WHats up with the lightbringer??

Charlie Hustle

Lightbringer is a sword of living fire, not a flaming metal sword like Thoros's, or a fake flaming metal sword like Stannis's.

Stannis's sword was glamored by Melisandre to appear to burn, but it didn't set things on fire or give off heat. She apparently hoped that would be good enough to count as Lightbringer for the prophecy, so Stannis could save the world, but it obviously wasn't.

Thoros at least originally used a plain old sword covered in wildfire with some kind of trick for setting it ablaze right before combat. In the books, it's implied that, somewhere around the same time he started being able to bring Beric back from the dead, he may have also started to be able to set his sword aflame with only "blood and prayer". I don't think they ever mentioned that on the show, so he may still be using the wildfire trick instead.

Beric's sword is presumably the same as Thoros's.

The books also hint that other warrior priests of R'hllor may be able to set their swords ablaze, or at least they used to be able to at some time in the past. None of their swords were Lightbringer. Presumably it's the same "blood and prayer" thing as Thoros.

Lightbringer knows nothing. 

8 hours ago, falcotron said:

Beric's sword is presumably the same as Thoros's.

Nope.  Thoros uses wildfire.  Beric uses his own blood.  This is shown clearly in the show and books during his trial by combat with the Hound.  They played a little fast and loose with it on Sunday though. 

Edit:  I totally forgot that wildfire is green, so unless the showrunners also forgot that then it's doubtful Thoros is using it for his sword.  

Hes probably using his red priest powers, I just don't remember him using that particular power before in either the books or the show.  

39 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Lightbringer knows nothing. 

Nope.  Thoros uses wildfire.  Beric uses his own blood.  This is shown clearly in the show and books during his trial by combat with the Hound.  They played a little fast and loose with it on Sunday though. 

I know Thoros used wildfire in the old days, but are you sure h isn't using blood and prayer now, just like Beric?

He certainly seems to be making the exact same flame-on/flame-off gestures as Beric, and getting the exact same effect.

14 minutes ago, falcotron said:

I know Thoros used wildfire in the old days, but are you sure h isn't using blood and prayer now, just like Beric?

He uses blood and prayer now in the books, ever since his magic started really working (which we all know is the result of Dany's dragons' existence making all magic in the world more powerful). I checked AWoIaF. Back when it was wildfire, he had to keep replacing his sword.

We can assume the same is true in the show. If it were wildfire, it would be green.

7 hours ago, falcotron said:

I think the showrunners were being lazy when it came to Thoros's flaming sword.  He very well could have been using blood although that isn't supported by any prior episodes or anything in the books.  At least not that I recall.  

7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

He uses blood and prayer now in the books, ever since his magic started really working

You're probably right, I just don't remember.  I don't think they every showed Thoros doing it on the show though have they?  It felt so tacked on last episode it kind of bugged me.  

11 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

You're probably right, I just don't remember.  I don't think they every showed Thoros doing it on the show though have they?  It felt so tacked on last episode it kind of bugged me.  

AWoIaF (the wiki associated with Westeros.org) says so. I don't think they've had an opportunity to show it on the show before now.

2 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

AWoIaF (the wiki associated with Westeros.org) says so. I don't think they've had an opportunity to show it on the show before now.

Yeah, says the same in the WOIAF app.  My memory is garbage these days.  Totally forgot about that. 

So I guess now the question is are they using different methods?  It says Thoros uses magic alone, and in the books and show it has Beric using his blood.

So can Beric do it because he's a "Fire Wight", or can he do it because he's now a true believer like Thoros?

One means that Jon can also do it, while the other makes it very unlikely.  

2 hours ago, DigUpHerBones said:

I had hopes, in the show world, Beric was being used as a vessel to deliver LB to Jon and Jon would then turn Longclaw over to Jorah.

Was hoping for the exact same thing.  I also thought that when Beric gave the flaming sword to Jon, something extraordinary would happen.  For a super duper special character, the show seems really reluctant to give him any super duper special powers (not counting plot armor, of which he has plenty).

Archived