Tyrion is playing everybody

Shi Qiang

@Allardyce I would love for your theory to be true but I just don't see it happening for the reason @teej6 gave - D&D are not going to make St. Tyrion do anything that would be remotely off putting.  I actually do think it's possible he will betray her in the books (when he meets her), and they are playing this up on TV to sort of tease the book readers who know the full HOTU and Quaithe prophecies, but nothing will come of it.

2 hours ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

He seemed to suggest democracy.

Dany wants to brake the wheel and we all know democracy is the best and only solution...

Unless it's 2 wolves (or maybe a wolf and a Dragon in this case) and a lamb voting on what to have got dinner.

This is what I thought he was getting at because he mentioned both the Night's Watch and the Iron Islands, which are the two examples we have getting close to having a democracy in Westeros. But I think he wants to hint around to it and let Daenerys feel it is ultimately her idea.

5 hours ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Nice book plot. TV show is just way too simple minded for such a twist. 

Actually, I don't think it even appears in the books, but the plot is indeed interesting.

It won't be successful: people won't accept him, no one likes him, although, he is probably the most wise chose to rule, that's why I think the Hand is a better job for him.

14 minutes ago, Mother of Mini Dragons said:

This is what I thought he was getting at because he mentioned both the Night's Watch and the Iron Islands, which are the two examples we have getting close to having a democracy in Westeros. But I think he wants to hint around to it and let Daenerys feel it is ultimately her idea.

This!

All of Tyrion advises to Dany were advantageous to Cersei. So no, he is not planning to become Dany's heir, he is clearly working for the Lannisters and is trying to sabotage Dany's campaign. Blood is thicker than water and all that stuff.

Catching a wight was possbily just a brain fart from Tyrion to imply that Cersei likes horrible things. I get the feeling that Tyrion genuinely likes Dany - could he even be in love with her himself? He's been in celibacy quite long. He's not the same Tyrion anymore. :(

On 21-8-2017 at 9:22 AM, AryaWaifMe said:

Dany told him to not be a hero and I think in the next episode he will be a hero, there is now only 2 dragons left to ride. Time to get rid of a Targaryen

Are you suggesting there are 3 Targs?

On 21-8-2017 at 5:27 AM, Allardyce said:

You heard it from me.  Tyrion sent everyone on that expedition to get rid of Dany's potential heirs.  He brought up the subject because he was hoping Dany would name him as her heir.  I want you all to consider.

1. The Dothraki, Unsullied, and the Dragons will never fight for Tyrion.  They only have loyalty for Dany.  He needs Dany to win the throne for him.
  2. The wight hunting expedition gets rid of Jorah and Jon.  Two potential people who might get in his way.
  3. Dany will win the throne.  Tyrion can then plan his moves to get rid of her.  No Jon, no Jorah, no one to inherit except him.

I am almost positive that Dany is on to Tyrion.  She's playing him too.  She will root him out and either burn him or send him to the Wall. 

The show isn't half as intelligent as it used to be. So I don't think Tyrion is being son of Tywin and Dany isn't playing anyone.

I personally feel that D&D are creating a lot of misdirection right now.  They are making Arya very suspicious of Sansa, for example, and Dany a little suspicious of Tyrion too.

Okay, yes, some of his suggestions have turned out favourably for the Lannisters but I think this is part of the misdirection and that he simply is not infallible, but of course this can create doubts in her mind as to his true intentions.

I agree with the poster who said that the only Lannister that Tyrion cares for right now is Jaime.  IMHO if he was to ever betray Dany would be either to save Jaime or because she has gone too far in terms of using brute force (if she kept doing what she did with the Tarlys for instance). Cersei has hated him since he was born and he is well aware of it plus she wants his head.  Even is she plays it "nicey, nicey" in view of the WW threat he is unlikely to buy that she is a reformed character.  Besides, he knows what a loose cannon she is and I reckon that, at least in the show, both him and Varys want a decent ruler.

My feeling is that he enjoys influencing people more than ruling outright and yes, he also knows that he is unlikely to be accepted as King.

I may be a bit bias when it comes to Tyrion because he is my favourite character.  Still I can see his faults.  He grew up with a bunch of vipers and has picked up some tricks but he has also stood up to people committing injustices (like Joffrey or when he questioned Tywin about his involvement in the Red Wedding, although granted he accepted his father's argument in the books in a way...) although by that point the deed was done and no matter what he argued nothing would undo it. Even in the books where his character is much greyer (although okay especially in ADWD, when in my opinion he is going through a sort of nervous breakdown) but he has not yet been presented as an outright villain.

What he has always craved is love, true friendship and appreciation for his efforts to the point of being a little emo at times.  Someone like that wants to be liked and recognised and is unlikely to get rid of people such as Jon, who I genuinely think he sees as a friend or certainly a potential one, for the sake of being King of a kingdom who despise him.  This would totally defeat his inner desires for acceptance and recognition.

I in fact think that he is slightly playing Cupid between Dany and Jon and possibly that he may have Jon in mind as a possible successor.

On the other hand there is this thing about "breaking the wheel."  I have always thought that this character has the potential to be one of the most reformists in the aftermath.  He is relatively well traveled, perceptive and for the most smart (despite some blunders this season).  However, I don't think he is proposing democracy as we know it today.  That would be too much of huge jump from the feudal system they are in.  I think what he may be heading at is a monarchy with a very strong Council capable of overpowering (by vote or whatever) a monarch that has lost the plot a bit and yes, I think he would certainly like to be part of that Council himself.

I think one of the problems in a series with so much plotting going on is that whenever a character is diplomatic or soft spoken a lot of readers/viewers mistrust said character.  Now, Varys in the books for instance yes I do mistrust although I think his goals will make sense eventually and LF is certainly not trustworthy but I don't think that just anyone who doesn't settle all conflicts without ever using diplomacy has to be like Cersei who would get rid of anyone who could be in her way.  

On 8/21/2017 at 0:12 PM, Iron Mother said:

Definitely interesting, I just don't see it.  I've seen no evident signs of it.  If I think of the circumstances that led him to Daenerys, it would have to be a scheme he made up while in her service.  I'm not sure I've seen signs of that.

Tyrion loved power he possessed when he was hand in kings landing. His lust might grow into a desire to sit on iron throne. Also, he sees danny unfit to rule seven kingdoms.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:14 PM, Pandean said:

It's an interesting theory but I don't personally see it. He could definitely be second guessing his choice for backing Dany though.

Tyrion loves power. He feels he has potential to make strategies to win wars and take advantage of situation. He along with varys as his hand can rule seven kingdoms. But, i personally feel Tyrion has no such plans. He is a little smartass drunkard.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:42 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I wish that was true. But I don't think Tyrion is doing anything except mope about and say occasionally wise mottos. His character seems mostly irrelevant now

He is counsellor of danny in external affairs and might be last of lannister's family ruling casterly rocks.

1 minute ago, Sumit7Saini said:

He is counsellor of danny in external affairs and might be last of lannister's family ruling casterly rocks.

If you read that and didn't watch him for the last two seasons where he'd been relegated to irrelevance then yes I'd maybe suspect he was up to something.

if he has been plotting things then it's been incredibly badly written 

On 8/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, Anarres said:

This is an interesting theory, but I suppose it highlights that if only one character brings up sensible points it makes him look like a scheming and devious man rather than, well, normal. Succession issues are, alongside foreign invasion, pretty much the major issue plaguing these systems of government. It's entirely reasonable for him to bring this up.

Who do you think should be her sucessor?

On 8/21/2017 at 3:45 PM, UFT said:

this is buying into what cersei wanted to think about tyrion but was never actually true. tyrion never wanted power, and is horrified when people misuse it.

showwise, the worst hes ever done is kill his dad (as well as threaten to murder the crownlanders), and even that was after alot of mindbreaking events and torment. without dany, tyiron would have drunk himself to death somewhere in pentos or volantis and i think he knows that. 

Tryion is happy to counsel her majesty. I guess, for him being a hand is more than enough (until danny decides to change her hand).

Archived