Siding with the Night King

Lerxst

3 minutes ago, MyLittleFinger said:

Well they certainly showed us how betrayal works by killing the children. Cersei could take lessons.

The Children of the Forest betrayed the Night King by siding with humanity at the end of the Long Night. Those traitors got what they desserved.

4 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

The Children of the Forest betrayed the Night King by siding with humanity at the end of the Long Night. Those traitors got what they desserved.

Hmm true. I forget myself. YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL.

Would there be a war for the dawn if those kids had just stayed off of the NK's lawn?  I mean he was just up north chillin' for 10,000 years and finally had enough with people coming up there and playing their music loudly and leaving their wineskins and beer kegs all over the place.  Last week while on his way to a diversity support rally one of his followers was killed by a gang of armed men.  It is not as if the NK had any plans of coming south before people started showing up and killing his peeps.  If he did want to go south it would be pretty easy for him to teleport into Cersei's chambers, kidnap her and bring her back to prove to the rest of the undead just how twisted that bitch is and justify a war in the south.

10 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

I think there's a difference, but I'm not really sure how cladding for towers vs. siding for houses really works, so maybe there isn't. Anyway: https://www.nachi.org/aluminum-siding-inspection.htm

Aluminum siding was all the rage for new middle-class American homes in the mid-20th century, especially in the upper midwest, but now it's more associated with cheap, out-of-date, small-town housing.

I'm not sure if the early DIY shows like This Old House are old enough that they would have had episodes about putting up aluminum siding like it was an exciting improvement or not, I mainly just like the idea of the Night King in Bob Vila's all-plaid outfits.

12 hours ago, storm.131 said:

And yet, whenever we see him and his cronies, they move at a leisurely pace...

I think that D&D made a HUGE mistake in introducing the Night King in the first place, then giving him extraordinary powers.  They should have stuck to the way the White Walkers and Wights appeared in the early seasons (ie faithful to what GRRM created in the books).  What D&D have produced instead is the kind of entertainment I usually avoid because I find it ridiculous (eg The Mummy franchise and similar works).

that's basic stuff.

in the books we have a million pages and...2 (i think) appearances from the WW/others.

that makes them mysterious, and removes them from whatever games humans play, even suggesting they are above them.

in the show, even meera once killed one, by just throwing a spear at one, and running away pushing a sled with brann on it. jon snow killed like a 2 or 3 of them.

Even the wights used to be like a ultra challenge... ygritte even mocks jon for not knowing how to talk to women, even though he "killed A dead mAn", like it's a thing a freaking savage wildling should raise their eyebrows to.

good thing the WW easily kill non dodging dragons.

13 hours ago, I Am TheSongOf IceAndFire said:

Gold!

I side with him. I was intrigued by the fallible heros stories originally, but hte past 3 seasons have made me despise the living. my only qualm is with the killing and resurrecting of the animals. what'd they ever do to king puddles? 

King puddles, as you call the saviour, is likely only raising the animal corpses to assist his holy mission in ridding Westeros of terribly plotted humans. I doubt he killed that poor cave bear.

Of course, dragons are evil magical allies of the badly written enemy, so are fair game.

1 hour ago, Holly Macaroni said:

that makes them mysterious, and removes them from whatever games humans play, even suggesting they are above them.

And that is exactly why the Others were more powerful and terrifying in the books.

The first time we saw a fully dressed White Walker I knew that whole aspect of the story would go downhill, and it has.  I mean, really?

People have been asking where they got the massive chains to pull Viserion out of the lake but I'm more interested in knowing where the White Walkers get their outfits.  I'd love to see a scene of the Night King being fitted for a new outfit and having a hissy fit when the tailor presents a fabric patterned with flowers "I SAID NO FLOWERS!" the way Joffrey did back in season 4.  LOL

On 8/21/2017 at 8:24 PM, Theon_is_Azor said:

I think the character who is most appealing in my eyes is the Hound. He has shown the most growth of all of them to me. He has gone from some marauding beast / almost unparalleled killing machine, to a man of God who, while still crass and crude, has a genuinely empathetic and principled compass. 

But as I said in another thread, the NK was created to keep man from killing the children of the forest. They, despite their flaws (namely killing anyone in sight with a pulse), serve to balance the recklessness of man. Something that is typified in nearly every one of our South of the Wall Heroes...And villains.

Morality is subjective. The night king seems to be evil, but he genuinely sees MAN as a danger. 

It's seems like it could be a religious war at this point, with the WW making those symbols with the corpses and the Lord of Light being involved. I think they're killing for the sake of their god. I'm curious if the children of the forest gave them the ability to animate the dead or if maybe their god gave them that power like the Lord of Light gave the power to resurrect people and also caused of them turning against the children.

54 minutes ago, Kizzle said:

It's seems like it could be a religious war at this point, with the WW making those symbols with the corpses and the Lord of Light being involved. I think they're killing for the sake of their god. I'm curious if the children of the forest gave them the ability to animate the dead or if maybe their god gave them that power like the Lord of Light gave the power to resurrect people and also caused of them turning against the children.

Well, Melisandre certainly seems to see it that way. Of course everyone who's not a servant of R'hllor is fighting for the Great Other whether they know it or not—but the Walkers are more than that, they're champions of the Great Other, serving him intentionally, in the same way Mel is serving R'hllor.*

But the question is why these beings who were created by the Children of the Forest to defend them against humanity would turn to the worship of a devil from a religion halfway around the world. Sure, there's always the possibility that he found them and came to them and convinced them to be his servants or something, but that doesn't seem to be the way gods work in this world. There are powers and events that people can interpret reasonably consistently as being the work of gods, but the gods don't appear on stage and talk to people.

---

* In the books, she puts things a little differently, calling them the children of the Great Other, and talking about them in a way that makes it sound like they may not be devoted champions so much as pawns or something like djinn.

3 hours ago, storm.131 said:

And that is exactly why the Others were more powerful and terrifying in the books.

The first time we saw a fully dressed White Walker I knew that whole aspect of the story would go downhill, and it has.  I mean, really?

People have been asking where they got the massive chains to pull Viserion out of the lake but I'm more interested in knowing where the White Walkers get their outfits.  I'd love to see a scene of the Night King being fitted for a new outfit and having a hissy fit when the tailor presents a fabric patterned with flowers "I SAID NO FLOWERS!" the way Joffrey did back in season 4.  LOL

"I don't care how cold it is, I WON'T wear a hat! I want to show off my kick ass horns!"

5 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

Waiting for winter. Needs to be cold south of the wall. Winter is here now. It's on. I think while waiting for winter the white walkers shut off the wights and played spades. 

Agreed. Why do so many people think the Night King should be in a hurry? What's his rush? He's just chillin' with his Walkers, knockin' back some cold ones, and keepin' it cool. He'll get there when he gets here, the Wall will still be there for him to knock down. (Or, if it's not, even better.)

10 hours ago, ummester said:

The way the NK has been staring at Jon, he obviously has a thing for him.

Poor guy's. He's wants to hit on Jon, but he just knows it'll go something like this:

"Hey, you look as hot as a a fire wight. You know, when fire and ice get together, things can get pretty steamy! Oh god, that was so cheesy. I'm so sorry. I meant: Winter will be coming for you all night. Did I mention that Winter is what I call my penis? Ew, no, that's just gross, I don't even know why I said that. Look, I'm a few millennia out of practice here, I really have no idea what I'm saying. You look like a nice guy, and I just—I don't even know. Are you even gay? My gaydar is so rusty. I'll just leave now."

Archived