Why Can't Daenerys Have Children?

Iron Mother

18 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

I hope becuase Ned was his father (he fucking raised him it's his kid) he tells Dany where i come from we don't fuck family.

But where Jon comes from, they do fuck family.

In fact, all over Westeros, the nobles fuck family. Dorne (where they often marry foreigners, if they even marry) and the Reach (where the Tyrells had a long-term policy of spreading their marriages among the other six big houses) are partial exceptions, but generally, the higher up the chain you are, the more likely you are to marry a cousin.

Ned marrying a Tully instead was part of a big plot by Rickard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Hoster Tully to bring their realms closer together. Normally, Starks marry cousins as often as anyone else. Ned's own father, Rickard Stark, married his cousin, Lyarra Stark.

ETA: And in the real world, from the high medieval era up until the mid 20th century, royalty, and much of the upper nobility in most countries, married their cousins more often than not. Not always first cousins, but it was far from rare.

5 minutes ago, Pandean said:

You were the one who made me think it in the first place! :P

Yeah, I hope they do that with Jon. I can see him angst about his parentage and then Sansa and Arya smack some sense into him saying that he was raised by Ned, as their brother, he's their family so shut up and stop whining. 

But yes oh yes please no more incest.

Also that includes Jon and Arya or Jon and Sansa. Please.

I believe if they fuck, Dany will have Jon's baby, though. They've been heavy handing it waaay too much for it not to be happening.

And of course Jon will angst.

Yeah no incest period. Lets move to a better westeros by not fucking family.

5 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

It's legal to marry your cousin. Aunt/Nephew is the same degree of distance away from immediate family. 

It's certainly not sharing a womb.

There are a lot of things that are legal  Legal does not mean right or moral. I think it needs to stop. It's fucking gross in the show and real life. 

3 minutes ago, falcotron said:

But where Jon comes from, they do fuck family.

In fact, all over Westeros, the nobles fuck family. Dorne (where they often marry foreigners, if they even marry) and the Reach (where the Tyrells had a long-term policy of spreading their marriages among the other six big houses) are partial exceptions, but generally, the higher up the chain you are, the more likely you are to marry a cousin.

Ned marrying a Tully instead was part of a big plot by Rickard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Hoster Tully to bring their realms closer together. Normally, Starks marry cousins as often as anyone else. Ned's own father, Rickard Stark, married his cousin, Lyarra Stark.

You only qouted a part of my post re it again. There were a few KEY words you missed.

5 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Yeah no incest period. Lets move to a better westeros by not fucking family.

There are a lot of things that are legal  Legal does not mean right or moral. I think it needs to stop. It's fucking gross in the show and real life. 

The year is 2000AC
______ character's great great great great great x10 grandchild is running President of the Iron Throne

Their campaign promise?
"No More Incest"

Their opponent's?
"Incest is the Best"

Who will win

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

The year is 2000AC
______ character's great great great great great x10 grandchild is running President of the Iron Throne

Their campaign promise?
"No More Incest"

Their opponent's?
"Incest is the Best"

Who will win

Lmao gawd no. I'm assassinating the motherfucker who runs that campaign. 

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," she said sadly. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens again, and I bear a living child. Then you will return, my sun-and-stars, and not before.

/Daenerys/

So it's never. She cannot have a baby. But I didn't understand what Tyrion meant about succession when he mentioned "Night's Watch has one method" and also Ironborn's method. Does he mean the method when you choose the commander by voting? And what is the Ironborn method?

2 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Lmao gawd no. I'm assassinating the motherfucker who runs that campaign. 

Incest is the Best candidate wins

We find out due to government leaks that....they're the xamount grandchild of the one child Jamie and Cersei had they had in secret and was never revealed until now!

The first thing they do is....marry their sibling and have a wonderful bouncing baby boy named Joffrey...

And deep in the crypts of Winterfell, the Starks roll in their graves.

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," she said sadly. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens again, and I bear a living child. Then you will return, my sun-and-stars, and not before.

/Daenerys/

So it's never. She cannot have a baby. But I didn't understand what Tyrion meant about succession when he mentioned "Night's Watch has one method" and also Ironborn's method. Does he mean the method when you choose the commander by voting? And what is the Ironborn method?

Voting. The iron born choose their king.

Also was that the show quote or book quote????

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

/Daenerys/

I believe the Iron Born have the Kingsmoot.

Night's Watch has elections.

3 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Incest is the Best candidate wins

We find out due to government leaks that....they're the xamount grandchild of the one child Jamie and Cersei had they had in secret and was never revealed until now!

The first thing they do is....marry their sibling and have a wonderful bouncing baby boy named Joffrey...

And deep in the crypts of Winterfell, the Starks roll in their graves.

Lmao this is Bullshit!! I want a recount! If i don't get one Imma pull a Cersei and blow up ALL of Westeros. Razing that bitch to the ground. Every damned brother fucking soul.

2 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Lmao this is Bullshit!! I want a recount! If i don't get one Imma pull a Cersei and blow up ALL of Westeros. Razing that bitch to the ground. Every damned brother fucking soul.

only the children of incest live because their are mutated now to the point of surviving such an explosion

now only those who are related can populate the new wordl

4 minutes ago, Pandean said:

only the children of incest live because their are mutated now to the point of surviving such an explosion

now only those who are related can populate the new wordl

Fuck it I'm chugging wildfire...my parents were NOT related distantly or immediately.So I wouldn't survive such an act.... But with my luck the wildfire would actually turn me into a wyvern. Not a full blown dragon.

11 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

/Daenerys/

I don't disagree with the prophesy. 

When you're at the North Pole on a planet, every direction is South, and East and West are where you say they are.

When you're at the North Pole on an habitable planet, the seas are dry because they're frozen, and mountains of snow blow like leaves in the wind.

D&D didn't just throw word salad at us with the HotU, they gave us a ton of stuff because they couldn't give us the book stuff with any budget, and it would be spoiler central. 

10 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Voting. The iron born choose their king.

Also was that the show quote or book quote????

It's a book quote but I remember that some part of it was used in the show too. Mirri killed her child and her fertility. Dany is the Mother of Dragons. Only dragons.

12 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I believe the Iron Born have the Kingsmoot.

Night's Watch has elections.

Thank you. Now I remember the Kingsmoot.

Just now, The Bastard of Summer said:

Fuck it I'm chugging wildfire...my parents were NOT related distantly or immediately. But with my luck the wildfire would actually turn me into a wyvern. Not a full blown dragon.

Technically the designs for Dany's dragons are wyverns. Two legs, reptilian bodies, wings with claws as appendages.

Lindwyrms are the poor suckers with two front legs and then just a worm body.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

/Daenerys/

So it's never. She cannot have a baby.

But that's not what it means.

What it means is that Drogo will never return. He can only return if a bunch of impossible things happen, and also Dany has a baby.

Mirri didn't even need any magical powers of prophecy. She's treating a patient in a coma, and she did nothing to cure his coma, so she can predict that he's never going to return. That's just an obvious prognosis, that she flowered up to make it sound mystical.

And the bit about Dany bearing a child is just there to mislead Dany into worrying about something that Mirri actually doesn't know anything about. Because Mirri wanted to fuck with her.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

But I didn't understand what Tyrion meant about succession when he mentioned "Night's Watch has one method" and also Ironborn's method. Does he mean the method when you choose the commander by voting? And what is the Ironborn method?

Yes, the Night's Watch chooses a new commander by voting.

The Ironborn normally go by heredity, but every couple centuries, when the succession is too complicated, they have a kingsmoot, where everyone who captains a ship gets to vote for their favorite of the potential heirs. And then the losing candidate steals half the navy.

It seems like a silly thing to suggest either way. Tyrion just explained to her that the transition she wants is going to take more than a lifetime, and he's probably right. If Westeros is actually ready for democracy yet by the time she dies, then great, but they shouldn't be picking a new king in the first place, they should be voting in a president, or taking the government away from the king and turning him into a figurehead. If, on the other hand, they're not ready for democracy, then they're not ready to vote on the person to transition them to democracy. That's just a sure way to guarantee a Napoleon or Stalin type who will betray the revolution.

3 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Technically the designs for Dany's dragons are wyverns. Two legs, reptilian bodies, wings with claws as appendages.

Lindwyrms are the poor suckers with two front legs and then just a worm body.

Well GRRM made the distinction that his dragons look like Danys in show. I'd be that kinda dragon. I think they look better anyway. I'd be just a legless fireworm...

4 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I don't disagree with the prophesy. 

When you're at the North Pole on a planet, every direction is South, and East and West are where you say they are.

When you're at the North Pole on an habitable planet, the seas are dry because they're frozen, and mountains of snow blow like leaves in the wind.

Very good point. Mirri's prophecy could be just a threat. Dany believes that she cannot have children but she never went to any maester to make sure.

Archived