioning normally for a while. You shed only tears for acquaintances or distance relatives

7 minutes ago, Banjo said:

When someone's kid dies, they go into shock. There is no room for romance and thinking of others or even functioning normally for a while. You shed only tears for acquaintances or distance relatives

Despite what she says, a Dragon is NOT a child.  In the same way you can have a puppy that grows into a Dog and you love that Dog with all your heart.  And then you fall in love and you realise that your love for the other person is 10x that of what you have for your Dog.  And then you have a kid and you realise the love for your child is 1000x of what the love is for your Dog.

Worse still... they had a long, nice lake to drag those chains across. Hundreds of wights per length of chain. Sounds like sufficient force to tear the dragon's head off pull the dragon out of the lake. I guess its neck would be pretty broken now, though. Effectively, they've hanged the dragon with iron collars, via the pull of chains and friction rather than the pull of gravity, but the same principle is at work. There would be a lot of dislocated disks in that dragon neck at the very least.

And for some reason, the work leader decided to let the front of the columns walk up a hill while pulling. Congratulations, all those men at the front are now worse than useless. The force they pull with would pull the chains taut - that is, a straight line from the top of the hillside to the dragon - thereby lifting the middle and end of the columns (who are still marching on flat ice) up in the air, instead of helping them put horizontal force on the dragon. Okay, arguably this is the direction they want to pull the dragon in in the first place (out of the ice instead of along the lakebed), but then the rear of the columns just weigh the chains down and pull in the wrong direction anyway. In either case, only half the men are actually doing something to get the dragon out of the lake, the other half are making it harder.

Rope pulling only helps when everybody is pulling in the same direction. These guys had a bend in the chains - against the direction of gravity, no less - which would make the contribution of roughly half the members completely useless. No wonder why we see the chains are actually quite slack between the dragon and the rearmost pullers.

Oh, and the timelines didn't quite add up either. But that has been extensively covered in this thread already. All I could contribute at this point was a bit of cable theory.

18 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

But then some people just want to bash the show no matter what.  And good luck to them because they're the fools who watch it every week even though they hate it!

I don't know, my friend, as long as they do it respectfully, they have the same right to criticize the show as the fans to praise it. Of course they watch it either way: despite the flaws, this show is something that has never been done before. 

2 minutes ago, 3sm1r said:

I don't know, my friend, as long as they do it respectfully, they have the same right to criticize the show as the fans to praise it. Of course they watch it either way: despite the flaws, this show is something that has never been done before. 

On this forum bashing the show respectfully just doesn't happen.  It's all out attack almost every time.  Personal attacks on D&D are especially welcome.

37 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think in this case it was spot on.  She knows she can't be a blubbering mess in front of others.  I thought it was actually very good how she looked like she was trying to desperately not fall apart.

You're right about that.

27 minutes ago, 3sm1r said:

Well, I give credit where credit is due. The CGI, the effects, the battles and so on became better with each season. The acting is good with exceptions in both directions (there are actors, who are better than others, and each actor has scenes, where he or she does better/worse).

But on the other side we have the main point of critic which is the plot. And the quality of the plot steadily declines in the last sessions. In my opinion the plot became really bad, when the writers move away from the story in the books or simply have to invent there own stories (because they dropped plots from the show or because they ran out of book material).

You can see this clearly after the death of Lysa Arryn with Littlefingers plot. Before the death his actions have an aim, he wants power, he wants the Iron Throne and he wants Sansa. After the death you can really see that the show writers simply don't have a good idea what they should do with him. He gave Sansa to the Boltons, then apologizes and helps Sansa taking Winterfell. And in session 7 he became Sansa's shadow (he follows her like a dog and does next to nothing the whole time).

Another example is the Dorne plot. A bastard (not of House Martell) became the ruler of Dorne and its armies by killing the whole ruling family (Did I mention, that she loved one member of that family? No, well it doesn't matter.). That's bullshit. And on top of that you get the sandsnakes. Bad fights, bad plot, bad one liners, I'm glad they are gone.

In session 7 we have teleportation, we have decisions, which make next to no sense. We have hurried reunions, a few sentences here and there and then continue with the action. There are characters who have really big issues with one another, but hey, its totally normal for them to go on some suicide mission beyond the wall together.

Where is the problem? Well, big plot holes, idiotic decisions and a behavior of characters which makes no sense, kills my immersion and thats the worst thing that can happen. When the plot is bad, you can have the best CGI and combat scenes in the world, but that doesn't save the show. This is especially true for A Game of Thrones, because the different characters, the different motivations and the different interesting plots made the show so amazing. Look at the first sessions, there wasn't much CGI (at least not in the quality we have now), there weren't great battle scenes (the first battle was left out entirely and the Battle of Blackwater Bay was cut short), but the story was better and so was the show (at least in my eyes).

2 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

She didn't really have the time to mourn or look sad because the plot had to fast forward before anyone had the chance to catch their breath. That has been the issue this season, the pace is so extreme there is literally no time to feel a single emotion. 

I have spent a long time defending the quality of the show on this board, and now I really cannot do it any more. Its completely jumped the ice shark. 

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

She didn't really have the time to mourn or look sad because the plot had to fast forward before anyone had the chance to catch their breath. That has been the issue this season, the pace is so extreme there is literally no time to feel a single emotion. 

I have spent a long time defending the quality of the show on this board, and now I really cannot do it any more. Its completely jumped the ice shark. 

I said elsewhere, the pacing of the whole story has been wrong for years.  Both books and show.  If the show was paced like the books then it wouldn't have survived and we'd be getting no ending at all.  So I am just grateful for that.

1 hour ago, 3sm1r said:

Nothing about Dany's character makes me believe she would break down into sobbing tears and snot bubbles.   

If anything, I would have expected her to react to the murder of her child with an intense seething rage.  

Archived