Could Ghost survive the show?

12 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I'm kinda hoping he went off and joined Nymeria just to avoid being part of this inconsistent and often badly written  fan-fiction.

I hope so, because it seems to me that last night would have been the exact moment D&D sacrifice him.  They even said in the inside the episode they wanted to have an emotional reaction by Viscerion getting killed and then another even worse one with him coming back.  I mean they could have gone all in killing off Ghost.  But yeah I agree I really hope we just don't see him anymore because at least if that's true he is still alive. Somewhere....  but it would be cool to see a scene with Jon flying Rhaegal low to the ground and Ghost running by their side.  

My theory is that he will be dead by the end of TWOW.  We've already passed that point in the show and they have no idea what to do with him.  So he'll probably die in a similar fashion to Summer.  I don't think any of the Wolves will make it to the very end.

I'm hoping the last two wolves survive. I agree the end game will be all magic is gone: dragons, eights, resurrected people, magical people, dragons, etc. The direwolves aren't magical. They're just big ass wolves. Hoping Ghost and Nymeria bug out and live happily ever after in the north.

13 hours ago, Battle Kitten said:

The direwolves aren't magical. They're just big ass wolves. Hoping Ghost and Nymeria bug out and live happily ever after in the north.

Exactly. The only magical thing about them is their bonds with the Starks, and that's not because the wolves are magic, it's because the Starks are magic.

Jeg vil ulven---shit, I mean I want the wolves remaining to live. It would really bum me out if all the wolves ended up dying. 

I can see Nymeria prowling the Riverlands until she dies. Ghost will either never appear against because CGI budget, live, or die in some heroic way (I hope).

I would honestly rather him die than him just be referred to without even seeing him because of the whole CGI thing

(Also, how is it they have enough money in the CGI budget for dragon and wight bear fights but not for Ghost? I don't know anything about CGI but if they can do those, why not at least one shot of Ghost following Sansa around or sitting by the table while she holds court or hell, saying hi to Arya or something)

Well I think he will share Jon's fate, whatever that turns out to be. Jon is ice (the North/Ghost) and fire (the South/dragons). But given his absence in this season, for no better reason than budget, I don't know. You can't really make story predictions based on such arbitrary restrictions.

7 minutes ago, Pandean said:

(Also, how is it they have enough money in the CGI budget for dragon and wight bear fights but not for Ghost? I don't know anything about CGI but if they can do those, why not at least one shot of Ghost following Sansa around or sitting by the table while she holds court or hell, saying hi to Arya or something)

It seems that due to the cost of CGI, they only want to use it when it is 'essenital'. The dragons are essential. Ghost, in their eyes, seems to not be essential. Which is a joke and has left a big fat elephant in the room for the whole season.

Hmmm...interesting question.

The direwolves have virtually no purpose on the show. They have been loyal pets and guard dogs, nothing more, where it is a very different situation in the book and the bond between the Starks and their direwolves is MUCH stronger.

I think it is very likely the two remaining direwolves, Ghost and Nymeria, will both be killed off in season 8.

I imagine Nymeria and her wolf pack will all die after saving Arya and/or her siblings from danger.

Ghost will die fighting to save/help Jon. It may even be the NK himself who kills Ghost.

The scenario some have predicted for Arya and/Jon to die and live on in the body of their direwolf may be a valid possibility in the books. In the show, Jon and Arya are not wargs so it isnt happening.

The way the show unceremoniously killed off Summer proved how the showrunners feel about the direwolves. They are not important in the show universe. In the books, Brans connection to Summer is intense and easily the strongest direwolf/master bond, but Show!Bran wasnt even that concerned about the death of his wolf.

2 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Hmmm...interesting question.

The direwolves have virtually no purpose on the show. They have been loyal pets and guard dogs, nothing more, where it is a very different situation in the book and the bond between the Starks and their direwolves is MUCH stronger.

I think it is very likely the two remaining direwolves, Ghost and Nymeria, will both be killed off in season 8.

I imagine Nymeria and her wolf pack will all die after saving Arya and/or her siblings from danger.

Ghost will die fighting to save/help Jon. It may even be the NK himself who kills Ghost.

The scenario some have predicted for Arya and/Jon to die and live on in the body of their direwolf may be a valid possibility in the books. In the show, Jon and Arya are not wargs so it isnt happening.

The way the show unceremoniously killed off Summer proved how the showrunners feel about the direwolves. They are not important in the show universe. In the books, Brans connection to Summer is intense and easily the strongest direwolf/master bond, but Show!Bran wasnt even that concerned about the death of his wolf.

Unrelated, sort of, but since we know the Stark kids are wargs/have strong connections with their direwolves in the book!verse

Does Sansa also have a warging ability or no? Since Lady is dead and whatnot. 

But yeah, show direwolves are just cool pets, it seems.

13 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

It seems that due to the cost of CGI, they only want to use it when it is 'essenital'. The dragons are essential. Ghost, in their eyes, seems to not be essential. Which is a joke and has left a big fat elephant in the room for the whole season.

I think we all understand why dragons would get preference over direwolves in the CGI budget, both from their critical importance in the story (for Danys arc and also just being the Westeros nuclear bomb in terms of power) and also the coolness factor and the epic possibilities with them on screen.

However, I do have to question why a CGI wight polar bear got preference over direwolves. They have no more coolness factor and are definitely far below the direwolves in storytelling potential. 

Id have much rather seen Ghost accompanying Jon and fighting with him against the wights (and surviving) and the bond between them than a stupid and pointless polar bear.

8 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Unrelated, sort of, but since we know the Stark kids are wargs/have strong connections with their direwolves in the book!verse

Does Sansa also have a warging ability or no? Since Lady is dead and whatnot. 

But yeah, show direwolves are just cool pets, it seems.

I believe yes, in the books Sansa is also a warg but her abilities never manifested because her direwolf died so early.

In the showverse, Bran is the only warg amongst the Starks/Jon.

I feel the showrunners deliberately had just Bran as the sole warg: 

1. To ensure the main characters all had distinct unique talents to make it simpler for audience to comprehend

2. Minimise the characters with freakish magical abilities as sometimes casual audiences can find those harder to relate to and connect with as they can come across as superheroes instead of real human beings.

I accept these reasons, but then it makes killing off Summer so early seem even more stupid. That was the one direwolf they should have kept alive and killed Ghost and Nymeria instead.

Archived