Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

1 hour ago, Cron said:

I've checked some maps, but can't find a real close-up of that area.  I'm starting to think Gendry had to run AT LEAST 50 to 100 miles, though and maybe quite a bit more.  In sub-zero temperatures.  With no hat.

You are forgetting the key thing here. He had no hammer, thus he was faster. Hah!

2 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

Hats are not cool. It is known

HAR!

I liked Qhorin Halfhand's hat, though.

Maybe Jon should have borrowed it after he killed him.

Coulda used it a few times now, and I think Qhorin would have been fine with that.

On 2017-8-21 at 7:57 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

As i said in the rant thread :

GRRM must share part of the blame, when they started adapting the books to tv-screen i'm sure that they never thought he won't finish Winds of Winter until now. You can't expect D&D to write a good script in 1 year, when it takes GRRM more than 7 to write it down. At first they began by adapting a book to tv-screen, know they have to create from scratch, even though Martin told them how the books and the main storylines will end. Thankfully the quality of the CGI, the acting, the cast and so on keeps the emotion there for me, not so much for others though.

They also have to fast-track everything, i don't think many people will have loved seeing Gendry spend like 2 episodes in getting to Davos. 

GRRM is not responsible for d&d's incompetence. They are professional writers, making a shit load of money. If they can receive an Emmy for their writing - all be it completely undeserved - then they should be held responsible for the pathetic drivel that they have put out the past couple of seasons.

I have seen several members of this forum, just in the span of the last day, come up with far more intelligent and plausible scenarios to make d&d's shit story work better than they have.

7 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

You are forgetting the key thing here. He had no hammer, thus he was faster. Hah!

HAR!!

Wouldn't it be funny if someone made an online video showing what all of this would have looked like if it was "real"??

Gendry running through the forest at about 130 mph, like a speeder bike from Return of the Jedi, then a raven being shot  out of a cannon towards Dragonstone then making the rest of the trip at about 250 mph, then Drogon and Dany being launched from Dragonstone aircraft carrier-style and cruising north at 500 mph with jet engine sound effects???

Or is that just me??

I love you guys.

Let's see.....they show the guys walking and a couple of cut scenes so that means they walked 50 or 100 miles in the snow.....dragging sleds....because, you know......there were cut scenes so that means a day or so passed between each cut scene.

3 cut scenes means 3 days at optimum troop movement speed of 20 miles per day.....they were at least 50-60 miles beyond the wall.

Later, we ignore cut scenes because.....reasons.......and each cut scene means another few hours passed (not days like before) and so the time means teleporting jetpacks are required!!!!!!!

Perfect.

Or, they marched north for part of a day dragging sleds at a slow pace making it 10-20 miles past the wall......Gendry runs the marathon in a few hours time....almost killing himself........and the ravens/dragons take a day/two/three/four to fly down/back.

That second one is totally impossible to believe.  Not the first though......

It is hilarious.

Just now, Cron said:

HAR!!

Wouldn't it be funny if someone made an online video showing what all of this would have looked like if it was "real"??

Gendry running through the forest at about 130 mph, like a speeder bike from Return of the Jedi, then a raven being shot  out of a cannon towads Dragonstone then making the rest of the trip at about 250 mph, then Drogon and Dany being launched from Dragonstone aircraft carrier-style and cruising north at 500 mph with jet engine sound effects???

Or is that just me??

Tbh, I thought of that, and not just that but making a complete parody on some of the most idiotic but key scenes this season.

Like, Bran telling Sansa "you were beautiful that night" then Sansa looking at his crotch, replying in shock and her mouth wide open "OMG Bran... Are... Are you hard?" 

Just... Well, at least we get some laughs out of it, some posts of the rants and rave are truly hillarious, not to mention the memes coming out xD epic stuff.

4 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

Tbh, I thought of that, and not just that but making a complete parody on some of the most idiotic but key scenes this season.

Like, Bran telling Sansa "you were beautiful that night" then Sansa looking at his crotch, replying in shock and her mouth wide open "OMG Bran... Are... Are you hard?" 

Just... Well, at least we get some laughs out of it, some posts of the rants and rave are truly hillarious, not to mention the memes coming out xD epic stuff.

Nice!

Along those lines, someone (not me, I can't recall who it was) made a suggestion of a parody involving Bran telling Arya how beautiful she was while running through the streets of Braavos with her guts falling out.

Do you have the technical/computer skills to actually make this video happen??

13 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Haha

It is funny.

We need to wait two episodes before we return to that beyond the wall expedition!!!!!!

Let us go check in on the Unsullied.  We can do a 10 minute scene of them deciding whether to stay in Casterly Rock or start marching......cut to Theon sobbing........back to Jon sitting on a rock up north.........cut back to the Unsullied who decided to start marching and now debate where to best cross a river.......back to Theon sobbing.......cut to Yara in a dungeon eating maggoty bread........

Sounds riveting.

19 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

The rest of the world isn't ok with it.

Talk about waiting... I started watching GoT from season 1 in the beginning of June, because years ago someone told me it's good. So I thought I'd watch it this summer. Instantly I was hooked. Sometimes I watched several new episodes in one day. I finished watching the last episode of season 6 in middle of July.

I was disappointed because I could tell it's not the end yet but there was no new episodes and I didn't know where to find them. Only then I found out the show is still going on and the first ep of season 7 is going to be aired the next day. Yay! But season 8 is too far away...

On 2017-8-21 at 9:26 AM, Ser Gareth said:

Part?  I'd say most of the blame lies with GRRM. 

Give me a break! I really don't understand this insistence on defending d&d, and trying to blame others for their incompetence. 

They [d&d] are untalented, juvenile writers, that don't give two f**ks about writing an intelligent and cohesive story. That's all there is to it.

23 hours ago, Cron said:

But...I think you're assuming a daily average speed which is pretty conservative.

On a road (the purpose of which is to increase speed and east of travel), I think even 30 to 40 miles per pay is pretty conservative, even for a caravan like Robert and Cersei used in Season One.

Assuming 8 to 10 hours of travel today, at a VERY leisurely pace of about 5 miles per hour, we are talking about 40 to 50 miles per day.

Over an entire month.'

An assumption of 8 to 10 hours of travel per day for such a large group of people is a bit optimistic. Remember that a large group of people have to sleep, get up, eat, get dressed, pull down tents, get ready and wait for everyone to start travelling. At noon everyone has to stop, prepare lunch, eat lunch, clean up, get ready and get dressed. And at evening they have to stop, light fires, prepare dinner, eat dinner, put up tents and so on. And most of it must be done while the Sun is up.

And then we need to remember that horses have limited endurence. Pulling carriages with passengers and cargo is hard work. According to this, a reasonable expectation is a pace of 4 miles per hour. A more reasonable assumption of 6 hours of actual travel time per day, yields a daily range of 24 miles (38 km), or a total expected distance of 720 miles or 1150 km from Winterfell to Kings Landing. So, I was probably a bit too low, and you were a bit to high. It happens :-)

As an aside, the armies of Napoleon were renowned by being able to march 50 km (~31 miles) per day, and that was considered very fast for an army of its day. I'd say that is an upper limit on how fast the court of Kings Landing is able to move.

And we are TOLD in the show that it is 1,000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing.

I think it's pretty reasonable for us to rely on this information.

Really? I must have missed that. Or maybe they just rounded up?

The most unrealistic thing is not teleporting, it's the way water is behaving this season (or men under water). Beeing a Norwegian I did not like the stupid ice behaviour in episode six. After months of winter one would think that a little lake was frozen more than enough to carry a man without flesh :-) Or perhaps there was a strong current there, or salt water. Or maybe there is very mild Winter. But then again there is dragons, undeads and magic so what's  to expect, why not make everything unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

Give me a break! I really don't understand this insistence on defending d&d, and trying to blame others for their incompetence. 

They [d&d] are untalented, juvenile writers, that don't give two f**ks about writing an intelligent and cohesive story. That's all there is to it.

Wow.

D&D are finishing the series that GRRM abandoned.

And you are mad at D&D.....

*rolls eyes*

I

15 hours ago, xjlxking said:

Chill out

The show clearly tries to tell you that the pacing as the seasons progress increase. We have not reach the point in the show where the main characters have visit many places at once.

The book doesn't have this problem because GRRM has included A LOT OF filler. Without a doubt, a lot of the events withe dragon, traveling through the north like in this episode will be in the book as well. However, in the book GRRM will show Aegon fighting along with Dorne/Reach against the Lannisters. If the show were to introduce that type of filler, people would go ape(*** crazy.

With that said, I do agree, I think they should have let Dany go to the north with them and stay by the Wall, just to make it a bit easier to digest. I understand a lot of people on this forum get aroused whenever they see an opportunity to criticize the show.

so we have to suppose this season is not filler bit the books are?

timeline don't even makes sense in the show. Sometimes they speak of years, sometimes it's just weeks.

not concerned about the speed of the dragon ir the ravens. I suppose it took 48 hours, so it's plausible. The logic of everything else is what bothers me.

Archived