Could Ghost survive the show?

8 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

The Nymeria scene was purely a set up.

Its pretty obvious at some point in Season 8, Arya and her siblings will be in trouble and Nymeria and wolf pack will come to rescue. The entire pack including Nymeria will die in the process but the Starks will survive (at least that attack anyway).

Ghost similarly will come to rescue Jon and die in process.

As plastic throne said, the show is just pure Hollywood now. It has no substance.

I don't think Ghost will survive the series.  By now he'd already be long dead in the books and I can't see the show keeping him around for the sake of it.

14 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

It seems that due to the cost of CGI, they only want to use it when it is 'essenital'. The dragons are essential. Ghost, in their eyes, seems to not be essential. Which is a joke and has left a big fat elephant in the room for the whole season.

I think it's pretty clear now that the Direwolves in the books aren't important to the end game of the saga.  D&D probably found that out pretty early on and made the judgement call during budgetary reviews.

14 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

I believe yes, in the books Sansa is also a warg but her abilities never manifested because her direwolf died so early.

In the showverse, Bran is the only warg amongst the Starks/Jon.

I feel the showrunners deliberately had just Bran as the sole warg: 

1. To ensure the main characters all had distinct unique talents to make it simpler for audience to comprehend

2. Minimise the characters with freakish magical abilities as sometimes casual audiences can find those harder to relate to and connect with as they can come across as superheroes instead of real human beings.

I accept these reasons, but then it makes killing off Summer so early seem even more stupid. That was the one direwolf they should have kept alive and killed Ghost and Nymeria instead.

I think the way Summer goes will be similar to the books (although I think it may be an Other that kills him rather than a bunch of Wights).  Ghost may be dead before Summer in the books, primarily because as soon as Jon wargs into him for his second life Ghost is pretty much dead from that point on and to get Jon out of Ghost will almost certainly mean the physical death of Ghost.  However I am expecting Jon to spend most of TWOW in Ghost so if Summer dies before Jon returns technically Summer dies first.

It's been obvious for a long time in the books what will happen with Nymeria.  Her and her unbelievable giant wolf pack are a plot device to tear into the Undead army at some point.  So Nymeria will almost certainly be the last Direwolf to die.

8 hours ago, Reisendame said:

I was thinking the same as you, but I wonder: did they feel they *had* to kill off Summer in order to create the 3ER Bran we're now seeing? His strong connection to Summer could have been what kept him "human," in a way. Now he's apparently devoid of emotional connections. 

I've always wondered about any hidden significance of Sansa losing Lady so early on in the story. How does this contribute to who she becomes?

I think these questions can be better answered if/ when the books are finished.... who knows what D&D are thinking, aside from CGI cost?

Sansa was the most "Tully" of the Stark children, and losing Lady was sort of a symbolic gesture to show that she was now even less "Stark" than her siblings.  Plus it was an early indicator of the cruelty of the Lannisters and the cost of her leaving the north.

3 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think the way Summer goes will be similar to the books (although I think it may be an Other that kills him rather than a bunch of Wights).  Ghost may be dead before Summer in the books, primarily because as soon as Jon wargs into him for his second life Ghost is pretty much dead from that point on and to get Jon out of Ghost will almost certainly mean the physical death of Ghost.  However I am expecting Jon to spend most of TWOW in Ghost so if Summer dies before Jon returns technically Summer dies first.

It's been obvious for a long time in the books what will happen with Nymeria.  Her and her unbelievable giant wolf pack are a plot device to tear into the Undead army at some point.  So Nymeria will almost certainly be the last Direwolf to die.

I agree with this entirely and am looking forward to how Jon/Ghost is portrayed in TWOW, and how losing Ghost to become Jon again changes him.  Only death pays for life, after all.

22 hours ago, Pandean said:

I know book Sansa has a connection, literary-wise, to birds. I always wondered if she would end up warging into a bird or something. Who knows?

I do think the same, it's less confusing to the casual viewer and also makes each Stark sibling have something

Jon is the commander, Arya is the assassin, Bran is the mage, Sansa is the politician

But killing off Summer was dumb.

As for Sansa, I guess I always assumed that she wasn't one or that she could not develop that power because her direwolf died, however, now that I think about it, it seems that all the wolves have similar personalities to their human owners (at least when it comes to the Stark children and Jon).  Ghost is the introverted one who looks different as it is albino for instance; Shaggydog seems a little angry, as Rickon was when everyone went South and felt abandoned in some way, Lady was said to be the gentlest of the pack, i.e. the more "ladylike" just like Sansa.  This in a way leads me to believe that she is likely to have the potential but possibly only if she ever gets to own another animal she is very connected to.  Not sure if this makes sense to be honest but thinking that if either the kids influence the personality of the dogs or vice-versa this is because the connection is so strong that this kind of relationship (ability to warg on them) is possible.

Of course Bran goes a lot beyond this as he is able to warg Hodor and other animals but I think the other Stark siblings are unlikely to be able to do this.

Now, with Jon my feeling is that in the books he will warg into Ghost and this will preserve his life in some way and become his vehicle for "coming back."  Again this sounds very convoluted.  I was thinking that he may preserve his soul as it were within ghost until such time as his body can come back again or something on those lines.

I would certainly love to see Ghost again in the show although for budget reasons I guess this is probably unlikely...

8 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

As for Nymeria I do wonder if her arc is not in fact connected with UnCat who has now become so dehuminised that her unlife seems to have no other purpose other than revenge.  Also they are hanging around in the vicinity...  This is probably completely tinfoil of course but I wonder if this were to happen at all whether it would due to Arya warging into her and finding out what Cat has become and giving her the "gift"???

Archived