So now we know how the Wight Walker war ends

Euron's Mom

I think Beric pretty much gave it away:

At some point, someone will kill the Night King and then the entire White Walker & Wight army will instantly drop dead for good.

I feel that I will be very disappointed when this happens.  It will be very quick, clean, and complete.  I understand that movies and tv shows do this sort of thing so that there can be a high tension climactic scene with very little loose ends afterwards.  Considering how common of a trope that it is I would have thought Game of Thrones would go a different route.

2 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

How did he give it away.....?

At some point, someone will kill the Night King and then the entire White Walker & Wight army will instantly drop dead for good.

Well you say it like its going to be as easy as blowing the candles out on birthday cake..... 

They are going to be many factors in defeating the NK.

I feel that I will be very disappointed when this happens.  It will be very quick, clean, and complete.  I understand that movies and tv shows do this sort of thing so that there can be a high tension climactic scene with very little loose ends afterwards.  Considering how common of a trope that it is I would have thought Game of Thrones would go a different route.

How would you have the ending then?????

20 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

Maybe that's the reason of the NK being Bran.. I am not sure if I like or agree with this theory but it's a possible plot twist..

There would be twist enough if Jon had to decide to kill or not to kill a boy he thinks is his brother.

In the books, the "Great Other" is the enemy/opposite of the Lord of Light, in that faith's traditions. The White Walkers are often also referred to as "Others".

But, yeah ... in the Show, it looks like killing the NK is going to be the endgame for that war.

Barring some sort of twist. Maybe he doesn't shatter into ice like other Walkers, and instead jams some obsidian into the heart of whoever killed him as his dying act, transferring the power/mantle to them.

13 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

What makes you think he was right about that?

Jon didn't seem to think so. And it's not as if Beric has a special knowledge of how the White Walkers work or a magic ability to sense the lines of force between them or anything. He was guessing. And he was guessing in a desperate situation where if he was right it might save them all, but if he was wrong it would only change things from "our whole group dies" to "our whole group dies in a slightly different way".

10 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Is there there a Great Other in the books?

Kytheros answered the direct question, but I think you're also asking whether there's a "first Other" who then created all the rest of them, and who may be a single point of failure for the entire army of the dead.

We actually don't know the answer to that. We do know that, according to GRRM, the Night King in the show doesn't correspond to any character from the books—and especially not the similarly-named Night's King from the books—but that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be elements of the NK that match some entity in the books.

10 hours ago, Styl7 said:

The Wildlings have a story of the Night's King, but he was supposed to find a "female WW"..

Night's King is not an Other, he's a human Lord Commander of the Watch who supposedly made sacrifices to the Others to try to bring back the army of the dead (who'd been defeated before his time), and who supposedly married a "corpse queen" who may or may not have been an Other.

At any rate, according to GRRM, he died thousands of years ago, and isn't relevant to the current story. (Obviously he's relevant as background detail to the mythology of the Others; I assume he just meant Night's King isn't going to turn up in the fight, the big battle isn't going to turn on some secret about him that's discovered in a book in Oldtown, etc.)

15 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

Even if that ends up to be the direct way to end the war, the NK looks pretty formidable to me.  And we still have the question of the purpose of Bran and we still do not really understand the fundamental purpose of Jon.  I do not think this is going to be simple at all.

12 hours ago, Deminelle said:

There would be twist enough if Jon had to decide to kill or not to kill a boy he thinks is his brother.

And we know that Jon has already been in the situation of deciding what to do about a boy he thinks is his brother.  Remember, in Battle of the Bastards Sansa said that Rickon was already dead, almost a 'forget him'.   But Jon would not accept that yet failed anyway.  What would Jon do, facing that problem again?  

I hated this is in the Avengers and I hate it here. The whole point of threat is the massive overwhelming odds of a massive army of everyone who dies, who will raise up a new soldier for everyone of yours they take. When you turn it into a one shot victory, you eliminate the entire reason to fear the threat. 

12 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Maybe that's the reason of the NK being Bran.. I am not sure if I like or agree with this theory but it's a possible plot twist..

Not really, it isn't. The NK isn't about to tell the lords of the north where his own forces are massing, which Bran did, spontaneously. Nor would it make sense for the Three-Eyed Raven's mental download in the cave to have somehow failed. Sheesh, the gibberish theories that people come up with. And I thought the Battlestar Galactica fandom was bad about that.

33 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

And I thought the Battlestar Galactica fandom was bad about that.

Doctor Who fandom is better, because at least 90% of the gibberish theories are "[female character X] is the Rani in disguise", so you know immediately that you don't need to waste your time on them.

It's highly possible that they'll go down that road, because you know, there's only 1 season left with like 6 or 7 episodes to cover the whole War For the Dawn and what's left of the Westerosi Game of Thrones, so they need to make it simple amirite

Yep. I expect an ending very similar to the final battle in LoTR, with a fight in the ground that is going badly, and a suicide mission against the Night King, that miraculously succeeds, and leads to all the wights dropping dead.

1 hour ago, Iotun said:

Yep. I expect an ending very similar to the final battle in LoTR, with a fight in the ground that is going badly, and a suicide mission against the Night King, that miraculously succeeds, and leads to all the wights dropping dead.

So who is carrying out that suicide mission ? My bet is on the killer in the family.

Suicide mission? If there's one my bet is on Gendry. He seems expendable... Or is this chance for Tyrion to become a hero? He tries to stop Daenerys from flying to rescue Jon. Daenerys earlier told him that he's no hero but he's brave.

Archived