No dragonrider discussion?

falcotron

I was sure that there was going to be a discussion where Tyrion would suggest that Dany find two more dragonriders ("Aegon didn't only have three dragons, he had three dragonriders"), and she'd refuse, and only after that would Viserion get killed and wighted (which was obviously going to happen at some point, ever since they showed us zombie animals), and she'd feel guilty that maybe if she'd found a rider for him he'd still be alive. I was so sure that this discussion had to happen, and that it would be triggered by a Jon-Rhaego scene, that I didn't expect Viserion to die until the season finale.

So anyway, I was wrong.

Are they just going to have Jon instabond with Rhaego either as soon as he and Dany are having sex, or as soon as he learns about R+L=J, and not even talk about it beforehand? Having a discussion about dragonriders now that there's only two dragons seems a bit silly, but giving Jon a dragon without that discussion seems even sillier.

Daenerys will be the only one who rides a Dragon unfortunately. 

If they were going to bring the three heads  of the dragon prophecy to the show they would have to also bring and fulfil A + J = T too, which is never going to happen. 

Personally with one dragon left for grabs I wouldnt be suprised that Bran will try to warg Rhaegal, this kid needs to show us how powerful he really is. Lets not forget he will fly.......

2 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

If they were going to bring the three heads  of the dragon prophecy to the show they would have to also bring and fulfil A + J = T too, which is never going to happen. 

Personally with one dragon left for grabs I wouldnt be suprised that Bran will try to warg Rhaegal, this kid needs to show us how powerful he really is. Lets not forget he will fly.......

First, they don't need two more dragonriders, just one. The Night King is already the third dragonrider, because Dany didn't think to find other riders until after she got one of her dragons killed. (And maybe that was even always destined. The dragon named for her husband is hers, the dragon named for Jon's dad is Jon's, and the dragon named for her asshat brother who her husband killed is the NK's.)

Meanwhile, you don't need the three heads prophecy for three dragonriders to be a good idea. Aegon had a dragonrider for each dragon. A bit plot point in TPatQ is one side having a superiority in dragons but needing to search for dragonriders to take advantage of it. And so on. And, maybe more importantly, it's just cooler for TV to see multiple heroes flying on dragons, than one hero flying on a dragon with a couple unmanned ones following behind.

Plus, they wouldn't need A+J=T even if they needed the three heads. Most fans don't believe in A+J=T, and many of them still think there will be three dragonriders in the books.

1 minute ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Book wise there is a high chance that there will be more than 3 riders, dragons after all tend to outlive their riders.

NK as a secret Targ is not one I have come across before, but I like it.  I would also like to get in first with Rheagar as the NK

You dont have to be Targaryen to ride a dragon......

And the NK isnt riding it under what we would call normal circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

You dont have to be Targaryen to ride a dragon......

Exactly. During the Dance, when the Blacks were searching for dragonseeds, they didn't do anything to verify whether the contestants had Targaryen blood, and it seems pretty likely that some of the successful ones didn't, while many of the failures definitely did. The idea that only Valyrians can ride dragons seems to be just Targaryen prejudice (or maybe even intentional propaganda).

And I suspect that if Jon ends up as a dragonrider, it'll be more down to mommy loving him and/or thinking he should be Rhaegal's rider, than to the fact that he's Rhaegar's son. Although we may never find out either way.

Or maybe Jon will somehow come up with the idea of feeding Rhaegal a sheep every morning. Maybe Tyrion can run into Timett One-Eye again and get the idea from him (although more likely any useful information will coincidentally be in one of Sam's stolen books).

As for the NK being a secret Targ, I don't think that's possible. We saw what he looked like, and it didn't look at all Targaryen. Plus, Leaf explicitly said he was a First Man captured on Westeros. Plus, 8000 years ago, there were no Targaryens—Valyrians were semi-nomadic shepherds still millennia away from finding the volcanos where they'd eventually discover their dragons, and the 40 families only date back to the first millennium after they discovered dragons and started the Freehold.

3 minutes ago, Queen of Winter said:

That's definitely something that had to be changed for the show.  Just wasn't enough time to fit everything in. There's a better chance of it happening in the books (if we ever get the rest).

Which part had to be changed for the show?

I don't think the dragons going to Dany, Jon, and the Night King is a book thing in the first place—the Night King doesn't even exist in the books.

Or are you suggesting that the Tyrion conversation is something that should have happened, and will happen in the books, under different circumstances, but had to be cut for time? Because if so, that makes sense.

Just now, falcotron said:

Which part had to be changed for the show?

I don't think the dragons going to Dany, Jon, and the Night King is a book thing in the first place—the Night King doesn't even exist in the books.

Or are you suggesting that the Tyrion conversation is something that should have happened, and will happen in the books, under different circumstances, but had to be cut for time? Because if so, that makes sense.

My apologies, I should have been clearer in my response.  I think the whole "dragon has three heads" and the dragonriders had to be axed for the show, and that it's more of a book thing.

4 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Bran can show how powerful he is if he wargs into Viserion, who is now wightified. Warging into Rhaegal would just be like warging into any other animal, which we know Bran can do anyway. Whereas if Bran warns Viserion, it would be a huge power change for him. And Jon riding Rhaegal would be the factor convincing everyone of R+L=J, when Sam Sam and Bran attempt to prove it.

6 hours ago, falcotron said:

Are they just going to have Jon instabond with Rhaego either as soon as he and Dany are having sex, or as soon as he learns about R+L=J, and not even talk about it beforehand? Having a discussion about dragonriders now that there's only two dragons seems a bit silly, but giving Jon a dragon without that discussion seems even sillier.

First of all, Jon is certainly not going to instabond with Dany's unborn/abomination baby - get your Rhaego/Rhaegal/Rhaegel/Rhaegars straight, what so confusing about it?!? ;)  

I think Jon will ride Rhaegal in the show, and I think they've been setting that up the past couple episodes.  But based on how the two dragons have behaved thus far in the show there is - unbelievably shockingly and quite possibly unwittingly - an internal logic for Dany not being concerned about finding dragonriders.  At the end of last season, she seemed to be able to control the other two as they busted out of the bowels of the Meereenese pyramid and proceeded to burn the Volantene fleet (or were they simply from Yunkai?  I forget).  

In this episode, they also seemed to follow her lead as she took off.  If she can control all three, why would it be in her interest to find others to control the other two she does not ride?  Seems to me it makes perfect sense to not let that happen from Dany's vantage point.

6 minutes ago, WeKnowNothing said:

Bran can show how powerful he is if he wargs into Viserion, who is now wightified. Warging into Rhaegal would just be like warging into any other animal, which we know Bran can do anyway. Whereas if Bran warns Viserion, it would be a huge power change for him. And Jon riding Rhaegal would be the factor convincing everyone of R+L=J, when Sam Sam and Bran attempt to prove it.

If anything hes going to warg the NK. 

I completely disagree, its not like warging any other animal and certainly will not be easy. He's potentially the most powerful skin changer, if it was that easy why has no other skin changer done it if its just like warging into say a raven.......

We are not fully sure how the process works but if he can warg the dragon, effectively breaking the NKs warg on the dragon, that pretty much signifies that hes more powerful that the NK so why doesnt he just warg the NK and destroy the whole army. 

6 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Dany - Drogon

Night king - Viserion

Bran- warging Rhaegal 

Agreed in the sense thats what is going to happen. 

But there is no three heads of the dragon prophecy in the show, so if your are (which im not saying you are) saying this the three heads of the dragon I disagree.

As much as that death was terrible, I'm glad it happened for three reasons.

1. Tyrion as secret Targ, child of Aerys and Joanna Lannister, as a third dragon rider. No? Great! Because Tywin Lannister's trueborn son should have always been the one he couldn't bear to acknowledge as his child.

2. Viserys died early. The dragon named for him died early.

3. Rhaegal remains for a second rider. Wouldn't it be nice if his rider was the son of the man he's named for?

As Melisandre said, prophecies are strange things. They don't always go the way people expect. Perfectly ok with no three heads of the dragon if the two are Dany and Jon.

46 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Agreed in the sense thats what is going to happen. 

But there is no three heads of the dragon prophecy in the show, so if your are (which im not saying you are) saying this the three heads of the dragon I disagree.

No three heads. The dragonriders in the book will be different I think . In the books Tyrion might very well ride Viserion. 

5 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Jon will still ride Rhaegal.  I mean it's named after his father.  

5 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Bran will fight a mind battle with the NK and take control of Viserion to win the battle against the WW.

Archived