So now we know how the Wight Walker war ends

Euron's Mom

5 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

Killing a White Walker kills all the whights he is controlling. That is not just a way out for the show runners to ease the story with the others, but rather the only logical conclusion based on the magic that makes the whights work. The whights are just reanimated corpses of flesh, who are fully controlled by the Walkers via their magic, just like marionetes. It must be their equivalent of warging. Since the whights are just corpses, when the walker dies, the magic stops and the whight becomes a moveless corpse again. Plain simple and the only sufficent conclusion. If we continue this thought and think about the NK, he was the first Other (In the show). Also he is the leader. We can assume that he controlls all the other WW, hence he is the leader, since another hierarchy building mechanism (like for instance among humans) seem among the others highly unlikely. Remember, GRRM once said that the Others have no such thing as culture. So it seems logically inevitable that the other WW are controlled by the NK similar to the way the WW controll the Whights. And if you kill the NK, you kill the WW he has created and the Whights that the WW have created. Actually a very logical and satisfactory way to conclude the storyline regarding the White Walkers. 

So let's tell Sam and here we go.

3 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Then Arya is posthumously knighted.

I don't see the Night King killing her though. He is the god of death and what do we say to the god of death?

I can see her on the cusp of it. Then she does a dagger trick like she did with Brienne and she gets him.

All signs do point to Arya getting him. Him being protected by all the wights at a distance, no one gets close. She's the assassin. She has chekov's dagger. But if she does, how does TPTWP bring the dawn? But then all this build up to a new long night and winter and it lasts a few months? Some things don't add up yet unless it literally is a long night where its totally dark. That would explain the oily stone origin of the Hightower lighthouse I guess. Oily stone-magic.

26 minutes ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

It doesn't matter what trick you have to pull exactly. The question is, do we get a LOTR ending where all enimies fall with a stroke to their leader. Whatever this stroke looks like. I would say yes and it will be done by Arya in a sort of combination with her siblings and Dany. And the dead won't go past Winterfell.

Yes, but what I am saying you need to work hard to kill him. Just like the difference between regular Vampires and the Dracula. Using silver and sun light can work on regular Vampires, but that's not working on the Dracula, it hurts him but doesn't kill him. Probably Night King will be the same, Valeryian steel and obisidian will hurt him, but you need something special to kill him, not even Dragon magic can overpower him as we've seen how did he kill one and turned him into his slave. Probably we will need a special rituel with the help of other gods from the Lord of the Light or Old Gods.

2 minutes ago, Nakraal said:

The war ending in a stalemate with Men and White Walkers agreeing to a pact. Men give some weird concessions and then the WW withdraw back north of the wall 

The downfall of the WW will be totally. Remember what this is and especially what it has become. In the end there is no gray, no maybe or sort of anymore. Some more will have to die, for the rest is happily ever after. At least in the show.

8 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Yes, but what I am saying you need to work hard to kill him. Just like the difference between regular Vampires and the Dracula. Using silver and sun light can work on regular Vampires, but that's not working on the Dracula, it hurts him but doesn't kill him. Probably Night King will be the same, Valeryian steel and obisidian will hurt him, but you need something special to kill him, not even Dragon magic can overpower him as we've seen how did he kill one and turned him into his slave. Probably we will need a special rituel with the help of other gods from the Lord of the Light or Old Gods.

At least in the the show they wont make too much circumstances.

48 minutes ago, Hibee87 said:

Maybe I missed something but why didn't the wight they were trying to capture not die when John killed the WW? All others fell except, conveniently, the one

I wondered that too. The only explanation I could come up with was that that particular wight was reanimated by some other WW. But that begs the question why was there only one such wight. 

6 hours ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

I also bet that Jon survives and marries Dany. There has to be a sweet part of the ending. It could also be that Arya safes Jon in the very last second after she hated him before because of Dany.

I don't understand how that is sweet. He is her nephew. We live in a messed up society where people are rooting for that, fiction or otherwise.

1 hour ago, legba11 said:

Couldn't they just kill the children who made the NK and end the whole Army of Darkness?  The transitive property of monster killing seems to indicate this.

Hah! That would be convenient. 

If that were possible, the NK would probably have the child locked up somewhere for safe keeping, like Naraku kept his heart stowed away.. (any Inuyasha fans?)

7 hours ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

Oh come on. That's not bittersweet.  There will be spring. The winter falls at Winterfell.

agreed, its almost like Jon recalls Ned saying in the books something along the lines of 'we're going to man all the castles at the wall again, but thats a dream for spring', and GGRMs final planed book being named A Dream for Spring, so either the wall is (rebuilt hopefully) remanned or Ned's coming back from a trip at Lowe's to plant some marigolds

On 8/21/2017 at 11:13 AM, Samwell_Tarly said:

How would you have the ending then?????

Anything more creative than kill the big bad, the army falls immediately on the battlefield, Gungans celebrate, democracy is invented, and everybody lives happily ever after.

Here's a couple of more interesting ways:

• -White Walkers win
  • WW motivations are explained and more complex than "world domination"
  • -Bran is stuck in a time loop, becoming the NK in attempts to kill the NK
  • A time skip showing the war has lasted for years. Humans narrowly win, but Westeros is annihilated. Survivors set sail West
  • Jon Kills the NK, becomes the new NK, and agrees to take his kind back North. Peace at last? In the final shot Sansa is overseeing the laying of a new wall
  • Jon travels deep to the lands of always winter, finds the remains of a "mothership"
  • Jon becomes the lord of light and bran becomes the great other, this is the "real" game of thrones as they realize they are locked in an eternal battle for Planetos
  • The war is almost lost, Jon et al. realize Westeros was too ravished by years of war to stand a chance. With the help of Bran, Jon wargs back through time into Ned Stark and kills Lyanna, his own mother. Ned-Jon is beheaded by his father, but now Robert's rebellion has been prevented and everything after. Some time later, Raegar is crowned and we see that Illyrio has sent him three dragon's eggs as a gift. His toddler sister looks at them knowingly.

Most of these are stupid but more interesting than rehashing LOTR ending. Somewhere there existing an ending that is satisfying, interesting, and not an utterly boring rehash of the standard genre ending tropes.

9 hours ago, Iotun said:

It'll be Jon of course, because he's the manly, brooding hero man, and he's the only one who knows how to fight them, or something like that. He will die in the process, so that Dany can mourn for him, and we can have everybody go on and on about what a great hero he it.

My bet is on Sam the Slayer, the worst archer in the Night's Watch, who'll nick the NK with an obsidian arrowhead.

They already took the most oomph out of the coming battle. The wights in episode 6 were so brittle and weak compared to how they were portrayed before. They were almost unkillable, with severed body parts carrying on fighting. And now we get the seven samurai massacring them left right and center.

I have absolutely no doubt that they are taking the Stephen King approach - write yourself in a corner with a great enemy first to create suspension, and then just start pretending the enemy was weak all along so the heroes will survive what should have been impossible.

Meh. A decent army WOULD WIN at the battlements of Winterfell against these push overs, just bashing them on the head when they try to come over the walls. Who cares about the generic Z movie undead army in the North? But just in case, let's make them all die when NK falls.

Personally, I would have a big battle for the Dawn, I just wouldn't have the cliched, 'Kill the Night King, and all the rest of his minions die off'. Have a battle, kill the Night King, and then continue fighting to defear the rest of the army as in a real fight.

I also would leave this in the second half of the season, but not at the very end. Jon and Rhaegal die dies but Dany and Drogon survive with Dany seen as a hero, Dany let's Drogo go in a bittersweet farewell, realizes that this was her destiny, decides she doesn't want the throne anymore and disappears with him. Sansa inherits Winterfell after Jon dies, Cersei, not realizing Dany does not want the throne blows up a large part of King's Landing because she thinks she will have no chance to keep the throne. Jaime kills her and then kills himself.

Who takes the throne at the end? I would have it be Cersei's newborn, which was saved by Jaime or Tyrion before the destruction of the city. There's no democracy or change in the system of government. I think part of the point of Game of Thrones is that human are imperfect, and much like there is no perfect system and happy ever after endng in the real world, there can't be one in the show either. Dany should realize that she can't break the wheel, because it is part of human nature. All we have is that humanity has survived to continue on its imperfect path, and perhaps Tyrion is left to be in charge of Cersei's child and guide him to be a good ruler.

Archived