No dragonrider discussion?

falcotron

13 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Jon will still ride Rhaegal.  I mean it's named after his father.  

True...

I just dont want to see it and dont believe it will happen.... its too fan fiction now, daenerys and jon falling in love and conquering the seven kingdoms/defeating WW etc, all on the back of 2 dragons. I dont like it. 

Its entirely subjective and just my opinion.

Just now, Samwell_Tarly said:

True...

I just dont want to see it and dont believe it will happen.... its too fan fiction now, daenerys and jon falling in love and conquering the seven kingdoms/defeating WW etc, all on the back of 2 dragons. I dont like it. 

It sounds like fan fiction, but it's probably what GRRM has planned from the start. Now I still think that Dany and all three dragons will die, but Jon&Dany romance was almost certainly planned. 

1 minute ago, WhatIsDeadMayNeverLive said:

It sounds like fan fiction, but it's probably what GRRM has planned from the start. Now I still think that Dany and all three dragons will die, but Jon&Dany romance was almost certainly planned. 

Possibly....

I do agree with you and have said for a long time that Daenerys and her three dragons will die..... and it was pretty much inevitable Jon and Daenerys would get it on.

Am I the only one who thinks the TV-show creators deviated from GRRM's plot by killing Viserion? The books suggest the Night King should have his own original Ice-dragon. And they also didn't fully explain Tyrion is also interested in dragons and would thus ride Viserion. Somehow they can't fit this narrative into the Show so they decide to kill one of the dragons. But maybe it's just wishful thinking.

16 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

True...

This show jumped the shark a long time ago.  It may as well end that way. 

Just now, Lukee1811 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the TV-show creators deviated from GRRM's plot by killing Viserion? The books suggest the Night King should have his own original Ice-dragon. And they also didn't fully explain Tyrion is also interested in dragons and would this ride Viserion. Somehow they can't fit this narrative into the Show so they decide to kill one of the dragons. But maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Possibly, but the NK having a dragon definitely comes from GRRM. The NK wouldn't stand a chance if can't kill dragons and doesn't have any of his own. And NK having no chance would be anticlimatic, so he needs to get a dragon, one way or another.

17 minutes ago, WhatIsDeadMayNeverLive said:

They may but I think they will have children.  They wouldn't have gone to all that trouble to mention Dany's successor and Jon's children getting longclaw.  Perhaps the blood of the dragon is stronger than the witch's power.

I would have much preferred an end battle, where the three fire-dragons battle it out against the NK and a huge ice dragon. Hope it plays out like this in the books. I hate it when they kill the dragons/dire-wolves. I like that in ASOIAF/GOT nobody is safe but sometimes I think they are overdoing it with the "realism" , "viscerality" and "grittiness". I was devastated when the NK hit Viserion.

"Look, we killed one of the dragons, turned it to a zombie and it's gonna wage war on its mother. How do you like that?" - Nihilist orgasm complete. "Oh and also the WW might be the real victims, cause they were a defensive reaction by the Children of the forest against humans, because, you know, humans are evil and now they get what they deserve. Because everything is relative and f-you"

I hope there is some more fulfilling moral to it, than that.

There is no Night King in the books so we'll never get this atrocious a plot in the books. The dragon has three heads in the books, indicating that all three dragons will fight against the Others in the books. Now, that doesn't mean that they will be of all that much use. A dragon shouldn't be of much help during a snow storm or blizzard, after all. You have to be able to find your targets to incinerate them...

But the idea that a wight dragon could actually fly is simply not all that likely. The wights are slow zombies in the books. And slow zombies cannot even run.

By the way - the dragon isn't an ice dragon if the reports are true. It still breathes fire and is going to destroy the Wall with fire in the next episode.

The books might have dragon vs. dragon fights during the Second Dance - a plot the show scrapped - so they think they have to do that via the Dark Lord ruler of the Others.

There is also zero reason to believe the same dragonriding rules apply in the show as in the books. Jon and Dany might end up sharing Drogon.

In the books we'll have to have our first set of dragonriders in Meereen since Viserion and Rhaegal are not going to go to Westeros with the gang if they are not claimed by riders. They are wild dragons now and until they are claimed they will do as they please.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

By the way - the dragon isn't an ice dragon if the reports are true. It still breathes fire and is going to destroy the Wall with fire in the next episode.

People have been confusing it with an ice dragon when its a wight dragon.

Thats one of the reasons and probably the main reason why it will still breath fire, the wall is made up of Ice and magic, the dragon fire will melt the wall and nulify the magic too.

As poorly written as the show has become, that it disproves all the stupid dragon rider theories is great.

The dragon having 3 heads can mean anything - even one of the mutant dragons in Asshai actually having 3 heads - but it's generally just a reference to the original invasion of Westeros which had 3 dragons and 3 dragon riders.

In a contemporary sense (as in the show/book timeline) it could just mean that the beast that destroys Westeros (Lucifer is Lightbringer) has 3 heads - like GRRMs version of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, or the 7 headed beast. It could be fire (dragons) ice (Walkers) and the song (war). Who knows? Point is it doesn't have to be and probably isn't 3 secret Targs riding dragons, which always sounded as dumb fanfiction as the show has become to me.

As to the dragon-rider theories and secret Targs: GRRM already said multiple times he doesn't write straight good vs evil stories and that good and evil reside in any individual person, but I still think that at the end there should be some meaningful point about humanity. What do you guys think it will be? Not a classical happy end, to be sure.

8 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Daenerys will be the only one who rides a Dragon unfortunately. 

If they were going to bring the three heads  of the dragon prophecy to the show they would have to also bring and fulfil A + J = T too, which is never going to happen. 

Personally with one dragon left for grabs I wouldnt be suprised that Bran will try to warg Rhaegal, this kid needs to show us how powerful he really is. Lets not forget he will fly.......

We're forgetting Jon is a Targaryen already and the one that to date has only responded to Dany allowed Jon to pet him?  He'll ride the female dragon... and in the books don't forget Aegon exists, and in light of the revelations of this season - he's most likely the real deal too.  I'd lean more to putting the Tyrion theories to bed forever after what Gilly read than anything.

2 minutes ago, BulletTooth_Tony said:

We're forgetting Jon is a Targaryen already and the one that to date has only responded to Dany allowed Jon to pet him?

And........

He'll ride the female dragon...

Dragons are gender neutral, they are what they need to be. And if they were anything I'd go with males seen as though they are named after males....

and in the books don't forget Aegon exists, and in light of the revelations of this season - he's most likely the real deal too.  I'd lean more to putting the Tyrion theories to bed forever after what Gilly read than anything.

Definitely not coming to light that A+J=T at all now, that boat and gone and passed in the show now. 

17 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Dragons are gender neutral, they are what they need to be. And if they were anything I'd go with males seen as though they are named after males...

That's some Maester Aemon stuff... but one of the dragons killed in the Dragonpits during that uprising was described as a "she-dragon"... otherwise we only see terms of "it" and "he" used royally and they're way late for their veterinarian visits and shots.  ;) To draw parallels, a male cat carries "himself" nearly internally, very small outward signs of gender.

But extinction of magic and magical beings may very well be the end game here too... so what they are is most likely the most irrelevant discussion we'll have today. ;) 

9 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Daenerys will be the only one who rides a Dragon unfortunately. 

If they were going to bring the three heads  of the dragon prophecy to the show they would have to also bring and fulfil A + J = T too, which is never going to happen. 

Personally with one dragon left for grabs I wouldnt be suprised that Bran will try to warg Rhaegal, this kid needs to show us how powerful he really is. Lets not forget he will fly.......

He already has flown, as a raven....to check in on the NK.

34 minutes ago, BulletTooth_Tony said:

That's some Maester Aemon stuff... but one of the dragons killed in the Dragonpits during that uprising was described as a "she-dragon"... otherwise we only see terms of "it" and "he" used royally and they're way late for their veterinarian visits and shots.  ;) To draw parallels, a male cat carries "himself" nearly internally, very small outward signs of gender.

But extinction of magic and magical beings may very well be the end game here too... so what they are is most likely the most irrelevant discussion we'll have today. ;) 

Not exactly. Dragons can (apparently) switch their gender as needed. Usually, though, I'd expect that they wouldn't do that very often.

Per the books, anyways.

This allows for a new generation of dragons to be born from Dany's.

Archived